Typical Aussies Ruin Australia (1 Viewer)

supercharged

HSC
N/A
Generator said:
Hobo dialect? Education plays a role, but at the same time I would gladly wager that my education is (and will be) far more extensive than your own yet I still revert to strine on occasions and will continue to do so (see malkin's post).
As if, and yes I agree, speak in the hobo dialect when in the company of hobos (otherwise they won't understand) :rolleyes: kath and kim = typical hobos

Last edited:
G

Gavvvvvin

Theres nothing more entertaining than Asians who live in our country and complain about our culture.

malkin86

HSC
supercharged said:
kath and kim = typical hobos
No, Kath and Kim = *satire* of stereotypical suburban middle-class Australians. You obviously don't get the humour.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
malkin86 said:
No, Kath and Kim = *satire* of stereotypical suburban middle-class Australians. You obviously don't get the humour.
While I wouldn't describe Kath n' Kim as dead-pan humour...

the wiki said:
An important aspect of Australian English usage, inherited in small part from Britain and Ireland, is the use of deadpan humour, in which a person will make extravagant, outrageous and/or ridiculous statements in a neutral tone, and without explicitly indicating they are joking. Tourists seen to be gullible and/or lacking a sense of humour may be subjected to tales of kangaroos hopping across the Sydney Harbour Bridge and similar tall tales. (See also Drop Bear.) It is frequently criticised by foreigners for being immature humour which lacks thought and wit, although it could be countered that said foreigners just didn't get the joke.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
malkin86 said:
I get it, I just don't find it funny - it isn't subtle, its more like common sense.

there are much better satires out there

cerebrum

HSC
I'm not trying to say Australians ruin the rep of Australia. Just that the image we give ourselves to other countries is just not very appealing. When I think of Australia, I think of this dirty outback with uncivilised people. Then we have some Australian celebrities like Leyton Hewitt potraying Australians to be unfriendly and pathetic.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
cerebrum said:
Then we have some Australian celebrities like Leyton Hewitt potraying Australians to be unfriendly and pathetic.
Pathetic wouldn't be the word I'd use to describe someone whom became the best in the world in their chosen field.

I'm not trying to say Australians ruin the rep of Australia. Just that the image we give ourselves to other countries is just not very appealing.
What image would that be? Are you trying to say that, "People from the Western suburbs and rural Australia are creating a bad name for Australians overseas... because they have an accent." Well bugger me...

When I think of Australia, I think of this dirty outback with uncivilised people.
That's your problem, not anyone elses champ.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
cerebrum said:
I'm not trying to say Australians ruin the rep of Australia. Just that the image we give ourselves to other countries is just not very appealing. When I think of Australia, I think of this dirty outback with uncivilised people. Then we have some Australian celebrities like Leyton Hewitt potraying Australians to be unfriendly and pathetic.
When was the last time you were away from the city and actually met some country folk?

Alot of the time they are alot nicer than others and often give strangers alot more courtesy then city dwellers do.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Umm cerebrum, most australians live in cities.

But you just said you think of Australia as a bunch of yokels in the outback. :p So I don't see how you can feel the way about most Australians.

cerebrum

HSC
I can understand how most people feel about Australians. Most object against my opinions. I'm fine with that. What do people think of Autralians when we look at some other countries perspective?

Last edited:

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
cerebrum said:
I can understand how most people feel about Australians. Most object against my opinions. I'm fine with that. What do people think of Autralians when we look at some other countries perspective?
The Americans think we're pretty darn cool actually.* The Brits don't seem to mind us* as the Europeans think we're a little crass and uncultured but kinda cute all the same*. Asians usually see us as a bunch of stupid idiots without any culture*.

**** note the generalisations here.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
ujuphleg said:
The Americans think we're pretty darn cool actually.* The Brits don't seem to mind us* as the Europeans think we're a little crass and uncultured but kinda cute all the same*. Asians usually see us as a bunch of stupid idiots without any culture*.

yup most americans love aussies

its a thing, they love the accent and "culture". oh and they all want to come "down under" for a vacation

dotto

HSC
cerebrum said:
We're not the ones giving them that image. Paul Hogan and Steve Irwin are. Anyone from overseas coming here realises the people in the outback have more of a purpose than to sit on the patio, that most of our population lives in Cities, or at least on the east coast, and that crocodile hunting/wrestling isn't a national sport.

cerebrum

HSC
ujuphleg said:

The Americans???? Are you sure?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)