Which subject is more "prestigious" - English Extension 2 or Mathematics Extension 2? (1 Viewer)

YO!

• ME2

Votes: 243 60.4%
  • EE2

Votes: 102 25.4%
  • Neither - It's a silly question

Votes: 57 14.2%

• Total voters

Wassup?

Banned
HSC
Personally, I'd say Extension 2 English. Dunno why. I just do. What do you think?

Wassup?

Banned
HSC
runnable said:
No competition. Maths Ext 2 smashes 4U Eng in scaling and prestigiousness.
Fair enough. I guess there is a natural "beauty" about Maths that I seem to have missed. Do you do any of the courses?

BoyNextDoor

HSC
I'd have to say Maths Extension 2. Cause its Maths and we all know how difficult Maths is. hehehe lol

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Really depends on the university course you wish to get into. University courses like Speech Pathology would be more interested in your result in English than your result in MX2.

runnable

HSC
Re: Which subject is more "prestigious" - English Extension 2 or Mathematics Extensio

lyounamu said:
Really depends on the university course you wish to get into. University courses like Speech Pathology would be more interested in your result in English than your result in MX2.
I think he was asking more about the prestigiousness of the courses within high school.

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
Re: Which subject is more "prestigious" - English Extension 2 or Mathematics Extensio

I find ext 2 english more prestigious, because no one does that in my school. But Maths, pretty much everyone does 2 Unit and quiet a few does extension 2, even I could've done it. However, for ext 2 english I would never stand a chance.

cccclaire

HSC
I think maths, because really, anyone with a basic skill in english could put together a 4u english major work if they worked hard enough at it and get a decent mark. For maths though, a certain skill is required, and there are some people, who no matter how hard they work at 4u maths won't be able to do it.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

runnable said:
I think he was asking more about the prestigiousness of the courses within high school.
Well, it's really up to the personal interpretation. He didn't specify it.

u-borat

Banned
HSC

maths easily.

shaon0

HSC
Wassup? said:
Personally, I'd say Extension 2 English. Dunno why. I just do. What do you think?
MX2 because to do really well in it ie. 97+ you have to have pure natural talent whereas in ENX2 anyone can complete a major work if they try hard enough.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
shaon0 said:
MX2 because to do really well in it ie. 97+ you have to have pure natural talent whereas in ENX2 anyone can complete a major work if they try hard enough.
Nah, I disagree. Both works require a intensive work and great degree of effort and natural talent to get a good result.

Razzah

HSC
Why are there 09ers commenting on this? Wait 'til you actually get there. Without a doubt its Maths.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Razzah said:
Why are there 09ers commenting on this? Wait 'til you actually get there. Without a doubt its Maths.
Prejudice much? How are you to know that 09ers have any idea in regards to this issue or not?

And what I am saying on this forum are all known as common sense. All I am doing here is to recite all those common sense all out. Even the Year 10 kids would be able to tell that EX2 AND MX2 both require a intensive amount of work.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
err...no not really.

im sitting here with an internal eng ext 2 mark of 43/50; not quite what i wanted, but meh it aint counting anyway; with literally ZERO work.

ext 2 maths on the other hand, takes up 1 hour+ a night just to compete the homework.

runnable

HSC

lyounamu said:
Well, it's really up to the personal interpretation. He didn't specify it.

Yea but you decided to talk about the prestigiousness of English in certain fields instead of maths. Borrowing from you, "prejudice much?"

VicerExciser

HSC

mmmmm, does anyone smell dat delicious IRONINGZ?

Zephyrio

HSC
I don't think that any ordinary person could just pull together an extension two English major work. With all due respect to all those who believe this, I know of people who pour their heart and soul into crafting their short stories, critical responses, poetry or whatever. It is definitely not easy work. What you see in the Showcase books is hardly an accurate portrayal of the type of work that goes into major works. Behind that, you have literally 500+ sheets of logbook work, ten or so months of tirelessly crafting your work etc; many months of research and in many cases, reading other short stories and critical theory. And not to mention that this is all for a one unit subject.

To get a good mark, you have to work damn hard. On a unit per unit basis, it's as intensive as anything you'll get in the HSC syllabus, alongside 4U maths. According to kony etc, the standards for 4U maths have dropped to the extent where 100% or 99% raw in the HSC paper is a very real possibility. He should know. LOL

Last edited:

seano77

Walk On
HSC

Some people think people who do ME2 are just talented and, altough they put the hours in, its more a matter of how your brain works than anything else. EE2 on the other hand, requires a development of skills throughout the year and is not seen as a subject only 'freaks' do. (No offence). Therefore in my experience EE2 is seen as a more prestigious subject. Also, it takes a lot more effort as you are not merely building on the skills you've learnt from yr7 maths or that you're building from extension 1. EE1 english doesn't really have anything to do with the other english courses.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)