what TYPE of school do u go to? (1 Viewer)

what TYPE of school do you go to??

• Total voters

laurabally

HSC
Re: Public School vs. Private

even though it means involving myself in an incredibly old thread that i'm fair certain no one will ever pay a great deal of attention to again, i feel the need to add my two cents worth.
i'm not even going to begin to argue as to why private schools are better, because i'm incredibly biased and i know that no argument put forth by a public school student would change my point of view, so i can't expect mine to do the same.

however there are some things that i feel need to be said re: government funding. television and print media advertise that private schools receive a considerable amount more than public schools do from the federal government, usually accompanied with a photograph of some devoed little kid, totally heartbroken that his parents can't afford to pay for his education themselves. what they are saying is entirely true. but what they fail to mention is state funding. public schools are sometimes known as state schools for a very valid reason. they are run by the state. therefore, a great deal of the state's education budget is allocated to public schools. essentially, state/public schools receive more funding than private schools do.

having been privately educated my whole life, i cannot imagine what it is like not to pay for school. the impressive facilities referred to are a direct result of the fees paid by parents and supporting members of the outer community.

for those of you who have mentioned that 'private schools teach you shit all about the real world' i request an example of this. surely you would know, regardless of your education background, that if you're going to claim something, you need some solid and accurate evidence to back it up.

some of you, both private and public students alike, have suggested that private school students work harder because their parents push them to, so as to take advantage of their privileged education. my experience tells me otherwise. hard working students would work hard regardless of the amount they are paying for their educations because they have a burning desire to do their best irrespective of anything else. and some students will never push themselves, because they prefer to work comfortably, content with the knowledge that daddy's got their back.

as i'm certain has been previously noted, selective public schools hold the highest ranks as they only admit the brightest students in the state, hence 'selecting' their students, whereas private schools will accept anyone willing to pay their dues and follow the rules.

someone used the analogy of car previously, and i believed it to be quite relevant. just like one may choose to purchase a $15 000 used toyota, there will always be people who prefer the luxury of a new lexus. although they both have the same outcome, that is, generally getting you to your required destination, one has certain perks and comforts that the other simply does not offer.

rebutt me?

HSC

im thinking of teaching when i finish school & there is no way in absolute hell will i ever teach at a public school! no way no way no way!!

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

im thinking of teaching when i finish school & there is no way in absolute hell will i ever teach at a public school! no way no way no way!!
lol, im also thinking of teaching and i don't want to ever teach in a private school.

Brontecat

HSC

i personally like private the best and i've been in the catholic, public and christian schools system and so far have found that public schools, in terms of education not people are lacking in good teachers. Last year at a public school i found the quality of the teachers to be considerably less than that of a catholic or christian school, perhaps more commonly the problem of pay - from what i understand most public schools pay less and this shows in teachers. Yes some public schools have much better facilities but who cares if the teachers are crap, it in no way compensates for that.

technicolour

HSC

I'm quite happy in my public school. I think as long as you work hard and like your subjects, you should do well. I've also been lucky in that our school, for the most part, has fantastic teachers. They'll go out of their way to help you with anything.

dood09

Frontier Psychiatrist ☻
HSC
N/A

private>public

gg

jazzzod

HSC

A attended a public school until year 9, i now attend a catholic school.
i find that Private is extremely better. every possible aspect astounds me in how much more you learn/how better the school is.

1. Better teachers, more pleasant, easy to talk to, help ful people
2. Better resources - technological is a big one
3. Better people to genuinly be around with, no idiots that try to make you fail your half-yearly maths exam, etc, etc.

i have experienced both, so i think i have a relevant opinion.

J

Crashy19

HSC

Everyone ends up in the big wide world together any. So obviously Public schools are better coz we have the same idea when we leave. We aren't 'protected' as such from the different kinds of people there are in the world.

it does us all good :D

cuz most private school kids i know are ungrateful little faggots.

haha

terminator69

HSC

The difference between Private school kids and Public school kids is astronomical.
For starters Private school students care a lot more about their education and have a greater willingness to learn. This is partly due to the fact that their parents are paying a huge amount of money to be there, and if they were failing they would immediately be moved to a Public school.

Private school students learn much more about respect and decorum as well as behaviour. Need I even mention... look at the skirt of a Private school girl, and her whole uniform, then look at the uniform of a Public school girl. Private school students learn to look respectable and appreciate what they have.

The teachers at Private schools are also much better trained and equipped as well as the cream of the crop. A good teacher wouldn't work at a Public school where the pay is lousy, the holidays are nothing, and the benefits non-existant. Any good teacher is going to apply to work at a Private school, so they are obviously receiving the best teachers. Teachers who are dedicated and will spend mornings, afternoons, holidays and weekends with their students to help them achieve the best mark.

And finally the facilities make a huge difference. A private school will have the facilities to cater for every students chosen subjects, not to mention will most likely have a laptop available for every student at any given time.

If anyone can rebut these points with pros for a public school, i would love to hear them. But I know by far which school I would rather attend.
This is an excellent summary and I agree with everything you have said except the difference in pay and training for teachers. Teachers are paid the same in both systems and the holidays are very similar.

Dr_Test

HSC
N/A

This is an excellent summary and I agree with everything you have said except the difference in pay and training for teachers. Teachers are paid the same in both systems and the holidays are very similar.
+1. Great summary. (right in line with those statistics I linked to)

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC

most of its wrong

Dr_Test

HSC
N/A

most of its wrong
WHERE DO YOU PEOPLE LEARN YOUR ANTICS???

I was about to say "Go back to school" so you can learn how to present an idea, but then realized the irony. Good grief!

Follow this thread starting from here for an introductory course on how to offer a contrary opinion without sounding like a 2-year old. (and if you're wondering what I'm playing at exactly, you just dismissed someone's well thought-out summary, and a huge, detailed collection of statistics backing it, by merely saying "most of its wrong". If you don't understand why I'm pissed, it's because you slam your opinion in the faces of those who put actual thought and time into their words, and expect to be taken seriously).

...And you call yourself "Magniloquent". I hope that's like some kind of extreme, contradictory joke.

Last edited:

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC

...And you call yourself "Magniloquent". I hope that's like some kind of extreme, contradictory joke.
most of it wasn't backed up at all, and i dont get to choose that status anyway...if u didn't realise

For starters Private school students care a lot more about their education and have a greater willingness to learn.[definitely not true, unless somehow their willingness to learn doesn't infact affect their academic results, unless ur not talking about selective schools and just public public schools, and if so, then thats my bad]This is partly due to the fact that their parents are paying a huge amount of money to be there, and if they were failing they would immediately be moved to a Public school. [theres no evidence for that, more money doesn't mean that people want to learn more, i know people from private schools (top tier ones) who enjoyed it there A LOT but didn't really care about the their academic results]

Private school students learn much more about respect and decorum as well as behaviour. [generalisation, and ur just saying they LEARN about it, but how do u know public schools dont LEARN more about it, also, i'm just speaking from experience of my school, because i dont know much about other public schools, but we DO have quite a lot of respect for our headmaster, and others] Need I even mention... look at the skirt of a Private school girl, and her whole uniform, then look at the uniform of a Public school girl. Private school students learn to look respectable and appreciate what they have. [appreciate how rich they are??no they dont even do that. they dont see how poor other families really are and take what they have for granted]

The teachers at Private schools are also much better trained and equipped as well as the cream of the crop[not really, public schools obtain better results]. A good teacher wouldn't work at a Public school where the pay is lousy, the holidays are nothing[still quite long, u cant really say the holidays are nothing, its more than most jobs], and the benefits non-existant[u get leave and theres low risk of losing ur job]. Any good teacher is going to apply to work at a Private school[not if they support public school education and were schooled in public schools, some teachers were actually taught at the school they are teaching now], so they are obviously receiving the best teachers. Teachers who are dedicated and will spend mornings, afternoons, holidays and weekends with their students to help them achieve the best mark. [too bad, we got that too]

And finally the facilities make a huge difference. A private school will have the facilities to cater for every students chosen subjects, not to mention will most likely have a laptop available for every student at any given time.[yes this is true]

Last edited:

Dr_Test

HSC
N/A

most of it wasn't backed up at all
I linked to these statistics that stated a tremendous case for private schools. I'm assuming you haven't read them.

i dont get to choose that status anyway...if u didn't realise
I see. I didn't.

(good THING you don't get to choose... That certainly saves you some face.)

For starters Private school students care a lot more about their education and have a greater willingness to learn.[definitely not true, unless somehow their willingness to learn doesn't infact affect their academic results, unless ur not talking about selective schools and just public public schools, and if so, then thats my bad
Okay, hang onto something: that page has a section where they polled:
Percentage of teachers who perceive certain issues as serious problems in their schools
Students unprepared to learn:
Private: 30%
Public: 5%

This is partly due to the fact that their parents are paying a huge amount of money to be there, and if they were failing they would immediately be moved to a Public school. [theres no evidence for that, more money doesn't mean that people want to learn more, i know people from private schools (top tier ones) who enjoyed it there A LOT but didn't really care about the their academic results]
You misunderstood her point. She was meaning to say that people (quite naturally) have more pressure to perform if there parents are putting a load of money into whatever they're doing. Naturally, not ALL people will have this same effect (some people are imbeciles, and disrespect their parents' great efforts), but you can't deny that the factor she's pointing out is too natural and obvious to even need further convincing, that an ordinary human being would try harder in those circumstances.

Private school students learn much more about respect and decorum as well as behaviour. [generalisation...
Don't even bother calling "generalisation" and whatnot to HER, because first, she wasn't putting on a traditional "debate" per se, and second, she said everything the way you're supposed to say it if you don't feel like spending ten hours digging up scientific information to back every sentence. If someone is really putting their balls out to drive something home in "debate fashion", then fine, but don't turn all debate-referee on someone who isn't even (yet) looking to play that game.

Anyway, here are some stats (same story as above):
Students disrespect for teachers:
Private: 4%
Public: 17%

All of the other stats in that same box suggest the same about general behavior.

Need I even mention... look at the skirt of a Private school girl, and her whole uniform, then look at the uniform of a Public school girl. Private school students learn to look respectable and appreciate what they have. [appreciate how rich they are??no they dont even do that. they dont see how poor other families really are and take what they have for granted]
As pointed out by that page, 75% of private schools are Christian, so teaching everyone to appreciate what they have is part of the core essence of what they teach.

And why should someone believe your take on this this? Because you say so? Look above; look how empty your statements are. You might as well be shaking a jar, and pulling out random notes about what stance to take.

The teachers at Private schools are also much better trained and equipped as well as the cream of the crop[not really, public schools obtain better results].
LOL... look at all the grade charts toward the top of that page.

A good teacher wouldn't work at a Public school where the pay is lousy, the holidays are nothing[still quite long, u cant really say the holidays are nothing, its more than most jobs], and the benefits non-existant[u get leave and theres low risk of losing ur job].
Now you're just picking bones, and admitting without admitting that she's correct.

A better comment on your part would have been, "Yes, private school teachers have somewhat better benefits, but __________." (I really don't know what to put there)

Any good teacher is going to apply to work at a Private school[not if they support public school education and were schooled in public schools, some teachers were actually taught at the school they are teaching now]
That's way too hypothetical to take seriously. Her case is infinitely more weighty, because even though she isn't linking to actual statistics (which I don't blame, because few people, like me, are stupid enough to waste that much time) her common-sense is actually linking factors with other factors, whereas everything you're saying sounds like it came out of a trash-compactor. (meaning to say, I have absolutely no idea in hell where you are getting your opinions from, because you won't say what they're based on)

And finally the facilities make a huge difference. A private school will have the facilities to cater for every students chosen subjects, not to mention will most likely have a laptop available for every student at any given time.[yes this is true]
Ah, you must have seen these laptops and facilities this with your own two eyes, otherwise there certainly would have been some formless opinion to put forth!

Anyway, I'm hoping more people here have enough wit to take facts for what they are, because shutting the door to private schools just because _______ (haven't even figured it out yet) is incredibly stupid, considering that you have very little time left to make a switch, should you ever decide to go to one. The whole rest of your life (yes, the only one you have), will be affected by what schools you go to (and how much of an idiot you are, if you would rather blindly make presumptions based on nothing about which schools are best to go to - not to imply that ALL public schools are inferior to ALL private schools, of course).

Now, Timothy.Siu, pleeeease don't go post a response just like this one... You know those are too hard for me!! :spzz:

Last edited:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

May i just point out that basing an entire argument on information from one potentially bias American source does not really add to that arguments validity, particularly if its an argument being applied to an Australian institution.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)