The Woolworths Thread (1 Viewer)

britto89

HSC
Isn't it 5, 5, 7? Something like that. If not, just go through the menus until you find it? Easy peasy.
Scan away, press esc and let it upload. Done.
In the morning it is also a good idea to wait 5mins or so before going to print it out. With everybody doing GapScans in the morning the upload and download from HOST can be less than instant. If you select to View the report first then you can make sure its actually populated with informatio before hitting print.

nanakid12

HSC
I know this is a question which the answer to, I should know buuuuutt... what is HOST? Is it the central database for all Woolies stock, reports, etc?

jenniferkeegan2

HSC
N/A
Hey can any1 help me im starting nightfil at Woolworths in Western Australia, what do i wear on my first night and is a uniform givin to me eventually cheers!!

oldmanjoe

HSC
N/A
Hey can any1 help me im starting nightfil at Woolworths in Western Australia, what do i wear on my first night and is a uniform givin to me eventually cheers!!
Wear a white dress shirt, black dress pants and smart black shoes.

A uniform (polo) will be provided to you at the company's leisure. This can take from your first shift up to 2 months (a coworker of mine experienced this)

Hope this helped, and welcome to the Woolies family!

sb26

HSC
Calculated hours and stuff for this week ... 39.75... as casual :p

It was a tough one. 2IC sick for two weeks, CSM sick on and off, and everyday more people calling in sick (last sunday we had 7 people call in).

How do people's stores deal with stock? We have 4 trolleys and baskets on the floor at the end of the registers. But there's been so little time and actual staff to attend to it.

thatchick84

HSC
Always lurked but never replied :)
In answer to above question about coping with stock: the best idea I came up with is, we use a parcel pick up trolley (I think we are the only store with PPU). Put 12 baskets on it (helps we only have 12 aisles) and sort into the numbered baskets. That way the staff member returning stock doesn't have to keep going up and down each aisle :)
5 trolleys worth tonight and we got it down to 6 baskets. Hope that helps.

britto89

HSC
I know this is a question which the answer to, I should know buuuuutt... what is HOST? Is it the central database for all Woolies stock, reports, etc?
It refers to the mainframe that sits in Sydney somewhere as opposed to the local store system

nanakid12

HSC
Oh okay, thanks britto.

Far out, you guyz have a lot of stock ha! We generally only have 1-2 baskets of it. Some days we have a half a trolley worth, but that's only when it doesn't get done for a few days.
We just keep the basket in one of those half-trolleys and keep it as the secured trolley for the express lane we never use.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
We have 12 tubs sitting on one of those big ass home delivery trolleys as mentioned above. On any day, they are all completely full and there will be another 3-5 FULL trolleys of stock sitting in front of it.
It's a repeating cycle, we are never stock-free.

It's fricken annoying.

sb26

HSC
The four trolleys at our store turned into 5, and we had people stay back and someone come in for a 3hr shift just for stock. Thankfully we got it down to a half a trolley.

Doesn't help that we don't have enough free staff to deal with it regularly, but when we do, they are agonisingly slow, get held up on miscellaneous items, and sort into weird ways (like aisles 1-5 in a single trolley... yeah that's not really sorting).

sb26

HSC
Oh my god today was so stressful.

Handling the floor on my svr's break isn't too bad, it's quite exciting actually. But between 4-5pm it's literally hell.

Had a really strange Westfield gift card error - 04 Call Supervisor. Used the correct pin and everything. It was weird. Do these cards have like a threshold of incorrect PIN attempts or something? Was very tricky and the poor woman had to pay cash and it didn't help that my supervisor sort of told her off when she came back and was confused about the situation.. I felt like that whole encounter went sour really quickly.

And then prepaid MasterCards failed. Put $15.00 cash on a new card, but it freaked out when I hit commit deposit - "Contact Bank". Seriously confused that it couldn't even handle a cash deposit. We tried multiple cards too. All of this is happening with like so many people waiting in queues.

And at my store don't bother calling for checkout-trained staff or god forbid a Service 100 - no one comes for either after like 4pm. what the hell. Except for the ASM, my saviour. Hope she thinks I handled everything well given that the problems were mainly 'extreme' out of the ordinary ones. Phew.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Woolworths doesn't accept those sorts of gift cards, not my local shopping centre gift card anyway.
If the commit deposit doesn't work, can always try another register with a new gift card.

Last edited:

britto89

HSC
@oldmanjoe - I assume you have had your first shift by now and I hope it went well. I don't recommend a white shirt for nightfill as it will get dirty really quickly. I would suggest a dark coloured plain polo shirt.

Regarding the giftcards - Some of the newer gift cards are essentially just an EFTPOS card loaded up with a certain dollar value. I have had customers start to bring in their bingo winnings but also had one lady the other day using a $10 card sent from a supplier to her after she called up complaining about a product quality issue. If an EFTPOS card fails I always try on another register just to make sure, otherwise there is nothing we can do. I wish the EFTPOS error's were more specific like instead of Call Supervisor it could say "Suspected stolen card, take from customer" or something like that. Really there only needs to be five messages:1-Card locked, too many PIN tries, 2-Card locked, excessive withdraws today, 3- Expired, 4- Suspected stolen, take from customer and 5-Contact bank.

As for loose stock I always make sure to filter out all the McPhersons consumer products (clip strip stock) and leave that aside for the mcphersons rep next time she is in. I used to find that if I didn't then it would cycle around from frontend to out the back but never on the clip strip. It reduces the amount of stock greatly.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Re: the eftpos codes. Each code has it's own meaning, including stolen cards or cards that have been inhibited by the bank. It's just a matter of knowing what the codes mean. Check storenet.

britto89

HSC
Re: the eftpos codes. Each code has it's own meaning, including stolen cards or cards that have been inhibited by the bank. It's just a matter of knowing what the codes mean. Check storenet.
Cool, will do. Hopefully the search "eftpos codes" will work otherwise it will be a bitch to find

nanakid12

HSC
Oh my god today was so stressful.

Handling the floor on my svr's break isn't too bad, it's quite exciting actually. But between 4-5pm it's literally hell.

Had a really strange Westfield gift card error - 04 Call Supervisor. Used the correct pin and everything. It was weird. Do these cards have like a threshold of incorrect PIN attempts or something? Was very tricky and the poor woman had to pay cash and it didn't help that my supervisor sort of told her off when she came back and was confused about the situation.. I felt like that whole encounter went sour really quickly.

And then prepaid MasterCards failed. Put $15.00 cash on a new card, but it freaked out when I hit commit deposit - "Contact Bank". Seriously confused that it couldn't even handle a cash deposit. We tried multiple cards too. All of this is happening with like so many people waiting in queues.

And at my store don't bother calling for checkout-trained staff or god forbid a Service 100 - no one comes for either after like 4pm. what the hell. Except for the ASM, my saviour. Hope she thinks I handled everything well given that the problems were mainly 'extreme' out of the ordinary ones. Phew.
Some tips:

* pretty sure it's a $20 minimum deposit on those prepaid master cards. I had the same problem once, when it used to be $30 minimum on the old ones, I deposited $15 from eftpos and when the cashier committed the deposit, there was a contact bank error. They had to refund it back on my card.
* depending on who issues those eftpos gift cards, they might not work. Some work, some don't.
* when it is busy and no one to call... don't look up at the rapidly increasing queue haha :p

Last Friday I did the supervisors break from 4-5, Christ, three registers open, of course there'd be no one to call, we'd have someone come through to pay by cheque (which happens probably once a month at our store) and then someone who pays with a customer account. These people couldn't have decided to shop and hour earlier, oh no, it had to coincide exactly with the apocalyptic rush.

Of course, at the time these people need help, I'm stuck on a big register.
I'm not that pedantic about the "supervisor not serving on a main" rule, and this day we had queues of three-four trollies at each register, so it made it hard when this account came through.

And then, as soon as the main supervisor returns from her break, it is almost completely dead.

But on holidays for another week after this, so not worried about it in the absolute slightest!

Last edited:

sb26

HSC
We have Westfield gift cards go through all the time without a hitch. I just hoped the lady went back to the concierge desk and was able to get a refund or something. Otherwise she's stucl with $100 to spend on the most useless shops.

This is correct, they have to put at least $20 on the prepaid mastercard or it won't work.
Wow wish I knew this. But seriously for EFT payments onto mastercard, the POS should do some checks first so it cannot charge lower than $20 from EFTPOS.

Also, does anyone know what happens with refunds that go back onto credit? How does it work? Customer was concerned there may be bank fees or something, I wasn't sure.

sb26

HSC
Situation: Man buys 3.728 kg pumpkin. Put through as Jarrahdale ($1.98/kg) by operator, but it's actually Kent ($0.96/kg). The man shows me it's indeed Kent by bringing in a small sample showing the dark green/yellow skin.

When I asked one of my supers, she said to do Refunds > Scanning Policy, then type the weight, hit Weight, then select Jarrahdale from Veg A-Z. Well I just did this for this time and gave her the full amount back, but since it was the wrong PLU entered by the operator it wasn't actually a scanning policy.

Question is: how to add the actual value of the Kent to the transaction to give the customer the difference? The register has no scales, and the actual pumpkin has left the store and has been cut up. Do I use a calculator (0.96 * 3.728 = $3.58) and disc dump under produce? What's the way to go about this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)