• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Virginia Tech Shootings (Merged) (2 Viewers)

circusmind

HSC
stazi said:
Yes, the US does have 5.5 homicides a year per 100,000 people. A university town, however, doesn't see many murders. This isn't the slums of LA we're talking about where gangs fight it out.

Fair call, but I'm still a bit reticent to blame the uni authorities for failing to evacuate an institution the size of a town.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I also don't think they needed to somehow evacuated a massive university town - and I didn't argue that they should have. I simply criticised the fact that serius said that this kind of thing happens in the US "All the time".

Hindsight is a powerful tool and we can keep guessing what they should or shouldn't have done. The point is that they acted in a way which could have been expected by most people. If someone gets shot at Redfern, should we cancel all Sydney University classes?

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
stazi said:
I also don't think they needed to somehow evacuated a massive university town - and I didn't argue that they should have. I simply criticised the fact that serius said that this kind of thing happens in the US "All the time".

Hindsight is a powerful tool and we can keep guessing what they should or shouldn't have done. The point is that they acted in a way which could have been expected by most people. If someone gets shot at Redfern, should we cancel all Sydney University classes?
isnt it obvious that i was talking about the initial 2 person homocide? The police thought it was domestic, they thought he was her boyfriend and the other dude walked into a fight so he shot them both and ran off. Sounds like a pretty typical domestic shooting to me, and that happens all the time. If someone got stabbed at my uni they wouldnt cancel classes, they wouldnt evacuate and i would be surprised if an email about it was even sent that day, let alone within a 2hour period.

The police and the uni cant be blamed for acting like they did initially, that my friends is called 20/20 hindsight which all of us seem to forget.

HSC
N/A
Yeah, because there's a obvious difference between automatic guns and a knife. You try killing dozens of fit, young, capable people in an hour of two armed with a knife and let's see how far you get.

circusmind

HSC
vulgarfraction said:
Yeah, because there's a obvious difference between automatic guns and a knife. You try killing dozens of fit, young, capable people in an hour of two armed with a knife and let's see how far you get.

Uhhh...dude...ninjas???

*Minka*

HSC
Well, by the time the police and other relevent authorities had come to the scene, taken evidence, established what had happened, spoken to witnesses and reported back to the University officals, it would have been a couple of hours at least for that process. I am very sure the University officals would have wanted to see what the Police had to say about it first before making decisions either way.

As for the decision, I see both sides of it. I see that students would have wanted to be informed of the shooting but also the University's reluctance to alarm students when at the point it was no clear that there was going to be a huge massacre. They were not sure what was going to happen and would have not wanted needless mass panic on campus when they were unsure as to what is happen. Not saying the decision was right, just that I see it from both ways. It would have been a very hard decision that would have needed to been made in a very short amount of time. Lets us not forget that hindsight is 20/20.

The situation is a very sad tragedy. My thoughts are with all the victims families and friends and as someone who has lost family through needless hateshooting incidents, I understand their pain and it is a very hard place to be. I am thinking of them.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I can really understand what it would be like to going to that college. US colleges are quite close communities. I mean, VT is in a university town, similar to how the town of Chapel Hill is. Although there may be thousands of students, you still know someone through someone who is somehow related to the tragedy. Hell, you can look up the facebooks of the victims. It's just horrid to learn how these things can happen.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
vulgarfraction said:
two things.

I couldnt make a direct gun comparison because shootings are very rare in Australia. If someone on campus got shot there would be action like the uni going into lockdown, but not because of the murder but rather because a gun was used.

Secondly, the gunman used a pistol and a handgun not an automatic weapon.

I dont think you realised the direction my last few posts have been going in. I am saying that the massacre could not have been forseen by the police or the uni. Neither organisations did anything wrong, and whilst a school shooting may be forseen in australia after a similiar domestic incident[by this iam refering to the 7am double shooting not the events that unfolded afterwards] due to the rareness of guns, this would not be the case in Virginia due to guns being comonplace[much like knives are comonplace weapons on australia] Thats why i drew a knife comparison with a shooting comparison.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can really understand what it would be like to going to that college. US colleges are quite close communities. I mean, VT is in a university town, similar to how the town of Chapel Hill is. Although there may be thousands of students, you still know someone through someone who is somehow related to the tragedy. Hell, you can look up the facebooks of the victims. It's just horrid to learn how these things can happen.
Yeah i think i can understand it too. Wollongong is kind of like a uni city, just about every young person you would meet in town goes to UoW, all my friends do, all my school mates...basically everyone my age i know. Its crazy the amount of people it affects... the atmosphere must be incredibly depressing.

Comprehend now?

Last edited:

Jiga

Gun control is an issue imo. Yes Im sure there are other means by which crazy people could kill, for example an explosive, it would involve alot more work then just going to an gun store... not to mention concealment of large enough packages to do major damage would also be an issue, certainly not as easy as a small handgun. Same applies to a knife, no way are 30 people going to be killed by one guy with a knife or even a sword, they can just run away or shield themselves - luxuries which you dont have against a firearm.

And just look at Australia, Im sure there are people who are loners like that guy, if not worse. But with the inability to act on their emotion everyone is kept safe! (And yes you can have a handgun in Aus... but our gun laws are very strict, you have to have a purpose for having the weapon and go to things like shooting ranges etc on a frequent basis to demonstrate it... in the U.S no such framework is in place, you just get a gun for your own personal enjoyment)

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Miles Edgeworth said:
Diesel fuel.

Ammonium Nitrate.

Shredded Newspaper.

Bolts, Nails, etc.

Mix well and serve with a fuse for a delightful event everyone's sure not to forget.
I think the drive for a lot of psychos is to kill people directly and see them die. Not something that happens with a bomb.

circusmind

HSC
dagwoman said:
I think the drive for a lot of psychos is to kill people directly and see them die. Not something that happens with a bomb.
Harris and Klebold used bombs.

Dave2007

HSC
Do you remember that "God Hates Fags" site?

They're planning to picket the funerals of all the victims of the massacre, claiming that God wanted them to die because they allowed fags to go to the university.

Craziness...

Last edited by a moderator:

wafflesnsorbet

HSC
The media coverage on this issue has just been so insightful, fair, and hardly biased at all. After reading the 12094846089 articles from reliable sources such as mainstream American and Australian newspapers, the headlines haven't been sensationalist or racist. There has been no indication that any individual (esp from the mainstream media sources) is blaming an entire race for this one, tragic incident.

Most of all, no one is exploiting the situation.

ilu world.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
wafflesnsorbet said:
The media coverage on this issue has just been so insightful, fair, and hardly biased at all. After reading the 12094846089 articles from reliable sources such as mainstream American and Australian newspapers, the headlines haven't been sensationalist or racist. There has been no indication that any individual (esp from the mainstream media sources) is blaming an entire race for this one, tragic incident.

ilu world.
nbc hasn't exploited the situation? they get exclusive rights to screen the footage, and are likely charging other rival networks for it. the people involved in the tragedy want peace and quiet, not to see the killer's face on TV every hour on newsbreaks.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
wafflesnsorbet said:

ilu world.
You obviously didn't hear about that Ismail Ax fiasco...

Anyway, I agree with everything Stazi said.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)