The Woolworths Thread (3 Viewers)

MMacka

HSC
N/A
just remiding you once again that i hate you.
Aww, I love you. <3 :p

I'm going to have a bath now to relax and think of all the fun I will be having tomorrow water zorbing and finally having a day of rest. Maybe fitting in some study before I leave tomorrow. :D

HSC
Aww, I love you. <3 :p

I'm going to have a bath now to relax and think of all the fun I will be having tomorrow water zorbing and finally having a day of rest. Maybe fitting in some study before I leave tomorrow. :D
I'm going to console myself with the fact that a) 9 hours on sunday rates is nice, b) our SSM is manager tomorrow so its not like I have to do anything, c) slack sundays with my bestie <3, and d) its the last sunday that we're open until june.

greekgun

HSC
Should never try and catch after somebody who steals, mind you you are not legally (?) allowed to once they leave the store anyway, up to the police from there.
I think you mean your not obliged to chase them after they leave the store, but if they have left the store you can still go after them if you want...i think its called a citizens arrest.

edit:
The power to arrest is granted by both federal and state legislation, however the exact power granted differs depending on jurisdiction. The power to arrest for a Federal offence is granted by s.3Z of the Crimes Act 1914. Under the Act, a person who is not a police constable may, without warrant, arrest another person if they believe on reasonable grounds that:

* the other person is committing or has just committed an indictable offence; and
* proceedings by summons against the other person would not: ensure the appearance of the person before a court in respect of the offence; prevent a repetition or continuation of the offence or the commission of another offence; prevent the concealment, loss or destruction of evidence relating to the offence; prevent harassment of, or interference with, a person who may be required to give evidence in proceedings in respect of the offence; prevent the fabrication of evidence in respect of the offence; or would not preserve the safety or welfare of the person.

A person who arrests another person must, as soon as practicable after the arrest, arrange for the other person, and any property found on the other person, to be delivered into the custody of a constable.

chandle

HSC
N/A
Should never try and catch after somebody who steals, mind you you are not legally (?) allowed to once they leave the store anyway, up to the police from there.
I'm pretty sure in most states you are allowed to perform a citizen's arrest, as long as you see that person committing a crime. With something like shoplifting, the only way to be 100% sure that you can say that you saw them committing a crime, would be to watch everything they did between taking the items off the shelf and leaving the store without paying for them.

However, most companies instruct their staff to not to do such a thing, because if they actually didn't steal anything in the end you can end up with court action for false imprisonment - and also for the staff's safety. They prefer instead to train staff to prevent stealing taking place.

bdude

HSC
I'm going to console myself with the fact that a) 9 hours on sunday rates is nice, b) our SSM is manager tomorrow so its not like I have to do anything, c) slack sundays with my bestie <3, and d) its the last sunday that we're open until june.
To me, not opening on Sundays, just sounds weird.

Also does anyone get that kind of schadenfreude-like feeling when you're leaving like a 4 hour shift just as it's getting insanely busy

HSC

Also does anyone get that kind of schadenfreude-like feeling when you're leaving like a 4 hour shift just as it's getting insanely busy
I'm not going to comment on how backwards Perth is.

And I never get that feeling, I'm ALWAYS on close shifts. I absolutely relish an 8-11 Friday shift that comes up once in blue moon, because then yes, they get absolutely hammered as soon as you leave without fail.

jirwin

HSC

Myself and another operator were working 3hr shifts. She was finishing at 1.30pm and I was finishing at 1.45pm so only 15min difference. She got to leave on time, but 8min later we were absolutely smashed. I didn't get off a register until 1.50pm. Just my luck.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Just had one of the most horrible days in Bakery today. Had one bakery assistant go home sick and we had the 2IC that doesn't help us pack production at all and takes super long lunch/tea breaks.
I'm going to have a terrible week :)

Monday: My manager is doing overnight at another store, so I will have her for all of 3 or 4 hours tomorrow. She will probably come in in the afternoon and do some cleaning.
So I will run the front including full freezer fill by 7.30 am, and full range of bread to be packed by 8 am (this includes all shelves, plus 7 tables to be covered).
Obvs I'm running the day.

Tuesday: My manager has the day off due to her late husband's annversary. So I am running the day again. (Paying her sick)

Wednesday: Overstaffed, lol. -_-

Thursday: Running the day... my manager's day off.

Friday: My only day off.

Saturday: My manager's day off. Fuck all staff due to be being a stubborn bitch and cutting hours when people don't deserve them.

Sunday: My manager's day off again. Fuck all staff, but 1 pm open. Should be decent.

Last edited:

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Supervisors with Safe Combos - thats a scary thought!

In our store, only Store Manager, SSM, SSO, SSA and DM's have safe combo. Theoretically, there is actually supposed to be a limit to how many safe combo holders there are per store, but not sure how strictly this is applied.

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC

In our store, only Store Manager, SSM, SSO, SSA and DM's have safe combo. Theoretically, there is actually supposed to be a limit to how many safe combo holders there are per store, but not sure how strictly this is applied.
Not even office cashiers? Unless SSO or SSA is one of them. (All of these fancy names and abbreviations you Ozzies have)

A big management restructure is taking place here atm... After a year and a half since our last one left, we are getting a new STM. (Dry Goods Manager it's called over here). The CSM has been offered the position and she has taken it, and I hate the CSM and it's going to be worst now she is practically the 3IC of the store. (Although her main responsibility will only be Dry and longlife Depts, which makes me happy) The Checkouts 2IC does not want to take the CSM position mainly because she would be reporting to the SSM, who every man and his dog hates.

Our SM is transferring to a new, larger store so his job is available. My manager is going on 1 years Maternity leave starting in June, so her secondment is available. I've applied, but so has the Meat manager, mainly because and I quote "Oh Produce is a lot easier so I want it" But I highly doubt she'll get it.

So lots of changes happening within the coming months o_O Oh and our Liquor manager has resigned too.

Last edited:

greekgun

HSC

Yeah, i really dont understand why people other than managers and cash office people need to know the safe combo. But i guess each to there own.

bdude

HSC
I'm not going to comment on how backwards Perth is.
This is in Perth!!?? I thought this was maybe a regional store or something.

How can there not be 7 day trading in a capital city?

EDIT: and I thought Tassie was pretty backwards.

Mannequin25

HSC
ooooh what a week! Both thursday and friday we were smashed! The csm, 2IC, me and one of the trading managers were all on large lanes both days with the SM running the floor. We were 20K up BOTH DAYS :mad: someone didnt plan sales very well......

Anyways, im back to my 2IC relief for the next 6 weeks :guitar: Gonna be interesting tomorrow, the CSM is away and its just me by myself the whole day (usually we ALWAYS have 2 supervisors). She was like "ooh you can handle it! just remember to use ur express alerts' (which DONT come when we call them, only when she does! grrr). Expect a rant tomorrow haha

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
I think you mean your not obliged to chase them after they leave the store, but if they have left the store you can still go after them if you want...i think its called a citizens arrest.

edit:
Meh that's just what I was told via a manager. Also Woolworths policy that we must never EVER put ourselves at risk and/or pursue a person past our store limits.
Also, if something happens to you outside of the actual store, Woolworths won't cover it. And get this, they wont even cover you if you are not INSIDE of the checkpoints/registers. For example, if you are walking up the entrance and you get attacked, you will not be covered because you have not walked through the entrance gates/registers even though you are actually 'inside the store'.

Crazy.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Another rant.
Went up to the local IGA today and I must say, the service there is absolutely fucking terrible.
2 cashiers, one at the front of the store, and one at the back. Lines were long as.
Got to the register finally and the stupid mole didn't even look at me.
Said very softly "$xx.xx - cashout?". I'm like yep.....

Did a P.A message about the store closing whilst serving me (dont care), gave me my cashout and didnt even give me a look OR parting comment and started serving the next customer.

Can't believe the fucking bitch moles who work there, EVERY SINGLE TIME i go in there I get pathetic service from those bimbo's. I don't think that could ever happen at Woolworths or Coles due to management being all hiped up about that stuff.
Crappy third world supermarket tbh.

Harry778

HSC
All of our supervisors have safe combos. But we have to pack up the tills into safe at close.
I am super pro now :)
All our supervisors do too. Cos on weekdays we close at midnight and the office people go home at 9.30pm or 10pm. DM is always to lazy to do anything but sit in the office while we put the money in the safe. When I do close supervision I always see the DM walking around telling people what to do, or in the lunch room. haha.

5am office tomorrow :(

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
Meh that's just what I was told via a manager. Also Woolworths policy that we must never EVER put ourselves at risk and/or pursue a person past our store limits.
Also, if something happens to you outside of the actual store, Woolworths won't cover it. And get this, they wont even cover you if you are not INSIDE of the checkpoints/registers. For example, if you are walking up the entrance and you get attacked, you will not be covered because you have not walked through the entrance gates/registers even though you are actually 'inside the store'.

Crazy.
Policies may differ because we are in different countries, but here you are covered for anything if you are within the perimeter of our property, whether it is deliberate or accidental. Also if you cause yourself a LTI (Lost time injury) then the company pays all medical costs, and you get paid leave which does not affect any of your occurred sick leave.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
ooooh what a week! Both thursday and friday we were smashed! The csm, 2IC, me and one of the trading managers were all on large lanes both days with the SM running the floor. We were 20K up BOTH DAYS :mad: someone didnt plan sales very well......
Lolololol. I have never known a manager from SSM upwards who would every be capable of running the floor for 1 minute.

Today was so super can I just say. I was operator/supervisor superman til 9AM, and then after that I successfully conveyed to my operators that the SSM was on the warpath, so they all put their heads down and went to work like good little Oompa-loompas.

Then on lunch, which an operator (who discovered used to be a staff trainer years ago at IGA even though she's only 17!?) did remarkably well, i dusted off the EFT Manual tub, printed off instructions from storenet and annotated them with useful information. Whilst I was doing this I found a letter from an old Office Cashier to an old SSS dated March 1998 - THAT'S how much TLC has been paid to that particular plastic tub. That's 12 years of very inattentive CSMs.

And also, i was serving this old man and asked if he had a Frequent Shopper Card - "No and I don't want one. I saw it on TV, those things are destroying the world, Twittering and credit cards and stuff, it's all fucked. There's kids in Laos I think, digging up unexploded bombs for a few bucks."

Frequent Shopper Card-Twitter-Unexploded bombs from the Vietnam War. I can definitely see the relationship here.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)