What is UNSW like in terms of social life, for Aussie Caucasians? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HSC
What is an Aussie caucasian? There are so many things wrong with that I don't know where to begin.

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
Honestly honey, if you're really going to be judging a university on the % pool of races, then I have nothing to say to you. How does it matter? It's your social life, you make it yours and you choose who you want to be your friends.

And FFS, we live in a multicultural society - if there aren't going to be asians at your chosen Arts faculty at an university, then there will be at your local shopping mall, or china town or OMG at your future work place !

However I've been told by people that went to UNSW that they are "cliquey" there (or in a uni environment)
And USYD is .......................................................................................................... ?

And I didn't suggest that international students are dirty at all. But it is a fact that some asian regions use squat toilets, so yes, a lot of asians do stand on toilets. The TAFE toilets always had pee all over them; and if it's okay with everyone else here; I'd like to go to a uni with clean toilets.
Go interview the cleaners at all the universities to see if they're doing their job properly then.

deadfishlol

HSC
N/A
Sorry UNSW really is full of Asian international students who are out to devastate your social life and shit all over the toilet cubicles. Oh, and they all do arts. Stay away.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Sooo.. "I'm not racist" BUT I have been 'warned' by people that if I go to UNSW, I'll hate it because most students are asians who tend to stick together, so the social aspect will be shit for me..

I'm looking at Arts. What percentage of students would you say are aussie caucasians? Do you think they "enjoy" it at UNSW, in comparison to Usyd?

and this is a pretty bad question to have to ask.. but I know that Ultimo TAFE have some pretty disgusting (female) toilets on the levels where a lot of international students are..

Are the toilets at UNSW (particularly near the Arts faculty, and canteen/cafe areas) clean?

Basically I'd prefer to go to Usyd, which is about an hour away for me; but UNSW is 10 mins away. The convenience is the only tempting factor for me.
Long story short, you want to do arts so no one gives a shit about you in the first place.

But like yeah, speaking of toilets at UNSW.

Half of them actually offer arts degrees. You'll find them in the toilet roll holder on the wall of your cubicle. If they run out, contact the cleaners and they'll provide you with a few at no additional cost.

If I remember correctly, try the Quad Foodcourt toilets downstairs and the Quad level 1 toilets near the big computer lab at the end below the Q-Lounge for your nearest outlet.

And I didn't suggest that international students are dirty at all. But it is a fact that some asian regions use squat toilets, so yes, a lot of asians do stand on toilets. The TAFE toilets always had pee all over them; and if it's okay with everyone else here; I'd like to go to a uni with clean toilets.
Just use the disabled toilets and learn to ignore the Asian masses around you. Problem solved. (Besides, you're an arts student so they're never going to have any reason to talk to you anyway).

Yep, I am worried about the toilets. At TAFE I'd have to try about 5 stalls before finding a clean one. It's gross. If I'm paying $6k or whatever it is a year, I want clean toilets.
At UNI, I learnt that there are more important things than the cleanliness of my nearest toilet.

Like my education...

I don't know - maybe an arty asian? Who's segregating now?
You, apparently. Not that I really care about your issue with Asians (I dont). I'm just amused with your overriding desire for clean toilets.

midnightmint

HSC
N/A
And FFS, we live in a multicultural society - if there aren't going to be asians at your chosen Arts faculty at an university, then there will be at your local shopping mall, or china town or OMG at your future work place !
Actually I'm 28 years old - I've been in the workforce half my life, and lived at Kingsford for about 25 years - so I think I have lived enough (and known asians) to know what I'm talking about.

Oh, and go ahead and flame me for being a mature age student, coming from TAFE - don't disappoint me now.

I'm not actually interested in doing Arts - I have to do a year of 'anything' before I can apply for vet science. I'll get better results in Arts, so I'm doing it for that reason. Hence I also don't really care about which uni is academically better at teaching Arts.. Personally I think that Arts degrees ARE a joke, and I'll never 'use' my year of Arts.. but it suits my needs and strategy.

Last edited:

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
Actually I'm 28 years old - I've been in the workforce half my life, and lived at Kingsford for about 25 years - so I think I have lived enough (and known asians) to know what I'm talking about.

Oh, and go ahead and flame me for being a mature age student, coming from TAFE - don't disappoint me now.

I'm not actually interested in doing Arts - I have to do a year of 'anything' before I can apply for vet science. I'll get better results in Arts, so I'm doing it for that reason.
I have no idea in what hole you managed to crawl into and dig out the assumed "fact" that I am "inflaming you about being a mature age student, considering the fact I don't know anything about you.

Further, if you're so proud of being a mature age student / coming from TAFE - then you should know better than to question the proportion of asian-aussie to non-asian aussies in an Arts department.

midnightmint

HSC
N/A
Further, if you're so proud of being a mature age student / coming from TAFE - then you should know better than to question the proportion of asian-aussie to non-asian aussies in an Arts department.
Now my turn - this comment is so nonsensical, I don't know where to begin.

Ok, I'm convinced that I should go to Usyd now. Thanks everyone :angel:

P.S.: There's nothing racist about not wanting to be the only caucasian in a room full of 100 asians (the same way any foreigner might feel 'out of place' in a huge room full of caucasians). I went to the B. Science Open Day lecture and that's basically what it was like. Say whatever you want, that's the reality of it.

Last edited:

deadfishlol

HSC
N/A
P.S.: There's nothing racist about not wanting to be the only caucasian in a room full of 100 asians (the same way any foreigner might feel 'out of place' in a huge room full of caucasians). I went to the B. Science Open Day lecture and that's basically what it was like. Say whatever you want, that's the reality of it.
Good lord.

No course/degree in UNSW has a 99:1 foreigner:caucasian ratio. (Maybe except commerce lololololol)
Not all Asians 'stick to themselves'
B. Sc =/= B. Arts.
B. Sc actually has a sizeable caucasian group. Some areas of science even have a caucasian majority.
The majority of B. Arts students are caucasian.

Hope this helps and good luck with USyd and uni life!!!!!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
OP, I agree. Choosing Uni with some considerion on the social aspect of it is totally fair =)

That's pretty much the reason why I am going to UNSW over Macq.

But dude, not all Asians "stick together" themselves. You can probably say the same thing for like every other race - of course similar hang out with similar people!

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Now my turn - this comment is so nonsensical, I don't know where to begin.

Ok, I'm convinced that I should go to Usyd now. Thanks everyone :angel:
You're welcome.

Because it's so important another mature age arts student comes to our university.

Akaru-Hime

Rawr~
HSC
Long story short, you want to do arts so no one gives a shit about you in the first place.

But like yeah, speaking of toilets at UNSW.

Half of them actually offer arts degrees. You'll find them in the toilet roll holder on the wall of your cubicle. If they run out, contact the cleaners and they'll provide you with a few at no additional cost.

If I remember correctly, try the Quad Foodcourt toilets downstairs and the Quad level 1 toilets near the big computer lab at the end below the Q-Lounge for your nearest outlet.

Just use the disabled toilets and learn to ignore the Asian masses around you. Problem solved. (Besides, you're an arts student so they're never going to have any reason to talk to you anyway).

At UNI, I learnt that there are more important things than the cleanliness of my nearest toilet.

Like my education...

You, apparently. Not that I really care about your issue with Asians (I dont). I'm just amused with your overriding desire for clean toilets.

Dear Tallkid34. You are absolutely brilliant. xD I couldn't stop laughing for at least 10 minutes.... and whenever I re-read it, I can't help cracking up again. >.<

But otherwise, midnightmint, USYD is renown for its art degrees, but I'm not sure how hot its science courses are to UNSW. Conventionally, UNSW is better for science, so if you do value your education per say (as opposed to toilets), then go to UNSW because that's what you want for the long term.

But if you're into arts...then go USYD. =3 Most caucasions like USYD because of its old tradition and stuff....if that means anything to you.

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
Where the heck do you live???
How can USYD take 50 minutes longer to get to than UNSW?

Serious question btw.

I know a few people at UNSW who aren't asian and who love it there. Seriously this is a non-issue.
It's impossible. It doesn't matter where she lives since it takes less than 50 minutes to get from UNSW to USYD.

jb_nc

Google &quot;9-11&quot; and &quot;truth&quot;
HSC
N/A
Dear Tallkid34. You are absolutely brilliant. xD I couldn't stop laughing for at least 10 minutes.... and whenever I re-read it, I can't help cracking up again. >.<

But otherwise, midnightmint, USYD is renown for its art degrees, but I'm not sure how hot its science courses are to UNSW. Conventionally, UNSW is better for science, so if you do value your education per say (as opposed to toilets), then go to UNSW because that's what you want for the long term.

But if you're into arts...then go USYD. =3 Most caucasions like USYD because of its old tradition and stuff....if that means anything to you.
nonsense asian poster

Tim035

HSC
Seeing you'll be on lower campus + have ~10 contact hours per week I think you'll survive. However, it is true what people say; especially on the buses in the morning it's not uncommon that I'm the only Aussie on board. Most of them are quiet and shy and a foot shorter, so I like to pretend they just don't exist.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC

hsc 2009

redmayne

HSC
The old "I'm not racist but..."

Wow it really gets old.

You probably shouldn't go to university dude, stick with TAFE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)