what TYPE of school do u go to? (1 Viewer)

what TYPE of school do you go to??

• Total voters

JamesTockuss

HSC
Re: Public School vs. Private

Corinne77 said:
The difference between Private school kids and Public school kids is astronomical.
For starters Private school students care a lot more about their education and have a greater willingness to learn. This is partly due to the fact that their parents are paying a huge amount of money to be there, and if they were failing they would immediately be moved to a Public school.

Private school students learn much more about respect and decorum as well as behaviour. Need I even mention... look at the skirt of a Private school girl, and her whole uniform, then look at the uniform of a Public school girl. Private school students learn to look respectable and appreciate what they have.

The teachers at Private schools are also much better trained and equipped as well as the cream of the crop. A good teacher wouldn't work at a Public school where the pay is lousy, the holidays are nothing, and the benefits non-existant. Any good teacher is going to apply to work at a Private school, so they are obviously receiving the best teachers. Teachers who are dedicated and will spend mornings, afternoons, holidays and weekends with their students to help them achieve the best mark.

And finally the facilities make a huge difference. A private school will have the facilities to cater for every students chosen subjects, not to mention will most likely have a laptop available for every student at any given time.

If anyone can rebut these points with pros for a public school, i would love to hear them. But I know by far which school I would rather attend.
God you sound annoying.

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad

I moved from a semi-private (aka. wannabe private) to a public. My current (public) high school is so much better than the private one.
So, the more you pay for education doesn't guarantee its quality.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC

Corinne77 said:
The difference between Private school kids and Public school kids is astronomical.
For starters Private school students care a lot more about their education and have a greater willingness to learn. This is partly due to the fact that their parents are paying a huge amount of money to be there, and if they were failing they would immediately be moved to a Public school.

Private school students learn much more about respect and decorum as well as behaviour. Need I even mention... look at the skirt of a Private school girl, and her whole uniform, then look at the uniform of a Public school girl. Private school students learn to look respectable and appreciate what they have.

The teachers at Private schools are also much better trained and equipped as well as the cream of the crop. A good teacher wouldn't work at a Public school where the pay is lousy, the holidays are nothing, and the benefits non-existant. Any good teacher is going to apply to work at a Private school, so they are obviously receiving the best teachers. Teachers who are dedicated and will spend mornings, afternoons, holidays and weekends with their students to help them achieve the best mark.

And finally the facilities make a huge difference. A private school will have the facilities to cater for every students chosen subjects, not to mention will most likely have a laptop available for every student at any given time.

If anyone can rebut these points with pros for a public school, i would love to hear them. But I know by far which school I would rather attend.
Lol? Look at the top 10 schools and see exactly how many are private, not many right? After you reconsider your 'private school students care a lot more about their education and have a greater willingness to learn', we can decide whether you're an idiot or if you actually realised that public schools dominate private ones.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC

Continuum said:
Lol? Look at the top 10 schools and see exactly how many are private, not many right? After you reconsider your 'private school students care a lot more about their education and have a greater willingness to learn', we can decide whether you're an idiot or if you actually realised that public schools dominate private ones.
QFT.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC

Yeah, but none was made haha. :p But yes, selective public and public are very different.

By the way, it's not that I have anything against private school kids, all the ones I know are nice. It's just the elitist ones that piss me off. :)

hairspray

HSC

facilities @ private schools a WAYYYYYY better!

studentcheese

HSC

Based on rankings, selective public beats private, but that is only because selective schools are taking in the brightest students in the state. Some private schools perform outstandingly well, in spite of the fact that some students aren't at the top of the naturally intelligent list.

Additionally,

Non Selective Public < Private, in terms of rankings.

Hence, if we were to innovate schools so that both public and private have students of the same intelligence, I think private would surpass public in terms of desirable UAI's.

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC

I go to a public high school and I've got no problem with it. All my teachers are great and they're always willing to give extra help should anyone ask. I don't think I've ever had a bad teacher at my school. The facilities aren't that bad. Our senior uniform looks respectable. We're good at sport, debating and visual arts.

I also see no reason why one should have to pay just to get a high school education.

In the end it's the student and not the school. It's what the student makes of their education, whether it is public, selective or private.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

Cinnamonster said:
It's what the student makes of their education, whether it is public, selective or private.
this

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

studentcheese said:
Based on rankings, selective public beats private, but that is only because selective schools are taking in the brightest students in the state. Some private schools perform outstandingly well, in spite of the fact that some students aren't at the top of the naturally intelligent list.

Additionally,

Non Selective Public < Private, in terms of rankings.

Hence, if we were to innovate schools so that both public and private have students of the same intelligence, I think private would surpass public in terms of desirable UAI's.
That is true. My school is comprehensive - so we have both academically gifted and extremely 'academically challenged' students - so I think we do pretty well considering we have a lot of students in the bottom end.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC

Corinne77 said:

lol. tool.

you are one of the reasons many public school students harbour resentment towards private school students

wateva908*

HSC

i used to go to a private school and i now go to a public school and i think in terms of education they are the same and so are th teachers. however facilities are better in private. by the way i am actually doing better in public. however private schools are good as there are less students in the class

beve

Jesus
HSC

Corinne77 said:

get the silver spoon out of your mouth and start talking something real, lol, idiot.

HSC

JESUS.

Just go have a look at school rankings, you'll see that the majority of tops schools are either
i) selective

ii) private.

There's your answer.

HSC

wateva908* said:
i used to go to a private school and i now go to a public school and i think in terms of education they are the same and so are th teachers. however facilities are better in private. by the way i am actually doing better in public. however private schools are good as there are less students in the class
Maybe because the kids at public schools are not as bright as the kids in your previous school.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

It depends on the ranking of your school. Some public schools are pretty good - but then again some are really bad. That's the same with private schools - you have private schools in the Top 200 and you have some ranking in the 500s, 600s and 700s - so it really depends on the school.

Selective schools are different imo - because they have chosen who they deem are the brightest - so therefore they should do good.

kara42

HSC

Having been to both a public school and a private school, I find that private schools are better. I just enjoy it more. In the public school we'd just cause trouble all the time because we could get away with it. Private school you don't get away with it, so you learn.

verdades

HSC

notovereighteen said:
JESUS.

Just go have a look at school rankings, you'll see that the majority of tops schools are either
i) selective

ii) private.

There's your answer.
And a lot of the private schools that rank really highly are the ones in Sydney, which are the most expensive, so they're expected to provide the best education, and so they find any way possible to do it.
In reality, they're not even in the league of possibility for the great proportion of people anyway. They're elitist because they cost so much to attend.
It could also be that they teach you shit all about the real world - technically, school's meant to do that, too.

So you can't base the best school entirely on rankings.
And agreeing with the-derivative ^^. The highschool in the town I live near [I go to one in a small city about 45 mins away] ends up having to do a lot of subjects through DE [like, chemistry], but they rank really highly because they're a small school. Last year, their highest UAI was something like 93, but they were in the top 200 schools.
Still trusting those rankings?

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC

verdades said:
And a lot of the private schools that rank really highly are the ones in Sydney, which are the most expensive, so they're expected to provide the best education, and so they find any way possible to do it.
In reality, they're not even in the league of possibility for the great proportion of people anyway. They're elitist because they cost so much to attend.
It could also be that they teach you shit all about the real world - technically, school's meant to do that, too.

So you can't base the best school entirely on rankings.
And agreeing with the-derivative ^^. The highschool in the town I live near [I go to one in a small city about 45 mins away] ends up having to do a lot of subjects through DE [like, chemistry], but they rank really highly because they're a small school. Last year, their highest UAI was something like 93, but they were in the top 200 schools.
Still trusting those rankings?
Yeah because generally, they're a good indicator. Sure, there might be some outliers (like the school you mentioned) but it provides a pretty good picture.

HSC

the-derivative said:
It depends on the ranking of your school. Some public schools are pretty good - but then again some are really bad. That's the same with private schools - you have private schools in the Top 200 and you have some ranking in the 500s, 600s and 700s - so it really depends on the school.
For this reason there is no use for the generalisations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)