Things to do during holidays between end of Year 11 and start of Year 12 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
-may-cat- said:
Look, i know it must be annoying with all the 08ers telling you to do nothing, but there is method in the madness- to a degree. I don't think you should do nothing at all, but nor do i think you should adapt a harsh study timetable for these holidays. There has to be balance. In my opinion 3-4 hours of study a day seems like a good idea, that gives you plenty of time to go out and muck around with friends in the afternoon and night. I just don't think doing 8+ hours a day is doing you any favours.
Finally some awesome advice to us 09ers.

Mothers

Banned
HSC
lyounamu said:
Finally some awesome advice to us 09ers.
Namu, the advice you regard as 'awesome' is the advice you want to hear.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Mothers said:
Namu, the advice you regard as 'awesome' is the advice you want to hear.
Isn't that obvious?

By the word choice that I adopted, you can obviously see that I wanted to hear that advice.

But I am also objective as well. But seriously, your advice was lolworthy.

Mothers

Banned
HSC
lyounamu said:
Isn't that obvious?

By the word choice that I adopted, you can obviously see that I wanted to hear that advice.

But I am also objective as well. But seriously, your advice was lolworthy.
Namu, be sure to revisit this thread once you finish your HSC, and take a look at my post. You'll have an epiphany. You'll suddenly understand my advice and the true logic of it.

beve

Jesus
HSC
Mothers said:
Namu, be sure to revisit this thread once you finish your HSC, and take a look at my post. You'll have an epiphany. You'll suddenly understand my advice and the true logic of it.
The machine representing something continually going; rather than something stop starting and becoming rusty and unworkable? And the WD-40 is kinda your all-purpose in-a-can lubricant; that would be cramming, yeah? But it's effective only momentarily, because the metal of the machine has still become rusted.

Never seen a longer argument over something so trivial.

Mothers

Banned
HSC
Without Wings said:
It all depends on the person and their needs/study techniques.

I personally maintained a balanced lifestyle throughout the prelim/HSC - this involved keeping up my sporting and interest commitments, spending time with friends & boyfriend as well as family along with studying. I did not have the sort of timetable that involved going to school followed by studying every day. During the holidays between preliminary and HSC I did not do any work - I didn't have any set by the school and felt no need to 'work ahead.' Looking back on it I wouldn't change my lifestyle and believe it was successful. That being said 'successful' can mean different things for different people. By successful I mean going well in my subjects, getting into my first preference easily and enjoying myself throughout the year.

But as I said previously everyone is different and has different priorities/commitments in life.
Seeeeeee 09ers!! Without wings: Thanks for backing me up.

Next time you stupid 09ers better listen to your elders.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Mothers said:

I don't see how she backed you up. She was commenting on how it is different for individuals and I should stick to whatever that suits me best.

I would rather personally listen to my fellow 09ers for advices than you who cannot even provide decents reasons as to why we should do this and that. Your supposed analogy really killed the message that you were supposedly projecting towards us.

Last edited:

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Mothers said:

Without Wings said:
But as I said previously everyone is different and has different priorities/commitments in life.
She's not backing you up at all. Her post clearly explains that every individual would have "different priorities/commitments, so maybe your advice does not apply to everyone.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
lol well i know that if i hav a basic idea of wat we're learning before it gets taught it helps me a lot, sooo yeah

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
Timothy.Siu said:
lol well i know that if i hav a basic idea of wat we're learning before it gets taught it helps me a lot, sooo yeah
+1 thats all i am doing

as well as the homework set by the school

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
Mothers said:

hey, it's our choice whether or not we want to study. We don't HAVE to listen to you guys. If we want to study, then just let us.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Mothers said:

Fortunately, maturity can often be irrespective of age, which evident from your egotistical behaviour.

Just let us 09ers do what we want.

HSC
lyounamu said:
Your analogy is poor. I don't understand how you can treat (even perceive) HSC as a machine.
hsc may not be perceived as a machine, but ur brain can

overwork the brain and u'll become mentally tired. remember u have a whole year, dont start busting ur brains out right from the start; make sure u have enuf fuel to make the journey

answering questions over and over again often makes u mentally tired of what ur doing and how repetitive it is. its still possible to annihilate ur hsc maintaining a balanced amount of hours which gives ur mind enuf time to recuperate from what its doing

also remember that ur final year should be remember as an exciting one, not one where u;ve locked urself in ur room doing past paper after past paper aiming for nothing more than an expression of egotism over what uai u've achieved. If ur aiming for a course that has a uai of 99.55 or 99.95 then so be it, but remember that the uai is only really good for getting urself into a uni course and then thats about it. Thinking of it as anything bigger is really only a self fulfillment of pride.

its good to see that u guys seem to be enthusiastic regarding ur commitment to the hsc, but remember that u have plenty of time to build up to ur 8+ hours of study each day or what ever ur aiming for. if u want a sporting analogy, look at it as not trying to peak to early. Imo, studying 8 hrs a day continuously is not only unhealthy but stupid. Save that kind of intesity for stuvac or ur last holidays, and enjoy these while u still can. Save ur best form for when it counts, october next year

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
that post makes sense although the HSC can be more than just to get you into your course, it can be used to see if you can achieve crazy goals you set yourself if u try hard enough. It can be to see if u can discipline yourself to do a certain amount of study each day, or to see how good your time management skills are. and with these skills it could possibly help in uni and later in life...i dunno just my thoughs
good analogys though, made more sense than other people

HSC
Timothy.Siu said:
that post makes sense although the HSC can be more than just to get you into your course, it can be used to see if you can achieve crazy goals you set yourself if u try hard enough. It can be to see if u can discipline yourself to do a certain amount of study each day, or to see how good your time management skills are. and with these skills it could possibly help in uni and later in life...i dunno just my thoughs
good analogys though, made more sense than other people
thats true as well, hsc teaches life skills which come in very handy afterwards

good that u pointed out discipline, seems to be a lacking a bit these days within general society

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
the pospinator said:
thats true as well, hsc teaches life skills which come in very handy afterwards

good that u pointed out discipline, seems to be a lacking a bit these days within general society
lol it might be why u dont see that many people with 90+ UAI going around bashing up people or something

kirby101

HSC
Not studying during these holidays does not jeopardise your HSC... you havent learnt the HSC course yet and sure, you can go briefly go over Yr 11 prelim work, especially for maths, but to the extent of doing it 8 hours a day is crazy...
all i was saying is just to relax these holidays, because this is probably the last time you will only ever get to..
if you work too hard now, you will burn yourself out quicker and sooner...
and stressing over the HSC a whole year before is stupid...
hope u guys have fun these holidays...

cant wait until the HSC is over! haha...

wall-flower

HSC
this thread is insane.
don't study. Read english texts. NO MORE.
you'll burn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)