What are you currently Reading? (4 Viewers)

klaris

HSC
catcher in the rye is awesome, read it for english this year =D
if you liked tcitr, check our the perks of being a wallflower. its a take on tcitr, cept produced in the 90s-ooo and about just as controversial as it as well (got a couple of things in there that were classified as naughty lol)

I've read both The Catcher in the Rye and The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

I think they are both overrated. I'm not saying this to annoy anyone or start an e-fight, I just think they are. Tangent, if you are willing to point out the brilliance of these two books -- please do so.

IMO, Rye is much more raw than Wallflower. Much more 'swearing' and Holden Caulfield uses 'goddamn' in every single sentence. It is also a bit boring, imo, as well and I don't think Holden is very brave or heroic character. More of the anti-hero. I mean the guy is too much of a pussy to tell his parents he got kicked out school. He is also pretty cynical and a bit naive -- for example hiring a hooker and not knowing what to do with her. His 'voice' is much more worldy than that.

Wallflower is very The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. Charlie's voice is very child-like and he is extremely shy. Although I do enjoy where he wonders in the first few chapters, something along the lines of:

'I wonder who is nursing a broken heart. Who has to walk through these halls with a broken heart and deal with 3 assignments, 2 essays and band practice on top of that. Or who done the heart-breaking.'

That quote was from memory so it is pretty off but you get my drift. Wallflower also has a lot of allusions in it (especially to music, as it was endorsed by MTV) and it also has a lotta classics referenced throughout.

I think both are hyped and I can see why Rye was banned (it was published in the 50s, I think) but I can't see why Wallflower was. It was published in the 90s and the world was much less conservative and much more jayded by then. We had Henry Miller, for crying out loud.

That's just my opinion, anyway. I'd say give them both a go and see what you think. I know I was extremely curious before reading Rye and then Wallflower.

posey-rose

The lost member
HSC
Holden Caulfield uses 'goddamn' in every single sentence. It is also a bit boring, imo, as well and I don't think Holden is very brave or heroic character. More of the anti-hero. I mean the guy is too much of a pussy to tell his parents he got kicked out school. He is also pretty cynical and a bit naive -- for example hiring a hooker and not knowing what to do with her. His 'voice' is much more worldy than that.

see that's why enjoyed the catcher, because holden is the anti hero (the hero can get really boring). i think it was because i havent read anything like it (or the bell jar) that's why i enjoyed it as much as i did, because it was different.

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
I'm reading Sherlock Holmes... still. I'm up to the last short-story collection. Ahh, the memories.

klaris

HSC
Just bought like 3 Sherlock Holmes book at this second hand bookshop in Sydney's west. So good, although I'm only into the second short story.

Of course theyare good, who am I kidding.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
I'm re reading metamorphisis - franz kafka. I have so many new books yet i'm clinging to ones i've already read. I never do this, its odd.

klaris

HSC
LOL. I've only read like the first page of that book but I was so intrigued. I want to read that book soooo badly.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
Cramming in last minute Romulus, My father for the english exam... TODAY :uhoh:

eriito

Elite Member
HSC
Reading over my essay and creative writing piece for my english exam.. which is also TODAY. 8 hours to go!

sydchick

HSC
N/A
I'm reading Nineteen Eighty Four by Orwell.

Best fucking book ever.

posey-rose

The lost member
HSC
i have a pile of books that are waiting to be read!!

just read neverwhere by neil gaiman (who is a genius!)

currently reading interview with the vampire by anne rice... fantastic

Rozay

HSC
Chanel - the birography of Gabrielle 'Coco' Chanel
AHH...so good even though its being a devil and taking me away from studying

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
Only a few more days and I can finally start reading for fun again!
My list:
1. The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
2. A Short History of the World - H.G. Wells
3. Hitchhiker's series - Douglas Adams (again because I love it so!)
4. And Another Thing - Eoin Colfer
5. Around the World in Eighty Days - Jules Verne
6. Breakfast at Tiffany's - Truman Capote
7. Dracula - Bram Stoker
... yaddah yaddah yaddah.
I usually read more than one book at a time so Dorian Gray, H.G. Wells and Hitchhiker's will be the first three to read.
Sigh. I've missed reading for fun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)