The Woolworths Thread (1 Viewer)

yoddle

is cool
HSC
60/40?! omg.

At my store we have 4-6 pages of rosters for front end, and there are 2 older men who work on checkouts (it's their second job, supporting either their families or to help sponsor their families coming from overseas) and one school aged guy who works weekends mostly. That's it for guys.
I was going to write something along the lines of "OMG!!!" until i realised that when I leave, there will only be four males left on front end, all of which are 18 or below, one of which only ever works every second Sunday and another who hardly gets any hours cos we don't have any money, which pretty much leaves a sixteen year old who gets like 21+ hours a week even though he's only in Grade 10. The other is mostly in Deli and he's a bit slow anyway.

Even the mentally handicapped trolley collector has quit.

But this is not usually the case, as my old store and babikakez have proven. Disregard wixxy. I think my old store probs had 6-8 school aged boys, 1-3 uni and 3-4 full/part timers on front end, and then a few more we could steal from perishables etc, plus two boy supervisors, and when i left another boy supervisor came as well i fink.

Last edited:

jirwin

HSC
Two missed calls from my store in the last 35 minutes. They've been missed calls for a reason.

Just warning you all now, every time I post from now until 11.59am Friday, I will be spamming you with my word counts. I'm in here enough that you can all put up with it.

94/2000, 0/3000.

;)
Off to a great start :) what are the word counts for?

HSC
Off to a great start :) what are the word counts for?
2000 words due monday 4pm for Australian Foreign Policy - looking at Australia as a middle power.

3000 words due Friday 12pm for Management. Theoretically, its a group assignment, but I've pretty much found myself doing the whole thing due to my shit group. About why people in a fictional law firm hate their jobs.

For relevance, this is why I'm so pissed that I have to work Thursday night when I asked in MARCH for it off. I know that I should never have had my leave approved for next thursday (seeing as our 2IC is on holidays) but is there a reason why my 3IC can't do ONE thursday night. Or even the supervisor they originally had doing thursday nights at the beginning of the year, I know that they want to use her as an operator during the days, but seriously, I didn't think I was asking much.

Oh, and I have to fit in an oral presentation (15 minutes ish) to be presented on Thursday morning.

210/2000 for Foreign Policy :)

HSC
No, I'm south of the river near the freeway. My store is the closest Woolies to your uni. Man I think I'm so identifiable on here (n.b. My name isn't allannah or anything like it). But then again, even if I hadn't said so much that would identify me, I bet everyone would know I'd be the only worker to come on a Woolworths forum, haha.

It's the area in Perth with the most people from Asia, I don't really know why. (I saw it in the newspaper) There's three good public schools nearby and that's one draw, but some of the suburbs aren't in their zones.

Better than bogans I guess, but the price checking can get quite ferocious at times.
Hah, I know exactly where you are too! :) Starts with a "b" doesn't it? Mine is the next nearest to babikakez' uni. ;) ^_^. And I go her uni as well lol.

HSC
Hah, I know exactly where you are too! :) Starts with a "b" doesn't it? Mine is the next nearest to babikakez' uni. ;) ^_^. And I go her uni as well lol.
Haha, we have quite the Perth crew happening here. You're in Psych yeah?

Does your store start with an M? Perhaps an S? I actually can't remember where you are, but I know you've said :)

My essay is fucked, going for a nap I think.

Last edited:

NNS7

HSC
N/A
CoreComms we received (we're a NSW store in region 7) had a 5 carton limit, but pretty sure some supervisors refused more than one carton/customer :uhoh:

I was proud to have purchased the last carton of ANY Winfield variety lol
we had a six carton limit, but appaz someone at the Big W nearish to where I work didn't get the message, they sold one customer $18,000 worth, in the one transaction!!! managers were pissed, they're calling it smoke gate lol!

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
94/2000, 0/3000.

;)
I swear to God lol, more than 2 posts with word counts/day and I'm reporting you for spam :p
It's for your own good! Banned off bos = more work done = everyone's a winner :rolleyes:

we had a six carton limit, but appaz someone at the Big W nearish to where I work didn't get the message, they sold one customer $18,000 worth, in the one transaction!!! managers were pissed, they're calling it smoke gate lol!
$18K wtf?! Surely it's more like 1.8K and got wildly exaggerated somewhere along the line?!?!
Our STM thought it was bad with one customer who wanted to buy about 5K.... in cash.... TRUE STORY! The things you hear when you sit on your bum in the office waiting for approval from Risk & Safety for further treatment lulz. :cool:

brookie94

HSC
I swear to God lol, more than 2 posts with word counts/day and I'm reporting you for spam :p
It's for your own good! Banned off bos = more work done = everyone's a winner :rolleyes:
hahaha go look at the rep i just gave you :p

HSC

$18K wtf?! Surely it's more like 1.8K and got wildly exaggerated somewhere along the line?!?!
Our STM thought it was bad with one customer who wanted to buy about 5K.... in cash.... TRUE STORY! The things you hear when you sit on your bum in the office waiting for approval from Risk & Safety for further treatment lulz. :cool:
haha, the whole word count spam doesn't even work anyway. Its not like I do any more work :p

And considering we (only) did 26k on smokes on Thursday (and we had NOTHING left), I also think that 18k in one trans is a bit ridiculous.

That conversation with your STM sounds at least mildly interesting, when I was at the hospital with our DM she tried to convince me that Twilight was amazing. Bleurgh.

Last edited:

greekgun

HSC
Do you guys think the increased tax, thus an increase in price on smokes is right?
I mean, more that half the selling price of smokes goes to tax.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
I dunno. I think that the burden on public resources from smokers is significant, and i'd much prefer my taxes be spent on treatment for people who've had a car accident or a heart attack than on someone suffering from lung cancer cos they've chosen to smoke all their life. HOWEVER that's a very slippery slope, because the person who had the accident might have chosen to speed or been on crack behind the wheel, and the heart attack victim might have chosen to have a very poor diet.

brookie94

HSC
I dunno. I think that the burden on public resources from smokers is significant, and i'd much prefer my taxes be spent on treatment for people who've had a car accident or a heart attack than on someone suffering from lung cancer cos they've chosen to smoke all their life. HOWEVER that's a very slippery slope, because the person who had the accident might have chosen to speed or been on crack behind the wheel, and the heart attack victim might have chosen to have a very poor diet.
my thoughts EXACTLY. hit the nail right on the head here.
i believe that smoking is horrible and disguisting, it destroys lives when people get sick from it and its hard to watch young people putting themselves through that and they dont realise or care about the consequences of it.
HOWEVER, there are other things that are doing this but not in such as obvious way, like you said, unhealthy diets etc.
and what people choose to do with their lives is their choice but yes, i believe that things like this should have higher taxes but the taxes collected from cigs etc. should all be going to hospitals to show that it really is for the health care system like the gov. says because we all know that the money will me mis-spent on shit like always

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
I hope the cost gots up another $5 a packet. Fucking smokers.
There is only four guys INCLUDING me on service. That is also including a guy who does every department in the store and has only now just started training on service.

BSammy

HSC
I think my store Is almost half guys on service.

But Half of them are fucking hopeless, and hence don't get any hours.

Thinking of actual decent staff, probably 1/3 guys on service.

lucysposaro

HSC
N/A
hi everyone my name is lucy im new here just got a job at safeway as a deli assistant and completed my induction today can anyone give me some advice on the deli area? ill be working at south preston

thanks

HSC
Welcome to BoS! I'm not too sure about the rules here but it's not advisable for you to put BOTH your name and your store name here because you can be identified.

During your induction, you should have received a packet informing you about your in-store training. When you go for that, you'll learn more about what your job requires. I don't work deli...well, did a 20min shift there before so it doesn't really count. Perhaps someone else will help you.

greekgun

HSC
Hmm, i quite agree that smoking is a disgusting habbit, but increasing the price on it because its unhealthy isnt quite right, i mean its a lifestyle choice...why not jack up the maccas prices too? But it would be nice too see the government reduce income tax in place of increasing tax on smokes but that will never happen.

There is only four guys INCLUDING me on service. That is also including a guy who does every department in the store and has only now just started training on service.
Wow, only 4. We have about 6 guys out of about 100 (just guessing here) people working in service. 2 of which are supervisors, and me who they keep telling they want to make supervisor but never do -_-.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
i mean its a lifestyle choice...why not jack up the maccas prices too?
I doubt fast food puts AS much of a strain on the health system, but I could be wrong. BTW, they already thought of it, the 'fast-food tax. ;)

Wow, only 4. We have about 6 guys out of about 100 (just guessing here) people working in service. 2 of which are supervisors, and me who they keep telling they want to make supervisor but never do -_-.
I lied, we have 6 including me* (one is our 2IC) :p

ekul444

HSC
N/A
heard some news about the EBA today..
-it 'comes into effect' from next week
-payrise likely to be next week
-back pay to be paid out early-mid June

one interesting thing that my SSM was telling me about is that there is a new rule that you can not be on checkouts for more than 8 hours.. never heard anything about that before?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)