Which subject is more "prestigious" - English Extension 2 or Mathematics Extension 2? (1 Viewer)

YO!

• ME2

Votes: 243 60.4%
  • EE2

Votes: 102 25.4%
  • Neither - It's a silly question

Votes: 57 14.2%

• Total voters

Schoey93

HSC
Re: Which subject is more "prestigious" - English Extension 2 or Mathematics Extensio

I think maths, because really, anyone with a basic skill in english could put together a 4u english major work if they worked hard enough at it and get a decent mark. For maths though, a certain skill is required, and there are some people, who no matter how hard they work at 4u maths won't be able to do it.

"anyone with a basic skill in english could put together a 4u english major work if they worked hard enough at it and get a decent mark. for maths though, a certain skill is required"

CLAIRE:

1) Successful performance in HSC English does not require "a basic skill"; it requires SEVERAL fundamental (basic) skills, good writing technique and an excellent written expression, along with SUPERB vocabularly and high capability in manipulating language to make it work for you and the point of view you want to put across.
2) MATHS is essentially MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to acquire fundamental and complex skill in, compared to English and literature studies.

In 4u Maths, Claire, the responses aren't even subjective!! They're objective response questions (and that is for all HSC maths courses all the way from Gen. through to 4u) ... English has until perhaps the discovery of The Monty Hall Problem being much more difficult a discipline that mathematics in my opinion.

This is of course taking into account that the more complex, difficult branches of mathematics as a branch of science, but also as an artform, are not incorporated into the HSC 4u mathematics courses.

What about conjectures? What about natural proofs - mathematicians hate the kind of garbage that HSC maths teachers preach - e.g. "a geometrical proof MUST include the symbols for angles, parallel lines, vert. opp., supp. angles, alt. angles, corresp. angles and the like". It is NOT true nor is it encouraging TRUE mathematics, and that is why; I conclude now that - Claire - you're wrong. EE2 is, or at least SHOULD be much more prestigious than MX2.

James :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Re: Which subject is more "prestigious" - English Extension 2 or Mathematics Extensio

It's obviously subjective.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC

1) Successful performance in HSC English does not require "a basic skill"; it requires SEVERAL fundamental (basic) skills, good writing technique and an excellent written expression, along with SUPERB vocabularly and high capability in manipulating language to make it work for you and the point of view you want to put across.
2) MATHS is essentially MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to acquire fundamental and complex skill in, compared to English and literature studies.
You don't even fucking do 4unit. ANYONE can write a 4u major work. give someone a year and they can write one. 'good' is subjective.

not everyone is able to do math.
Anyone without a mental or physical disability could probably rote learn the formulae from Mathematics 2 Unit all the way through to Mathematics Extension 2, and all it would require is a good memory.
have you even seen the course? 2unit is rote learnt but 3unit onwards does require critical and problem solving skills.

you don't remember SHIT for questions 4-8 in the 4unit paper.
In 4u Maths, Claire, the responses aren't even subjective!! They're objective response questions (and that is for all HSC maths courses all the way from Gen. through to 4u) ... English has until perhaps the discovery of The Monty Hall Problem being much more difficult a discipline that mathematics in my opinion.
so you're bashing onto something because it is set in stone with one unique answer? oh right sorry, one guy can give me a different mark to another in english - thats right, if someone doesn't like it they can take off marks.

you can't do that for maths.
This is of course taking into account that the more complex, difficult branches of mathematics as a branch of science, but also as an artform, are not incorporated into the HSC 4u mathematics courses.
q's 7-8 and harder 3unit topics will stump some uni students, so don't bash on it when you haven't even done it

What about conjectures? What about natural proofs - mathematicians hate the kind of garbage that HSC maths teachers preach - e.g. "a geometrical proof MUST include the symbols for angles, parallel lines, vert. opp., supp. angles, alt. angles, corresp. angles and the like". It is NOT true nor is it encouraging TRUE mathematics, and that is why; I conclude now that - Claire - you're wrong. EE2 is, or at least SHOULD be much more prestigious than MX2.
James :)
you try to jsutify not doing math becuase the 'hsc course is shit' - guess what, hsc provides a FUNDAMENTAL BACKGROUND TO PROBLEM SOLVING/MATHEMATICS. the hsc courses are meant (4unit especially) to provide critical thinking and a mathematical mindset. the exams and content might be easy enough, but 4unit is a mindset, not a difficulty.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

That's a biased view.

Anyone without a mental or physical disability could probably rote learn the formulae from Mathematics 2 Unit all the way through to Mathematics Extension 2, and all it would require is a good memory.
You don't know anything about Mathematics Extension 2. You cannot say that until you have experienced Mathematics Extension 2. Having both done 2 Unit to 3 Unit Mathematics while currently undertaking Mathematics Extension 2, I can seriously say that rote learning is impossible, especially for Mathematics Extension 2.

Besides you can rote learn English by memorising essays and appropriately putting them according to question. In terms of memory, I am sure you do much more for HSC English than you do for HSC Mathematics.

How does the subjectivity of the course determine its level of prestige?

Who says that they hate it? You are only really referring to Mathematics. Mathematics Extension 2 is quite an excellent course for stimulating some of the best mathematical minds around the state.

Besides, I can say the same thing for current English course.

I don't think any course is "more prestigious" than the other. People are talking about how dificult it is and shit, but how is that related to the course's level of prestige in anyway?

M.T.T.

HSC

As a person who had to choose between MX2 and EX2, I chose EX2 because I preferred the ability of creative expression in literature over the rigid and conformist nature of mathematics.

I still do MX1, and mathematics comes naturally to me. I have the right frame of mind to tackle mathematical problems. I have that natural talent that would have let me achieve the marks in MX2.

But I don't care about the scaling.
I care about what I learn, not ensuring that my future is the best.

Which is why I chose EX2. In learning about literary ideas and values in the 18th and 19th century, I feel that my intellect is much more satisfied than when I do MX1 questions.

Prestige, you ask? Might as well ask, "what do you prefer: maths or english?"

It's a biased topic. Prestige is subjective. In this topic, it comes down to 'Asians' versus 'bookworms.'

But my vote goes to History Extension. Those fuckers get more of my love than MX2ers.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC

As a person who had to choose between MX2 and EX2, I chose EX2 because I preferred the ability of creative expression in literature over the rigid and conformist nature of mathematics.

I still do MX1, and mathematics comes naturally to me. I have the right frame of mind to tackle mathematical problems. I have that natural talent that would have let me achieve the marks in MX2.

Which is why I chose EX2. In learning about literary ideas and values in the 18th and 19th century, I feel that my intellect is much more satisfied than when I do MX1 questions.

It's a biased topic. Prestige is subjective. In this topic, it comes down to 'Asians' versus 'bookworms.'

But my vote goes to History Extension. Those fuckers get more of my love than MX2ers.
hahaha yeah right.

so whats your name? ill look for it in the newspaper to see if you state ranked.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
You don't even fucking do 4unit. ANYONE can write a 4u major work. give someone a year and they can write one. 'good' is subjective.

you try to jsutify not doing math becuase the 'hsc course is shit' - guess what, hsc provides a FUNDAMENTAL BACKGROUND TO PROBLEM SOLVING/MATHEMATICS. the hsc courses are meant (4unit especially) to provide critical thinking and a mathematical mindset. the exams and content might be easy enough, but 4unit is a mindset, not a difficulty.
nicely put

Among 09ers, only lolokay can say that.

cookie.banana

Banned
HSC

This has turned into a discussion of which subject is harder, the thread title clearly questions which is more "prestigious" i.e having respectable reputation in society.

I'm not saying this because i do ee2 and am being competitive, but i have asked several people which they consider to be better regarded and they all said english, which is also clearly a matter of opinion and not stone cold fact...
this isn't a reflection of the difficulty of each subject, just what the main aspect of society considers to be a more competent manifestation of personal ability

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

This has turned into a discussion of which subject is harder, the thread title clearly questions which is more "prestigious" i.e having respectable reputation in society.

I'm not saying this because i do ee2 and am being competitive, but i have asked several people which they consider to be better regarded and they all said english, which is also clearly a matter of opinion and not stone cold fact...
this isn't a reflection of the difficulty of each subject, just what the main aspect of society considers to be a more competent manifestation of personal ability
well it doesn't have to do anything with society. It can just be based on individual's idea of "prestige". Some people link difficulty with prestige while others link subjectivity with prestige (which really has no basis imho).

LordPc

HSC

not everyone is able to do math.
Id say this is a misconeption. I had a look at some band E1 and E2 EE2 major works and was very suprised by the extreme lack of skill. I would agree that could write a major work, but writing a good one, even 40+/50 takes more than just "anyone". and yes "good" is subjective, which is why I hate english courses, but if you make it good enough, opinion has very little room when it is being marked.

eg, a lot of people love tolkien. but even those that dont (without being petty like "I dont like fantasy") couldnt say that LotR is total crap.

you also have to consider that maths gives you a question to work with whereas english doesnt. you are simply told to write something with a world limit and a choice of possible mediums. so english you go from nothing to something, where in maths you go from something to just one thing. very different approaches.

tessayu

HSC

lol! i do HX1~ and HX1 is love

i'm impressed by both subjects ... though i'm a teensy bit more awed by those who attempt MX2 ... simply cuz english comes to me more easily than maths

and i think that people are generally more impressed if you do subjects that they can't do or struggle to do - entirely subjective

Last edited:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

I agree that MX2 is more difficult, but i wouldn't say that anyone can write a 4 unit major work, like maths, for some people it just doesn't click.

Woteva636

HSC

I dunno, english has prestiege, becasue you have to do three subjects of english, and sit at least four exams (i think), plus theres a shit load of course work that has to be done, so if you can do it and do it well you'll hopefully be admired.

on the other hand, for maths you have to do two subjects of maths, but it also helps to do the mathematics course, although you only do two exams (the ext 2 exam is before the ext 1 exam!!!!!:burn:)

I do ext 2 maths, and am way behind schedual. i was finished the mathematics course by the start of this term, i finished the ext 1 prelim course in about week 3 this term and atm hope to finish the etx1 HSC course by the end of the term. so far ive done three-four weeks of the ext 2 course, so will need to put in some serious effort to finish it. i think that sort of effort, no matter what for, has prestiege.

that said, i did etx 1 english last year (prelim), but would never have carried it on this year, or gone to ext 2, i absolutly hated it!

back to the question, i think that there is a certain level of prestiege associated with both etx 2 maths and etx 2 english, and your fellow students will either admire your effort for doing either one or think that your absolutly mad (they may have a point...), but after school in a job the level of prestiege associated with either subject will depend on what sort of job it is (ie for an engineer maths has more prestiege, but for an arts student english would)

Uncle

Banned
HSC

How about this.
Send person one who only does EE2 to do an English major.
Send person two who only does ME2 to do a Maths major.
Send person three who does both EE2 and ME2 to do an English and Maths major (double degree).
After several years see who is better off.
(Leeching off spouse or relatives does not count).

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC

Maths gets the "WOW" thing.
English gets the "WHA!" thing.

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad

maths > english

Dumbledore

HSC

i don't do both so i may be wrong

i think that EX2 will require alot more work and effort than MX2 and to me, prestigousness is related to difficulty of the course as a prestigous course will be a "hard" course that not many people do.

as i said i'm not too sure of the workload of EX2 but i know how much u need for MX2 and EX2 people in my school are murdering themselves in study hall, working all day and stressing, much more than the MX2 people

sander

HSC

Maths Ext 2

Hermes1

Banned
HSC

I just saw this thread 2day. wat a joke srsly. Maths extension 2 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more prestigious that EE2. just look at the reaction of people when they see u do 4U maths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)