UNSW O-Week (1 Viewer)

UNSW OWeek

HSC
N/A
Everyone's O-Week experience is different, so the major highlights will be different depending on what kind of things you're into. Some people love the night time events, like the comedy night or dance party. For other people, it's being introduced to another first year who they become friends with. For some people the campus tour and being shown around the campus is a major highlight.

The best way to find out is to come along and get involved. As long as you show up ready for fun you're bound to have a great time. We look forward to seeing you all during O-Week!

beentherdunthat

HSC
UNSW OWeek said:
Everyone's O-Week experience is different, so the major highlights will be different depending on what kind of things you're into. Some people love the night time events, like the comedy night or dance party. For other people, it's being introduced to another first year who they become friends with. For some people the campus tour and being shown around the campus is a major highlight.

The best way to find out is to come along and get involved. As long as you show up ready for fun you're bound to have a great time. We look forward to seeing you all during O-Week!
yeah llol okay how am i supposed to spot other first years!!!!

[this sounds a little like hogwarts .. lol]

UNSW OWeek

HSC
N/A
There's a few different ways. The best way is to go up to someone and talk to them! This might sound a little scary at first until you realise that the majority of people wandering around will be first years and most of them will be hoping to meet new people and make new friends, so by starting up a conversation everyone wins.

Another way is to ask a Yellowshirt. The O-Week volunteers spend all week helping out first years, and will be more than happy to help you find another first year to hang out with or chat to. We put on a wide range of activities to help you get to meet and know new friends. You'd be suprised how simple it is to make a new friend over something as simple as a game of giant connect 4 :) We'll also try to help anyone who's looking a little lost and confused, so if a Yellowshirt comes up to chat, say hi, because they're there to help you, whether that be with directions, finding new friends or something as simple as pointing out the nearest bathroom.

Another awesome way to meet other first years is to take a campus tour with the Yellowshirts. These run each day from 2pm, after the faculty welcome for the day and are a great way to meet new friends and get to know the campus. Tour groups range in size from 5 to 20 and you'll be given the chance to meet and talk to all the other people on your tour. We quite often see groups of new friends hanging out at night events or on other days of O-Week who met up on a campus tour :)

Hopefully this gives you an idea of what to expect from O-Week. Don't be afraid to talk to strangers, because you'll find that most people on campus are really nice, and if you ever get stuck, there are Yellowshirts there to help you out!

Beege

HSC
UNSW OWeek said:
There's a few different ways. The best way is to go up to someone and talk to them! This might sound a little scary at first until you realise that the majority of people wandering around will be first years and most of them will be hoping to meet new people and make new friends, so by starting up a conversation everyone wins.

Another way is to ask a Yellowshirt. The O-Week volunteers spend all week helping out first years, and will be more than happy to help you find another first year to hang out with or chat to. We put on a wide range of activities to help you get to meet and know new friends. You'd be suprised how simple it is to make a new friend over something as simple as a game of giant connect 4 :) We'll also try to help anyone who's looking a little lost and confused, so if a Yellowshirt comes up to chat, say hi, because they're there to help you, whether that be with directions, finding new friends or something as simple as pointing out the nearest bathroom.

Another awesome way to meet other first years is to take a campus tour with the Yellowshirts. These run each day from 2pm, after the faculty welcome for the day and are a great way to meet new friends and get to know the campus. Tour groups range in size from 5 to 20 and you'll be given the chance to meet and talk to all the other people on your tour. We quite often see groups of new friends hanging out at night events or on other days of O-Week who met up on a campus tour :)

Hopefully this gives you an idea of what to expect from O-Week. Don't be afraid to talk to strangers, because you'll find that most people on campus are really nice, and if you ever get stuck, there are Yellowshirts there to help you out!
ok this makes me feel a bit better, thanks. To get to UNSW from central during o-week, do I catch a UNSW express bus or a normal bus? I don't have my student ID yet.

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
Beege said:
ok this makes me feel a bit better, thanks. To get to UNSW from central during o-week, do I catch a UNSW express bus or a normal bus? I don't have my student ID yet.
If you get a travel pass or travel ten you can catch the expresses otherwise the normal ones.

Last edited:

UNSW OWeek

HSC
N/A
Giant Jenga is exactly what it sounds like: Jenga, only giant! The towers get as tall as 2 metres, so hard hats are essential!

The UFO lazer encounter is a laser tag game inside a big inflatable maze, with up to 8 players at a time. It should be pretty fun!

O-Week starts tomorrow, see you all there!

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
Is there a list somewhere of all the clubs/societies that have stalls at oweek?

Sugar

HSC
Just a question, will I be able to get a free diary and wall planner during O-week? Or do you have to be an Arc member? I've heard that you have to sign up for an Arc membership in order to receive the diary and wall planner.

lgaica

HSC
im sorry everyone but the usyd o week pwned unsw:hammer:

although the night time evens should be very enjoyable

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
Yeah you just compared 3 days of usyd oweek to 6-7 hours of UNSW's first day.

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
Sugar said:
Just a question, will I be able to get a free diary and wall planner during O-week? Or do you have to be an Arc member? I've heard that you have to sign up for an Arc membership in order to receive the diary and wall planner.
I think you can get the diary but without the coupons and stuff if you're not an arc member

Beege

HSC
I went today, had a great time and met a few new people. I have to go again early tomorrow morning to get my ID card cauz the line was too frigging long.

Dave2007

HSC
How did everyone find the first day? Here is my review...

The introductory lectures and faculty welcome for arts were nothing you couldn't have read online...but I suppose its nice to see it all. The queues for arc membership and student cards were absolutely ridiculous! The arc membership came with free drinks at the roundhouse! I began hopefully a long and happy roundhouse drinking career. Also, the 2gb memory stick thing, mine does not seem to work?

Clubs looked good. I went pretty overboard... Debating soc, Chocolate soc, Politics soc, Tennis, Liberals (lol at the communist/revolutionary soc, they were retarded), Music soc (hoping to go in a jazz band)...still gotta check out the Law Society/Law Revue.

The yellowshirts were very helpful. Also, joined the gym - looks pretty sweet, and I think its actually cheaper than fitness first. None of my friends wanted to go to the movie thing tonight, so can't really comment on the nightlife aspect.

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
speed dating was epically disorganised. 5 minutes into it the thing was just a giant mass of people standing around randomly talking to each other in groups.

rest of the events were pretty good. would have been nice if there were a few more stalls with free food/drinks. paintball tickets cost me everything i had on me and the Arc could not provide for my empty stomach and drying mouth.

Last edited:

Chris.

HSC
DeathB4Life said:
speed dating was epically disorganised. 5 minutes into it the thing was just a giant mass of people standing around randomly talking to each other in groups.

rest of the events were pretty good. would have been nice if there were a few more stalls with free food/drinks. paintball tickets cost me everything i had on me and the Arc could not provide for my empty stomach and drying mouth.
lol one of my friends was the organiser. why do people sign up for arc besides getting access to societies?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)