Will you be booted out of the house if you do not achieve a good UAI? (1 Viewer)

WannaBang?

HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
hahaha, thank you. ill take that as a compliment!

but i wasnt being literal :p
No, what he is saying is that you can never know if you got a UAI of 12 because Board of Studies will just classify it as <30 to keep your feelings intact. :)

For some reason, that sentence looks and sounds so fragmented. Pick out my mistakes and tell me what they are.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
WannaBang? said:
No, what he is saying is that you can never know if you got a UAI of 12 because Board of Studies will just classify it as <30 to keep your feelings intact. :)

For some reason, that sentence looks and sounds so fragmented. Pick out my mistakes and tell me what they are.
i know!
i was just feeding my ego.
and, as i said, i wasnt being literal.

i dont find anything wrong with it
but im not in a habit of reading things online alloud :p

WannaBang?

HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
i know!
i was just feeding my ego.
and, as i said, i wasnt being literal.

i dont find anything wrong with it
but im not in a habit of reading things online alloud :p
That's cute.

conics2008

HSC
Well, Its my life not theirs....

I rather get into Uni, I cant stand tafe or the look of tafe. Uni is just way better and inorder to get into uni you need good uai.. soo BOBLEM solved!

Devouree

Good names already taken.
HSC
Reading through this topic, I really have to say LMAO, LOL and every1 knows what else fits here...

First of all, when you say one of the top schools I'd take it to mean top 10 ~ 20 schools. Sorry, but that's the truth. If you want to get over 90 UAI (and face facts, that's what most of us are aiming at, even if it is unrealistic :p) then 30th school just isn't good enough. And anyway, partially selective schools, pfft.

Second, about asian stereotypes. I think SOME people are overeacting to this whole area. I'm asian, whilst there is stereotyping, seriously most of you are overexaggerating just a bit. Here's a short history of myself (even if you don't want it, but it proves my point): I was born in Melbourne, then at the age of 4 moved to China and lived there until year 3. Then i went to Hong Kong and studied at an international school until year 5. I did year 6 here in sydney at one of the worst public schools (in academic terms... horror....)-Hurstville South, and now i go to sydney boys, which used to be 3rd but is dropping steadily. SO I probably have more experience than you some of you idiots. I've never had any1 say :"nah, sry that's the price mate", or "open your eyes you slant-eyed freak" etc. I used to attend coaching in the Shire, and my friends still live there. There is racism of course, but only if you aggravate other people. Don't annoy them and they won't annoy you... feel free to argue this point.

Do you seriously see people doing what you described on trains? I've asked around, and in the hundred or so people I've asked, or seen myself, I've never experienced couples, asian or not, asking others to vacate seats. Maybe in your drug-induced world, asswipe, but certainly not on sydney's trains.

Next, something I read in a newspaper. Sure, asians might spend their senior high school years without seeing much sunlight :p, but so what? After they get their 99+ UAI, their life is basically mapped out (rhetorically speaking). Their set for life, and no more money issues! (this sounds pretty shallow, but come on, you know it's true.)

Finally, what this topic is actually about. Yeah, it's true. Seriously, if you get below 95 UAI then for asian parents it's actually better if you just went somewhere else and died. My parents wouldn't throw me out, but the disappointment both from them and from yourself would be VERY painful indeed. Asian parents literally cannot imagine their child NOT going to uni, it just doesn't work in their minds. So no, they won't throw me out.... but I kinda wish they would if i failed that badly.

NB: Feel free to flame me, I don't mind. But think this through; you know it's true. I've probably made a heap of errors, but really, would you re-read through this??? no...

dwarven

[SMSHS'08']
HSC
LOL at most of the previous posts

think some parents do kick kids out
hope i dont get kicked out

WannaBang?

HSC
Devouree said:
Reading through this topic, I really have to say LMAO, LOL and every1 knows what else fits here...

First of all, when you say one of the top schools I'd take it to mean top 10 ~ 20 schools. Sorry, but that's the truth. If you want to get over 90 UAI (and face facts, that's what most of us are aiming at, even if it is unrealistic :p) then 30th school just isn't good enough. And anyway, partially selective schools, pfft.

Second, about asian stereotypes. I think SOME people are overeacting to this whole area. I'm asian, whilst there is stereotyping, seriously most of you are overexaggerating just a bit. Here's a short history of myself (even if you don't want it, but it proves my point): I was born in Melbourne, then at the age of 4 moved to China and lived there until year 3. Then i went to Hong Kong and studied at an international school until year 5. I did year 6 here in sydney at one of the worst public schools (in academic terms... horror....)-Hurstville South, and now i go to sydney boys, which used to be 3rd but is dropping steadily. SO I probably have more experience than you some of you idiots. I've never had any1 say :"nah, sry that's the price mate", or "open your eyes you slant-eyed freak" etc. I used to attend coaching in the Shire, and my friends still live there. There is racism of course, but only if you aggravate other people. Don't annoy them and they won't annoy you... feel free to argue this point.

Do you seriously see people doing what you described on trains? I've asked around, and in the hundred or so people I've asked, or seen myself, I've never experienced couples, asian or not, asking others to vacate seats. Maybe in your drug-induced world, asswipe, but certainly not on sydney's trains.

Next, something I read in a newspaper. Sure, asians might spend their senior high school years without seeing much sunlight :p, but so what? After they get their 99+ UAI, their life is basically mapped out (rhetorically speaking). Their set for life, and no more money issues! (this sounds pretty shallow, but come on, you know it's true.)

Finally, what this topic is actually about. Yeah, it's true. Seriously, if you get below 95 UAI then for asian parents it's actually better if you just went somewhere else and died. My parents wouldn't throw me out, but the disappointment both from them and from yourself would be VERY painful indeed. Asian parents literally cannot imagine their child NOT going to uni, it just doesn't work in their minds. So no, they won't throw me out.... but I kinda wish they would if i failed that badly.

NB: Feel free to flame me, I don't mind. But think this through; you know it's true. I've probably made a heap of errors, but really, would you re-read through this??? no...
You can't honestly think that no sunlight is healthy for growing children. The first say 20 years of your life are the building blocks of the rest of your life. It is when you are most impressionable and when you learn most of life's lessons. Being locked in a box isn't healthy. Also, after HSC, most Asians will go on to further study which means another 5 years locked in a box. Now are you telling me wasting a quarter of your life is really worth the high income you MAY recieve after you finish your HSC?

And please don't try to convince me that Asians only study very hard for the last 2 years of their education, because you and I both know that isn't true. I was sitting in a dentist waiting room once and I saw an Asian lady teaching her 3-4 year old daughter FRENCH! Not English, but French!

I can tell you, I probably know Asians more than most people here, because I go to a school with more than 90% of the students being Asian.

But, you guys do have some good points. You have a nice strong work ethic, and you really do work hard to be where you are at.

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Devouree said:

Pathetic of you to look down on partially selective schools, more so pathetic that you think you need to be top 20 to get 90+. Wake up sunshine, top 30 is a good ranking for a school and 90+ is sure as hell possible at any school.

Devouree said:
You're a moron. 99+ UAI means nothing once you enter Uni, and the kids that get no sunlight FAIL in Uni AND the workforce.

Devouree said:
this??? no...
Because asian parents don't necessarily see that UAI =/= life.

You really need to do some research before babbling on about shit.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
Devouree said:
it isn't the truth. refering to 'one of the top schools' is subjective. different people would have different opinions on what they think 'one of the top school is'. and no not everyone is aiming for a UAI of 90? why would someone aim for a UAI of 90 if it is unrealistic for some like you said. also some people are doing the HSC without even wanting to recieve a UAI/ not eligable to recieve one.

Second, about asian stereotypes. I think SOME people are overeacting to this whole area. I'm asian, whilst there is stereotyping, seriously most of you are overexaggerating just a bit. Here's a short history of myself (even if you don't want it, but it proves my point): I was born in Melbourne, then at the age of 4 moved to China and lived there until year 3. Then i went to Hong Kong and studied at an international school until year 5. I did year 6 here in sydney at one of the worst public schools (in academic terms... horror....)-Hurstville South, and now i go to sydney boys, which used to be 3rd but is dropping steadily. SO I probably have more experience than you some of you idiots. I've never had any1 say :"nah, sry that's the price mate", or "open your eyes you slant-eyed freak" etc. I used to attend coaching in the Shire, and my friends still live there. There is racism of course, but only if you aggravate other people. Don't annoy them and they won't annoy you... feel free to argue this point.Do you seriously see people doing what you described on trains? I've asked around, and in the hundred or so people I've asked, or seen myself, I've never experienced couples, asian or not, asking others to vacate seats. Maybe in your drug-induced world, asswipe, but certainly not on sydney's trains.
what the hell are you talking about? more experience in terms of what? i dont think anyone said "nah, sry that's the price mate", or "open your eyes you slant-eyed freak" on this thread (although i could be wrong). anyway i dont really understand your point?

wtf? yeah way to reinforce the steorotypes. also most asians believe it or not don't get a UAI of 99+ (even though the people that do get 99+ may be made of a majority of asians). also it is not necessarily true. they are not necessarily set for life just because they achieve a high UAI. a high UAI is not an indicator of how successful a person will be in the future or how much money they will earn. if they do believe that then clearly they are not as smart as they think they are.

again stop with the fucking stereotypes. stop claiming what is true and what is not cause clearly you have no idea.

ive thought it though and i think you are full of bullshit. firstly you say that stereotypes are overexaggurated and the next thing you actually use some of the stereotypes in what you say. i think that before you claim that something is true or not you should provide evidence before you make that statement. youre argument is very weak based on the fact that you are using a lot of generalisations.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
melanieeeee. said:
actually sefton has done better than in previous years when there rank was in the 70's. coming from 70's to 30's is pretty good.
Sorry to get your hopes down (if you actually go there) but Sefton has recently been doing very badly. Last year's rank was 48th, I think. In 2001 it was ranked 14th, followed by somewhere in the 30s by 2002 and 40s by 2003. Sefton had its worst performance in 2004 ranked at 56th. Somehow, Class of 2005 was a one-off and rocketed up to 28th with a lot of state rankings in various subjects (which is perhaps why they haven't updated HSC results since Class of 05 on the website lol). Class of 06 and 07 brought it back down to miserable lows again. What result will arise from Class of 08?
The only thing keeping Sefton from falling to the 100+th ranks of its rival semi-selective school Macquarie Fields HS is the fact that its performance in Maths (roughly 30-40% band 6/E4 success rate) is above many fully-selective schools. Sefton was never ranked in the 70s overall because of this, well at least ever since the new HSC was introduced in 2001.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
Trebla said:
Sorry to get your hopes down (if you actually go there) but Sefton has recently been doing very badly. Last year's rank was 48th, I think. In 2001 it was ranked 14th, followed by somewhere in the 30s by 2002 and 40s by 2003. Sefton had its worst performance in 2004 ranked at 56th. Somehow, Class of 2005 was a one-off and rocketed up to 28th with a lot of state rankings in various subjects (which is perhaps why they haven't updated HSC results since Class of 05 on the website lol). Class of 06 and 07 brought it back down to miserable lows again. What result will arise from Class of 08?
The only thing keeping Sefton from falling to the 100+th ranks of its rival semi-selective school Macquarie Fields HS is the fact that its performance in Maths (roughly 30-40% band 6/E4 success rate) is above many fully-selective schools. Sefton was never ranked in the 70s overall because of this, well at least ever since the new HSC was introduced in 2001.
i dont go to sefton. but i remember reading somewhere that seftons rank was in the 60's/70's dont really know when but yeah i remember cause our school used to beat there school and suddenly they skyed rocket above us into the 40's.

HolyDang

HSC
If life fails, I'll either become a bouncer or garbage truck driver. No sweat.

Smithereens

HSC
Devouree said:

Typical of the rude behaviour that was described before about Asian stereotypes. So upright and arrogant.

Devouree

HSC
tommykins said:
Pathetic of you to look down on partially selective schools, more so pathetic that you think you need to be top 20 to get 90+. Wake up sunshine, top 30 is a good ranking for a school and 90+ is sure as hell possible at any school.

You're a moron. 99+ UAI means nothing once you enter Uni, and the kids that get no sunlight FAIL in Uni AND the workforce.

Because asian parents don't necessarily see that UAI =/= life.

You really need to do some research before babbling on about shit.
Seriously, some of the posts here make sense. Yours doesn't. I believe I've done more fucking research than you'll ever have. Let's see now. You say that 99UAI doesn't mean anything in uni. Do you even have ANY bloody idea what your talking about? I want to get into com/law at unsw, and that requires 99.3 UAI. if I got 95 UAI that's basically a straight rejection. Now some1 'smart' may argue that who cares if you don't make it into that particular course, and that person would probably be right. But saying that 99 UAI means nothing is, plainly, stupid of you (i wonder if this forum has a strict non-cussing policy...).

And what do you mean the kids who get no sunlight fail in uni and the workforce. They'll do better than you, that's for certain. They actually know how to study, and how the work hard at something without getting distracted (skills I personally lack :p). Now where did this negative stereotype of sunlight-deficient asian kids come from? Who the fuck do you know who doesn't get sunlight, or is 'locked up in a box'??? Cause I have no idea what you mean, please explain.

Well then, let's see your school get that top 30 ranking so-called 'top school' ranking. Cause what I said is the truth, blockhead. A normal public high school will actually DRAG DOWN YOUR MARKS!!! Because the assessments at these schools are automatically assumed to be marked easily (even if they're not), --- OK, I admit that's wrong, but reading other parts of this forum will explain it fully---. So your doing you HSC before me hey? Let's see your 90+ UAI then.

So in the end, maybe you should cease your babbling and get on with that study which is all you'll ever be doing, cause you fail at life, idiot.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
Devouree said:
Seriously, some of the posts here make sense. Yours doesn't. I believe I've done more fucking research than you'll ever have. Let's see now. You say that 99UAI doesn't mean anything in uni. Do you even have ANY bloody idea what your talking about? I want to get into com/law at unsw, and that requires 99.3 UAI. if I got 95 UAI that's basically a straight rejection. Now some1 'smart' may argue that who cares if you don't make it into that particular course, and that person would probably be right. But saying that 99 UAI means nothing is, plainly, stupid of you (i wonder if this forum has a strict non-cussing policy...).
i think he means it means nothing once that person gets into the course they want to get into at uni. (if you re-read it you will find that he implied that)

And what do you mean the kids who get no sunlight fail in uni and the workforce. They'll do better than you, that's for certain. They actually know how to study, and how the work hard at something without getting distracted (skills I personally lack :p). Now where did this negative stereotype of sunlight-deficient asian kids come from? Who the fuck do you know who doesn't get sunlight, or is 'locked up in a box'??? Cause I have no idea what you mean, please explain.
ummm you were the one that said it first?
Devouree said:
Sure, asians might spend their senior high school years without seeing much sunlight :p,
Well then, let's see your school get that top 30 ranking so-called 'top school' ranking. Cause what I said is the truth, blockhead. A normal public high school will actually DRAG DOWN YOUR MARKS!!! Because the assessments at these schools are automatically assumed to be marked easily (even if they're not), --- OK, I admit that's wrong, but reading other parts of this forum will explain it fully---. So your doing you HSC before me hey? Let's see your 90+ UAI then.
it isn't that there marks are necessarily dragged down, for the sake of dragging it down. it is because marks need to be moderated in order for the system to be fair. just like any other school.

Last edited:

Devouree

HSC
OK, I admit your right in some aspects. I wasn't trying to start an argument, I just wanted people to be more realistic. Just because stereotypes are wrong doesn't mean they don't affect you. There is no such thing as a 'typical azn fob'.

What I was trying to say is that high school and uni are completely different. The lifestyle, the 'fun', and the study are all different. But to advance FROM high school into uni you first need to get a relatively good UAI (depending on what you want from life). So that was what I was trying to say. Once you get into that course then the UAI no longer matters, but the emphasis on 'once you get in'.

And what I said before was that they don't see "much sunlight", not no sunlight. And the {:p} at the end might have suggested to some more intelligent people that it wasn't meant in all seriousness. But I guess that's too much to ask from the types of tommykins.

And as I said, see the difference between a thoughout answer (not me, but melanie) and a troll-ish answer that is just there to aggravate tensions and bag out other people. If you seriously think that without study your gonna get a brilliant bright future then your an idiot, frankly speaking (barring any unforeseen talents or luck...).

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
Devouree said:
OK, I admit your right in some aspects. I wasn't trying to start an argument, I just wanted people to be more realistic. Just because stereotypes are wrong doesn't mean they don't affect you. There is no such thing as a 'typical azn fob'.
yes ok we get that you are against asian stereotypes but the thing is you are not helping the situation by constantly referring to them.

What I was trying to say is that high school and uni are completely different. The lifestyle, the 'fun', and the study are all different. But to advance FROM high school into uni you first need to get a relatively good UAI (depending on what you want from life). So that was what I was trying to say. Once you get into that course then the UAI no longer matters, but the emphasis on 'once you get in'.
a good uai is a really broad term. what do you mean by a good UAI? a student that got a UAI of 60 may see it as a crap UAI but is able to go to uni anyway (at a uni that has a lower cut off). also getting a 'good' UAI is not the only way to get into uni.

And what I said before was that they don't see "much sunlight", not no sunlight. And the {:p} at the end might have suggested to some more intelligent people that it wasn't meant in all seriousness. But I guess that's too much to ask from the types of tommykins.
ok firstly, not recognising that wasn't serious isn't an indicator of a persons IQ. secondly, you basically used stereotypes throughout your post and they were without the [ :p ]

And as I said, see the difference between a thoughout answer (not me, but melanie) and a troll-ish answer that is just there to aggravate tensions and bag out other people. If you seriously think that without study your gonna get a brilliant bright future then your an idiot, frankly speaking (barring any unforeseen talents or luck...).
i dont think that he was saying that not studying is going to give someone a brilliant future.

anywho my response to that is, yes people can get away wiht great marks without studying. i dont know how they do it but somehow they pull it off. also there are very successful people around who have dropped out of high school/ were not a top student.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)