what the heck is the edutest thing and how do you study for it? + questions about jrahs (considering to try get in for year 11 2025 jrahs entry :')) (1 Viewer)

Sethio

HSC
it is impossible they limit u at 3 pretty sure. oh wait technically no but idk who out here doing all of those ones

Sethio

HSC
im sure this is greatly helping this girls aspiration of getting into ruse and studying. hopefully, she doesn't misread and start studying 4 science subjects for the edutest.

WeiWeiMan

HSC
im sure this is greatly helping this girls aspiration of getting into ruse and studying. hopefully, she doesn't misread and start studying 4 science subjects for the edutest.
I was in her situation, I wouldn't go to use but rather I'd go to NSB (not being a boy and hence not being able to get in isn't a good enough excuse)

niecoups

HSC
I might be able to offer a bit of insight (maybe). I rejected my offers from all top 3 schools this year after a bit of a rethink. I'd like to build on the point about selective schools having "better teachers". Before I say anything I am not at all targeting the teachers.

But in reality, teachers at selective schools are still part of the public school system. My brother who went to Baulko (pretty consistently top 3) said his teacher's only vocabulary was the textbook. For a teacher at a selective school thats pretty shocking imo. The reason why the teachers might slightly edge your current school is because they are motivated --> because, the kids are motivated and the kids will post good results.

The reason these schools do well is because: 1) the kids are dedicated, to say the least 2) tutoring. I'm not going to sugar coat it but tutoring is what puts you up there most of the time. Sure you can argue about those kids who excel without it but for these schools, the kids and their desire to go tutoring (probs forced by their parent's expectations) is what carries the school. I may remind you ruse started as a "farming school", I had relatives back when the white population dominated. It shot up by immigration and what came was dedicated families looking to do well (can attest with my family lmao).

So what do I mean?

Your school doesn't matter -> it's really how you approach your learning. If you feel behind 1. ask around what to study ahead and 2. probably go to tutoring 🤷‍♂️ (if possible ofc). But my decision came down to the fact that all you need to do is top rank in your school. The way i see it going to the top schools makes it more of like a collaborative journey but if you are down for the challenge top rank at your current school and just perform independently.

The only reason I see viable is if you don't trust your skills at this point and want to be dragged up by the cohort which is kinda useless imo. I mean you are in my graduating year and we are legit 3 years out from HSC. Your concerns about like math and whatnot are not that big of a deal, my school does the same stuff.

But I will also say -> Go for the application 100%. Throw in the $50 which surely won't hurt and just take the opportunity. I was on the edge as well but you sit edutest in around July and like legit from July -> January the next year you have to decide. I rejected my final school on Christmas 🤣 not sure if it was the best idea, but you can just like -> get the offers and have more time to decide.

However, I think you will do just fine. You can also consider academic competition/stress and meeting more academically driven people but other than that yeah.

Also, think about some other schools possibly NSG. They are really strong and the environment is good (and it might aid you with your travel issues). Don't always have to go with the top ones 😅.

Anyways don't stress too much right now -> and just go for the application is what I would say :)
thank you sososoosos much, your message has just internally slapped me in the face bc this was kinda like a wake up call for me considering i have never rethought my education decisions this thoroguhly before. i dont have any siblings nor anybody who has been able to tell me their experiences at school and how their school has been able to benefit them or not but this has rlly educated me so again, thank you so much.

regarding the being 'dragged up by the cohort' and stuff, could you pls elaborate? i didnt know that this was a thing and again, this has been a reason why i have also considered relocating to another school as i have heard from other kids in my school that that if the school you go to performs poorly for the hsc, then that your overall hsc mark gets scaled down a lot to be relative with the rest of your school or smth.

also regarding nsg, nsg has never really been an option i have considered considering in the first place bc i know nothing about them other from that they are forced to abide by bizzare strict guidelines for their english hsc stuff (same with st george girls). are they rlly that strong of a school 😭😭😭

niecoups

HSC
it is impossible they limit u at 3 pretty sure. oh wait technically no but idk who out here doing all of those ones
wtf is a 3 limitation thing can someone pls explain

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)