what TYPE of school do u go to? (1 Viewer)

what TYPE of school do you go to??

• Total voters

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Re: Public School vs. Private

everyone just be happy you don't go to a small 'independent' school.
none of the responsibilities or facilities of a private school. everyones cashed up and careless.
i'm on a scholarship, and people feel so bad for my meagre existence they give me money. like some kind of charity.
i used to go to a public school.
and my sister goes to one.
and i wish i'd stuck there.​

HSC

everyone just be happy you don't go to a small 'independent' school.

none of the responsibilities or facilities of a private school. everyones cashed up and careless.
i'm on a scholarship, and people feel so bad for my meagre existence they give me money. like some kind of charity.
i used to go to a public school.
and my sister goes to one.

and i wish i'd stuck there.​
awww id hate to go to an independent school

Dr_Test

HSC
N/A

May i just point out that basing an entire argument on information from one potentially bias American source does not really add to that arguments validity, particularly if its an argument being applied to an Australian institution.
1: You say "potentially biased" because... because you want them to be? Please explain.
2: As for being an American study, that's true, but according to this page (which was hard to find, as almost NOTHING is written out there on Australian schools) it's the same story as in America.

sorry. that is all a load of shit.

...Because let's look at the alternative. The only other thing I could say is: LOL, okay!! I'm inclined to believe you!! Why? Because you have spoken. And everyone knows that when possessionless speaks, you believe because she says it! :music:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

1: You say "potentially biased" because... because you want them to be? Please explain.
2: As for being an American study, that's true, but according to this page (which was hard to find, as almost NOTHING is written out there on Australian schools) it's the same story as in America.
Of course not, that would just be stupid. What i mean is that this information comes from the Council for American private Education, this sites purpose is to promote private schools, they call themselves the primary advocates for American private education. Its doubtful that such an organisation would put anything other than information that would reflect well on private education on their website, it would defy the purpose. See what i mean, this does not necessarily mean the information is bias, but there is definitely the potential for it.

As for the other site you directed me to, this organisation does not substantiate its claims, it simply makes them. Once again, the point of this particular page on the site is to promote private education (just as im sure the public section aims to do the very same thing). Show me proper, substantiated, unbiased comparisons made by an Australian body external of the education system and then your argument can carry some real weight.

Last edited:
HSC

...Because let's look at the alternative. The only other thing I could say is: LOL, okay!! I'm inclined to believe you!! Why? Because you have spoken. And everyone knows that when possessionless speaks, you believe because she says it! :music:
what the hell?!?!?
they're not australian statistics anyway so why should it bother us??
i personally think the private system is better & thats my opinion....

Dr_Test

HSC
N/A

What i mean is that this information comes from the Council for American private Education, this sites purpose is to promote private schools, they call themselves the primary advocates for American private education. Its doubtful that such an organisation would put anything other than information that would reflect well on private education on their website, it would defy the purpose.
If they're posting REAL statistics, they could be martians bent on the destruction of all man-kind, and it wouldn't change anything. Statistics are statistics. First of all, you can't discredit the facts just because of WHO is posting them (just like you can't discredit ME or YOURSELF when speaking for or against private schools, as long as both sides are posting real stats), and second, that organization didn't do the study anyway: it was done by the US Department of Education. (there's a PDF on that page with the whole study)

what the hell?!?!?
they're not australian statistics anyway so why should it bother us??
I posted this as well, from The National Education Directory of Australia.
Quote from that page:
Private schools in Australia may be favoured for many reasons: prestige, and the social status of the 'old school tie'; better quality physical-infrastructure and more facilities (eg. playing fields, swimming pool, etc.), higher-paid teachers, a perceived higher quality of education
Show me proper, substantiated, unbiased comparisons made by an Australian body external of the education system and then your argument can carry some real weight.
Why external of the education system??? I'd say the National Education Directory should be the #1 most reliable source! What the heck are you getting at??? That would be the day if they actually rigged a study (they'd be burned alive), and that would REALLY be the day if anyone would actually be stupid enough to ignore a study of theirs just because ___________. < I dunno, you're going to have explain what on Earth goes on this line.

I think the anti-private school argument here is reaching for really, really thin branches now...

Last edited:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

If they're posting REAL statistics, they could be martians bent on the destruction of all man-kind, and it wouldn't change anything. Statistics are statistics. First of all, you can't discredit the facts just because of WHO is posting them(just like you can't discredit ME or YOURSELF when speaking for or against private schools, as long as both sides are posting real stats), and second, that organization didn't do the study anyway: it was done by the US Department of Education. (there's a PDF on that page with the whole study)
Do you even understand the term bias? Did you even read what i just posted? To omit certain facts can give a very one faced argument and in this sites case, it is in their best interest to only provide evidence of the positive sides of private education. Who posts the information does in fact make a very big difference in its validity, vested interest comes into play and the poster is able to pick and choose what information is to be shared and what is to be left out.

Why external of the education system??? I'd say the National Education Directory should be the #1 most reliable source! What the heck are you getting at??? That would be the day if they actually rigged a study (they'd be burned alive), and that would REALLY be the day if anyone would actually be stupid enough to ignore a study of theirs just because ___________. < I dunno, you're going to have explain what on Earth goes on this line.

I think the anti-private school argument here is reaching for really, really thin branches now...
External of the education system to reduce bias, an outside party often takes a neutral view. You do not need to rig a study or make up statistics to make one thing seem like another. You really need to understand the distinction between 'ignoring' a study due to issues of bias and vested interests and questioning its validity due to these factors.

May i remind you your entire argument is based on one potentially bias American source and one incredibly brief and unsubstantiated Australian source- i am not saying that this means your argument is wrong, i am saying that if you want people to take it seriously, you need to provide more reliable evidence.

EDIT: I read over the entire study in the link you provided, no where are comparisons drawn between public and private schools, there is only statistical analysis of private schools. Please show me where CAPE derived their comparisons. Also, this study has no information on other statistics quoted on the CAPE website, such as what percentage of students feel safe in public v private schools.

Last edited:

Dr_Test

HSC
N/A

Do you even understand the term bias? Did you even read what i just posted?
You're really reaching here. Of course, and of course.

By the way, might I point out that so far I've posted stats (American), and a summary of the Australian Department of Education's utterly unsurprising view on public vs. private schools, while you've posted nothing. That's 2 vs. 0... Are you merely trying to dilute what I'm saying? Because you aren't actually pitching a point; just trying to create doubt about the validity of different sources (even the Australian National Directory of Education) out of thin air.

I know what I'm doing here, and have pointed out (and am continuing to point out, below) how there's nothing wrong with the presented sources (especially if nobody in the other argument can post ANYTHING concrete against it - just piles and piles of fluff, doubt, and skepticism), so it should not only be obvious that nothing's going to "kill" the pro-private-school side of argument, but I'm wondering if the pro-public-school side even thinks public schools are better, or if they're just defending their institution.

may-cat, do you actually think that private schools, on average, are equal or lower than public ones? (If you can't say it flatly, I don't know what you're arguing for)

To omit certain facts can give a very one faced argument and in this sites case, it is in their best interest to only provide evidence of the positive sides of private education.
Please show me where CAPE derived their comparisons. Also, this study has no information on other statistics quoted on the CAPE website, such as what percentage of students feel safe in public v private schools.
(This page) is where the Private vs. Public comparison stats came from (everything is linked to on the original page). And here is (another one), covering different but very related things.

External of the education system to reduce bias, an outside party often takes a neutral view.
I'm not going to consider this. Government education systems have always collected their own statistics (that's usually the only way students/teachers can even get the surveys in their hands in order to fill them out), and they have too much to lose if they did any such study unfairly, or were unfairly biased toward something that they had no reason to promote. They would be torched for pushing an agenda that unfairly modified the public's opinion of every students' education.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

By the way, might I point out that so far I've posted stats (American), and a summary of the Australian Department of Education's utterly unsurprising view on public vs. private schools, while you've posted nothing. That's 2 vs. 0... Are you merely trying to dilute what I'm saying? Because you aren't actually pitching a point; just trying to create doubt about the validity of different sources (even the Australian National Directory of Education) out of thin air.
Your finally getting the point, im not trying to be pro or anti anything, all im trying to point out is that your argument is not as strong as you think it is, your evidence has flaws. Please to not simply toss aside factors that affect validity such as bias and vested interests as being 'made out of thin air'. Such factors can have significant impacts on the information we as the public receive and it is incredibly ignorant to disregard them so readily.

I know what I'm doing here, and have pointed out (and am continuing to point out, below) how there's nothing wrong with the presented sources (especially if nobody in the other argument can post ANYTHING concrete against it - just piles and piles of fluff, doubt, and skepticism), so it should not only be obvious that nothing's going to "kill" the pro-private-school side of argument, but I'm wondering if the pro-public-school side even thinks public schools are better, or if they're just defending their institution.
There is plenty wrong with them, in regards to your argument, that you are simply refusing to acknowledge. Since you didn't seem to get it the first time, i will say it again i am not saying the facts presented are incorrect, i am saying they are possibly bias.

may-cat, do you actually think that private schools, on average, are equal or lower than public ones? (If you can't say it flatly, I don't know what you're arguing for)
I am not arguing for or against private or public schools here, as i mentioned previously, but if you're interested in my opinion, i think it depends on the student. Different schooling systems suit different people, for some, going to a private school will result in better holistic education- both the social and academic side. For others however, the environment may not be what they need to reach their true potential, they may find public schooling more suitable and vice versa.

jules.09

HSC

Public education all the way - state selective ftw. :)

Anus McLovin

HSC

I myself attend a public selective school, but had i not passed the exam, i would have most probably attended a private school. In general, public schools are comparatively shit, there's really no argument.

It is like the analogy of a car.
A shitbox car vs a luxury car. I'd say that it's a unanimous agreement that the luxury car is BETTER than the shitbox, on every single aspect (bar shittiness) That said, people (cept for the few pretentious bastards) will still choose to drive the shitbox than to have nothing at all.

An argument to suggest some people will prefer to drive a shitbox is stupid. In reality, people may choose to not purchase an luxury car and opt for a cheaper alternative due to personal/circumstantial reasons. If they were given one for free, i'd say they would surely choose the luxury car.

In the end, it comes down to a matter of value for money. If private schools were also free, or of a minimal cost, i cannot see people choosing the state run alternative.

jules.09

HSC

I myself attend a public selective school, but had i not passed the exam, i would have most probably attended a private school. In general, public schools are comparatively shit, there's really no argument.

A shitbox car vs a luxury car. I'd say that it's a unanimous agreement that the luxury car is BETTER than the shitbox, on every single aspect (bar shittiness) That said, people (cept for the few pretentious bastards) will still choose to drive the shitbox than to have nothing at all.

An argument to suggest some people will prefer to drive a shitbox is stupid. In reality, people may choose to not purchase an luxury car and opt for a cheaper alternative due to personal/circumstantial reasons. If they were given one for free, i'd say they would surely choose the luxury car.

In the end, it comes down to a matter of value for money. If private schools were also free, or of a minimal cost, i cannot see people choosing the state run alternative.
I suppose you can argue it that way. But plenty of people attend state schools due to ideological reasons. Yes, some of them are extremely bad all round, but yeah. Requires more funding.

Brontecat

HSC

i agree, private schools have the advantage, i think that increasing the wage for teachers at public schools could raise the standards (teachers get paid more at private school) however, when it comes down to it its rlly up 2 the students there the ones who make or break the students, after the teachers of course crap teacher usually (not all of the time, there are some kids who will do well no matter what) equals crap student.

LinziJane

HSC

I went to a public primary school and loved it, had no issues there. I now go to a private high school. Personally, I think the main difference is that the kids at private schools are more likely to be the ones that are really willing to work, not that there isnt plenty of these in public schools.. but parents have got to be prepared to pay a fair amount for a private education, and chances are they arent going to do this for a kid who doesnt want to work. i think ur more likely to get kids playing up in a private school because they might be there coz they dont have a choice..

if u get what i mean.

as long as ur willing to work though.. school shouldnt be whats stopping you. its the effort u put in urself that counts.

iloveapple

HSC

privat skoolz r 4 nerdz & religo ppl​
what ignorance.

I've been to both private and public (selective), and I would have to say that my current public school has facilities that are almost on par with my old private school (bar the absence of a pool), and I love it to bits.

I hate how people are making such ridiculous generalisations, like the idiot above me. Grow a brain, and if you can, get some maturity okay? :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)