What should i eat/do to reduce the wrinkles/dry skin (1 Viewer)

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
boris said:
Um, dude. I never said anything about 8 glasses of water. I said 2Litres.
8 x 8 ounces equals approx. 1.9L, so the article is pretty damn close to the volume you said.

boris said:
Luckily I have the day off today, I can't wait to post 10 more reliable sources than that.
Care to post 1, that states exactly what your saying?

boris said:
I like how you neglected to post the rest of the abstact, especially a few key points highlighted by myself.
Cut it down simply because it was tl;dr

boris said:
- It is nearly impossible, and I'd be interested to see the study group conditions if they were to replicate 'ideal conditions' where the person did not exert themself or require fluid maintenance of atleast 1.5L
But their recommendations didn't even come close to 1.5L. The exertion under the tested 'ideal condition' would have to massively increased to reach this level. An athlete needs that much mabye. For a regular individual, it is far outside their recommended range.

boris said:
-- Last time I checked Australia was a hot, dry continent and it's irresponsible and moronic to believe that as soon as it's winter we don't have to drink as much water anymore. Physiologically that doesn't make sense. Fuck, it's not even common sense.
Agreed, there are circumstances under which 2L of water are required in Australia, and in Aus in general water requirements would be higher than many other places in the world. But they emphasise that this is under 'special circumstaces', of vigorous work and exercise, hardly your normal everyday water requirement.

boris said:
That sentence pretty much shows me how reliable this source is. You're trying to show me literature that disproves the 8x8 rule, when infact you've just shown me literature that can't disprove the 8x8 rule.
It's a literature review. They were not able to locate a single academic paper suggesting anything close to 2L per day as a requirement for an individual under a normal physical load. They are being academically honest in saying they cannot rule out the possibility of contrary research.

The onus of proof is on your katie, but I'm betting you can not find a single rigorous academic source saying an individual with a normal daily work load, or anything close to it, requires 2L of water daily, above and beyond the water gained through comsumption of food, and that humans should consume any excess water beyond the amount required to sate thirst.

Last edited:

boris

Banned
HSC
The actual amount of liquid water (from drinks) that an individual needs depends on their age, gender, physical activity, physiological condition or illness and the temperature and humidity of their physical environment. A healthy individual may have slightly lower or somewhat higher water intakes without harm by varying their urine output. The recommended amounts are somewhat higher (1.0-1.5 mL/kcal) than the average intakes, being about 3.0 L for men and 2.2 L for women (rising to 2.3 L if pregnant or 3.1 L if lactating) [962]l. These higher levels of water intake seem to reduce the occurrences of kidney stones, gall stones and some cancers and may be otherwise beneficial
It is also a commonly known fact that if you wait until you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated. Therefore it is recommended that you drink smaller, yet frequent amounts of water or other fluids (these include coffee and sports drinks as the diuretic effect of coffee has been proven to be negligible, but side effects from excess caffeine consumption usually outweigh the benefits of drinking coffee as a source of hydration).
In a recent study, evidence indicated that consuming a moderate level of caffeine results in a mild increase of urine production. Although this diuresis may or may not be significantly greater than a control fluid with no caffeine, there is no evidence to suggest that moderate caffeine intake
(_456 mg) induces chronic dehydration or negatively affects exercise performance, temperature regulation, or circulatory strain in a hot environment (3).
So kids, I really should have qualified that drinking 1.5 litres of water can also be inclusive of coffee, coke or other caffeinated beverages that are often considered to have a diuretic effect. Read though that I am not suggesting you live off a diet consisting solely of these products.

In 2005, the Dietary Reference Intake guideline for water was published. The Adequate Intake (AI) for total water intake in young men and women (ages 19 to 30 years) is 3.7 L and 2.7 L per day, respectively. Fluids (drinking water and beverages) provided 3.0 L (101 fluid oz; _13 cups) and 2.2 L (74 fluid oz; _9 cups) per day for 19- to 30-year-old men and women, respectively.
This source comes from the American Dietetic Association, Volume 9 Issue 11. I can’t post a direct link because I’ve sourced it through CSU’s database and only CSU students have access, but now that you have the volume and the issue you could probably find it hosted somewhere else.

Other reasons for adequate hydration include;
- adequate hydration is important and may improve the results of antimicrobial therapy in UTI (European Journal of Clinical Nutrition (2003) 57, Suppl 2, S52–S58)

Not being adequately hydrated also has adverse psychosomatic affects. Let me again reiterate that waiting until you are thirsty means that the process of dehydration has already began. It is irresponsible to promote the idea that it’s fine to only drink when thirsty.

Mental and psychomotor processing deterioration and the dynamics of its onset during dehydration are of great practical importance but are still not completely understood. Deteriorated mental and psychomotor processing could endanger performance of tasks that require high precision, are performed under forced regime and rhythm, permit no mistakes, or involve sophisticated, expensive, or dangerous equipment. (Croat Med J. 2006 December; 47(6): 855–861. )
I also stumbled upon this little study, read the entire slab right to the end.
It is generally stated that drinking plenty of water has a positive influence on skin condition. However, there is no published scientific study that has investigated this matter. The aim of our exploratory `before-after' study was to evaluate the in vivo influence of drinking more than 2 L of mineral water or ordinary tap water per day on skin physiology. Ninety-three healthy subjects were included in our prospective study. After an initial run-in phase of 2 weeks to monitor individual drinking habits, subjects had to drink 2.25 L day−1 of either mineral water (n = 53) or tap water (n = 40) for 4 weeks. Bioengineering in vivo measurements on the volar forearm included sonographic evaluation of skin thickness and density, determination of skin surface pH, assessment of skin surface morphology, and measurement of finger circumference. Eighty-six subjects completed the study. In the mineral water group measurements revealed a statistically significant decrease in skin density. Skin thickness increased slightly, albeit not at a statistically significant level. However, when separately analysing those individuals from the mineral water group, who had routinely drunken comparably little before the start of the study, their skin thickness increased at a statistically significant level. Skin surface pH remained almost unchanged in the physiologically optimal range. In the tap water group, skin density increased significantly, while skin thickness decreased significantly. Skin surface pH decreased at a statistically significant level. While in the mineral water group finger circumference decreased significantly, measurements in the tap water group revealed a statistically significant increase. Objective skin surface morphology did not change in any group. In summary, drinking more than 2 L of water per day can have a significant impact on skin physiology. The exact effects within the skin seem to differ depending on the nature of the water ingested. Randomized, controlled, double-blind follow-up trials are warranted to confirm the findings of our exploratory pilot study.( International Journal of Cosmetic Science, 29(2):131-138 )

- Being dehydrated can change the appearance of your skin. In mild dehydration your skin may appear flushed, dry and loose with a loss of elasticity and may look older than it is.

So I would say that in conclusion, it is completely realistic to believe that drinking 1.5 litres of water (or the amounts recommended) does have an affect on your skin and your overall health, and that these Mickey Mouse studies re: 8x8 haven’t come up with anything that I think overrules these studies.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I guess you are right about large amounts of water having an effect on skin condition, touche.

boris

Banned
HSC
Graney said:
I guess you are right about large amounts of water having an effect on skin condition, touche.
It's okay, you had me freightened actually. I found large volumes of journal articles 'refuting' the 8x8 rule, and whilst I don't think there is anything concrete re: 8x8, I think the evidence supporting drinking ATLEAST 1 litre of fluids a day is pretty solid.
These articles were problematic though because they didn't exactly say why they were refuting it, and there aren't a lot of studies on the effect of hydration on skin integrity.

boris

Banned
HSC
fernando said:
i had 6 cups of tea the other day and i did not pee that much. WHY IS THIS?
Because as we've just stated, the diuretic affect of tea/coffee and other caffeinated drinks has been overstated. There could be plenty of reasons why you didn't pee much. You could have been dehydrated and thus most of it was reabsorbed, which would have left you with a concentrated yet small volume of urine.

Donski

HSC
N/A
no no..soap for body wise; I noticed during winter, I got this red-ish acne-ish kinda looking on my chest...back and bum. WHY?

boris

Banned
HSC
Donski said:
no no..soap for body wise; I noticed during winter, I got this red-ish acne-ish kinda looking on my chest...back and bum. WHY?
you're either;
- allergic to the soap
- have dry skin

either way my answer still applies. find a medicated soap OR try filling a stocking or pantyhose with rolled oats when you have a bath/shower. it's what they recommend for people with allergies to normal soap.

Zrap

glock9
HSC
Rub cum on your face. I'll volunteer to provide that.

Donski

HSC
N/A
boris said:
you're either;
- allergic to the soap
- have dry skin

either way my answer still applies. find a medicated soap OR try filling a stocking or pantyhose with rolled oats when you have a bath/shower. it's what they recommend for people with allergies to normal soap.
yeah i've used sapoderm and gamophen...didnt work. :(

boris

Banned
HSC
srsly then. try filling an old pair of pantyhose up with rolled oats. i dont know how great it goes in the shower, but take a bath one day with the rolled oats sitting in the water with you.
it's like magic, especially if it is the soap that is drying out your skin.

boris

Banned
HSC
Dry Skin

For many of us, putting the heat on in the winter drops the humidity in our homes and dries our skin. People with dry, sensitive skin often have trouble with commercial products that contain scents or added coloring. I learned about this trick when caring for people at home with very dry skin from radiation therapy. Here's do-it-yourself skin care.

What you need

* An old, clean pair of pantyhose
* 1 cup of rolled oats in each leg
* At your choice, dried lavender, rose petals, eucalyptus
* 6 tea bags
* A warm -- not hot -- bath

Choose a pair of pantyhose that can eventually go in the trash. Cut off the legs. Slip 1-2 cups of rolled oats in each leg and tie the end so the oats won't spill out. Place the oats in the bathtub and then fill it with warm water. Hot water can dry your skin further. Soak the "oat legs" in the water until they are good and water-logged. Then, soak in your bath. Use the "oat legs" to pat areas of particularly dry or irritated skin. Drain the tub and pat -- don't rub -- your skin dry.

Some of my patients saved the "oat legs" to use more than once -- that's up to you. There are plenty of variations on this concept as well:

* Make little bags out of muslin and fill them with oatmeal or other dried herbs you like and find soothing such as rose petals or lavender or eucalyptus (I get my scented eye pillows from It's My Nature, and you can get dried herbs there, too)
* Grind up fresh rolled oats in a food processor to make colloidal oatmeal and put this powder directly in the bath water. You may have to experiment -- too coarse and it will clump in the water. Caution! It will make your tub very slippery
* Tie 6 tea bags together and use the strings to hang them below the faucet while you fill the bath. Tannins in the tea will soothe irritated skin. Use tea of your choice. (Herb tea also available from It's My Nature).
1char

Donski

HSC
N/A
sounds too high maintenance. thanks for all the recommendations but cant they not be freakish. lol will test sugar with sorbolene.

boris

Banned
HSC
whatever weirdo, there's nothing freakish about using rolled oats.

beats being red and itchy, but whatever.

Donski

HSC
N/A
lol i can feel the difference...a bit rough first with the sugar but yeah.

ainthatinnocent

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
what are oil seeds?
Hi my sweeties, sorry about the late reply, have been busy with exams. Um, oil seeds are the layman's term for these deposits of oil on your face. Usually around the eye area (I think that's because many moisturising facial products are used around the eye to reduce wrinkles). Look at some older women's faces, where there are these yellowish spots around the eye area that basically look like fat in them, which are under the skin, but not raised or bumpy or anything. Old people have them, not the young. Does that answer the question?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)