Things to do during holidays between end of Year 11 and start of Year 12 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JessicaCaroline

HSC
lyounamu said:
No buddy. We get a huge holiday after term 4. Don't tell me you will be full-out by that stage.

I mean, come on guys, this is definitely NOT THE last holiday we get. I mean, I will continue to procrastinate anyway (but the frequency of that will be *massively reduced!*) during the upcoming holidays apart from this one.

I reckon it is better to use this holiday to start some consistent studying.
While i enjoy the *massively reduced* reference to crazy warehouse guy (isn't it?) and see the truth in how there will be procrastination whatever the holiday, we will actually have study to do in the christmas holidays after term 4... Half yearly exams (oh dear) will be fast approaching when school goes back. These holidays however, there is nothing set for us to do, year 11 is over, year 12 has not yet begun - so what does your consistent study consist of? You have me worried...

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
JessicaCaroline said:
While i enjoy the *massively reduced* reference to crazy warehouse guy (isn't it?) and see the truth in how there will be procrastination whatever the holiday, we will actually have study to do in the christmas holidays after term 4... Half yearly exams (oh dear) will be fast approaching when school goes back. These holidays however, there is nothing set for us to do, year 11 is over, year 12 has not yet begun - so what does your consistent study consist of? You have me worried...
To be honest, it's more realistic to procrastinate a bit and study few hours a day for a year than going full out 10 hours a day in 10 months. And in my opinion, studying consistently is the most effective approach because the second option has a danger of getting you burnt out.

What does consistent studying involve?

First, it invovles regular studying routine. It doesn't really need to be 3 hours a day. It can just be 30 minutes a day (but it really better be more than that).

Second, it involves a some kind of list that tells you what you need to do. You don't really need a "list" but you need to be aware of what to do.

Third, some relaxation is great. But leave that after your study.

But you need to understand that "quality > quantity" meaning that studying smarter is much better than studying A LOT.

Hope my crap tutorial helped.

jaychouf4n

HSC
electrolysis said:
is that movie good? i might watch it next this week, ive been stuck at home the past week doing nothing except watch tv/computer and a bit of studying i.e finshed reading Romulus, My Father and im about halfway through Frakenstein...
it's good if ur looking for an action film. It's not a film you get some powerful insight into the reality of society out of. ie its a typical hollywood film

Tho, i must admit, the testosterone in me was pumped just watching the explosions.

Dresden.

HSC
dior1 said:
Oohh thanks for the ebay link!

Too bad I needed to add funds into my Paypal account (which takes around a week) and so I missed the bid, but theres another copy on sale yay - though I think by the time I get it, school would have started

/sigh

And I can't believe Angus&Robertson sold out on Frankenstein either (also all onloan at library) lol, BoS'ers raiding all my sources :p

Lyly

HSC
Lol, I already have a copy of Frankenstein my cousin gave me in Year 8. :p
I've only started reading it now though... :uhoh:

But you can borrow it after I'm finished, Dresden :p

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Lyly said:
Lol, I already have a copy of Frankenstein my cousin gave me in Year 8. :p
I've only started reading it now though... :uhoh:

But you can borrow it after I'm finished, Dresden :p
our school gives it to us to borrow, i'm like 3/4 through frankenstein!

kirby101

HSC
DO NOTHING!!
Trust me, this will be the only real holiday you get before YR 12..
so dont spend 8 hours a day studying
at most, just get ur books/notes ready and thats it...
it should be a time to relax and to hang out with friends...
forget the studying..
im doing the HSC now, (in like a week and a bit) and i know from experience.
there is no real point in studying now, u have time for that in the 6 week holidays and in the other holidays next year!
so just have fun!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
kirby101 said:
DO NOTHING!!
Trust me, this will be the only real holiday you get before YR 12..
so dont spend 8 hours a day studying
at most, just get ur books/notes ready and thats it...
it should be a time to relax and to hang out with friends...
forget the studying..
im doing the HSC now, (in like a week and a bit) and i know from experience.
there is no real point in studying now, u have time for that in the 6 week holidays and in the other holidays next year!
so just have fun!
Tell me how successful having fun was.

beve

Jesus
HSC
lyounamu said:
Neither am I. ;)
Moreso than I. =)

But this holiday is the best (and only time you really "should") take a break. I had a week - now I'm back into it.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Ok, here is my question. Many people have told us 09ers to relax and do this and that, but how much of that is credible?

Yes, relaxing and playing around is great. It's a great thing to everyone's spirit, body and mind but how can anyone suddenly go back to studying full-out from term 4 if you don't develop the habit beforehand?

Yes, people who have completed/almost completed their HSC will obviously have experience in this but having experience does not mean that they are a great source of knowledge because their so-called experiences may even be epic failures. If past HSCers or 08ers could specify how successful their relaxation was, I would have a trust in that but no body mentioned how successful it was (or how much their relaxation strategy contributed to their HSC routine).

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
lyounamu said:
Ok, here is my question. Many people have told us 09ers to relax and do this and that, but how much of that is credible?

Yes, relaxing and playing around is great. It's a great thing to everyone's spirit, body and mind but how can anyone suddenly go back to studying full-out from term 4 if you don't develop the habit beforehand?

Yes, people who have completed/almost completed their HSC will obviously have experience in this but having experience does not mean that they are a great source of knowledge because their so-called experiences may even be epic failures. If past HSCers or 08ers could specify how successful their relaxation was, I would have a trust in that but no body mentioned how successful it was (or how much their relaxation strategy contributed to their HSC routine).
its just all an evil plan to make u fail

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Timothy.Siu said:
lol yeah u rarely see people doing 4u maths and 4u eng
I know someone who did both of those to get 100 UAI.

Mothers

Banned
HSC
lyounamu said:

Namu, the HSC is like a machine. You've got to work it before it rusts because then you've got to apply WD-40 to it. You don't want to have to use the WD-40.

beve

Jesus
HSC
lyounamu said:

To someone who is just finishing thier HSC; it's going to seem like the obvious thing to tell people - relax - because they're longing to do so themselves. Hopefully; the habit will have well and truely been developed beforehand and I'm sure you'd feel all the better for giving yourself that little bit of rest and hitting it as hard as you had been doing before and more.

Comes down to whether you're able to handle & maintain your compusure under continual and sustained pressure.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Timothy.Siu said:
its just all an evil plan to make u fail
May be not...lol

And no, I don't really take their advices on board unless they tell us how it helped them...

I just take some advices from credible sources of knowledge such as moderators like me121, Without Wings and other awesome posters like 3unitz or other fellow 09ers (i.e. you guys!!! lol)

What I reckon the best study method is - studying consistenly everyday even for an hour. If people want to have fun, that's absolutely fine, I mean that's great. How successful is that? From my experience, it has been best study method...I procrastinate a lot as well (in the form of BoS, myspace and others) but I always try to complete my work first and later. Even scientifc result shows that consistent studying (i.e. coming back to materials over and over again) proves far much successful than studying full out at once (i.e. cramming) where you will end up forgetting in few hours anyway. That's how our memory works.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Mothers said:
Namu, the HSC is like a machine. You've got to work it before it rusts because then you've got to apply WD-40 to it. You don't want to have to use the WD-40.
Your analogy is poor. I don't understand how you can treat (even perceive) HSC as a machine.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
i think it wud also be less stressful if u studied consistently
u wudn't hav to worry as much as exams got closer

Mothers

Banned
HSC
lyounamu said:
Your analogy is poor. I don't understand how you can treat (even perceive) HSC as a machine.
Namu, once you figure that analogy out, you'll figure the HSC out.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Look, i know it must be annoying with all the 08ers telling you to do nothing, but there is method in the madness- to a degree. I don't think you should do nothing at all, but nor do i think you should adapt a harsh study timetable for these holidays. There has to be balance. In my opinion 3-4 hours of study a day seems like a good idea, that gives you plenty of time to go out and muck around with friends in the afternoon and night. I just don't think doing 8+ hours a day is doing you any favours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)