Will you be booted out of the house if you do not achieve a good UAI? (1 Viewer)

ccc123

HSC
Devouree said:
Reading through this topic, I really have to say LMAO, LOL and every1 knows what else fits here...

First of all, when you say one of the top schools I'd take it to mean top 10 ~ 20 schools. Sorry, but that's the truth. If you want to get over 90 UAI (and face facts, that's what most of us are aiming at, even if it is unrealistic :p) then 30th school just isn't good enough. And anyway, partially selective schools, pfft....
That right there, is probably the most ill-informed and factually incorrect statement I've read on this forum in a very long time. And that is saying a lot about the level of stupidity this reflects on your behalf. You can achieve a UAI of 100.00 in any school.

Devouree said:
Next, something I read in a newspaper. Sure, asians might spend their senior high school years without seeing much sunlight :p, but so what? After they get their 99+ UAI, their life is basically mapped out (rhetorically speaking). Their set for life, and no more money issues! (this sounds pretty shallow, but come on, you know it's true.)....

No, it's not shallow. It's provincial minded and again incorrect. Your UAI will mean nothing 3 months after you get it, and certainly won't mean anything once you get to uni. There is no direct correlation between a high UAI and comfortable salary either, and in case you haven't noticed, its the trademen who are rolling in money, not the law students.

Devouree said:
Finally, what this topic is actually about. Yeah, it's true. Seriously, if you get below 95 UAI then for asian parents it's actually better if you just went somewhere else and died. My parents wouldn't throw me out, but the disappointment both from them and from yourself would be VERY painful indeed. Asian parents literally cannot imagine their child NOT going to uni, it just doesn't work in their minds. So no, they won't throw me out.... but I kinda wish they would if i failed that badly.
You basically just confirmed all Asian sterotypes right there, and if what you are saying is true, then that's just sad. I'm truly sorry that your parents are so consumed by the need for your academic success, to the detriment of everything else.

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Devouree said:
Seriously, some of the posts here make sense. Yours doesn't. I believe I've done more fucking research than you'll ever have. Let's see now. You say that 99UAI doesn't mean anything in uni. Do you even have ANY bloody idea what your talking about? I want to get into com/law at unsw, and that requires 99.3 UAI. if I got 95 UAI that's basically a straight rejection. Now some1 'smart' may argue that who cares if you don't make it into that particular course, and that person would probably be right. But saying that 99 UAI means nothing is, plainly, stupid of you (i wonder if this forum has a strict non-cussing policy...)
So, ask any person in Uni what UAI they got, half of them probably forgot - the rest don't give a shit. Once you have your UAI, that's it - so what? If you get into the course, good for you - but I sure as hell bet you won't be bragging it in Uni because NOONE CARES.

You've done more resaerch? You seem to be talking about the HSC like its the be all end all of life, which begs the question - what kind of research did you do?

I have around 50-60 mates in Uni, 20-30 mates that have finished and NONE of them care about their UAI.

My teachers ALL say that within 1-2 weeks of you getting your UAI - noone cares.

You're a moron if you think the UAI determines your life completely.

Devouree said:
And what do you mean the kids who get no sunlight fail in uni and the workforce. They'll do better than you, that's for certain. They actually know how to study, and how the work hard at something without getting distracted (skills I personally lack :p). Now where did this negative stereotype of sunlight-deficient asian kids come from? Who the fuck do you know who doesn't get sunlight, or is 'locked up in a box'??? Cause I have no idea what you mean, please explain.
Yeah because employers nowadays just look at your Uni degree and they'll employ you straight off the bat aye? :rolleyes:

No, they employ you based on your personality - your extra cirricular activities. A person who ctays at home, does not intereact with others and generally aren't social will not succeed compared someone who goes out and is socially dynamic and is able to interact and get along with anyone and gains experience in the workforce.

Experience > a Uni degree, get that into your head.

Devouree said:
Well then, let's see your school get that top 30 ranking so-called 'top school' ranking. Cause what I said is the truth, blockhead. A normal public high school will actually DRAG DOWN YOUR MARKS!!! Because the assessments at these schools are automatically assumed to be marked easily (even if they're not), --- OK, I admit that's wrong, but reading other parts of this forum will explain it fully---. So your doing you HSC before me hey? Let's see your 90+ UAI then.
What? I'm aiming for 95+ solely for myself, I do not need to prove myself to you.
A normal public school ONLY drags down your mark if you're in the BOTTOM or only average at that schoo, if you're top ranks (say, top 5/10) your grade CANNOT and WILL NOT drag you down significantly, it is possible to get 90+ or hell 100 UAI at ANY school. Learn the system before you talk.

Funny that though, you're cussing quite alot - I wonder if you talk this much shit in real life, I've had experienced with alot of Sydney Boys kids, they all seem to talk but no action.

Last edited:

cs01001

HSC
+1 for tommykins & ccc123.

The statement of 99+ UAI = set for life is utter bull and its not true. Although a high UAI will no dount open more professional career paths, it does not necesarily 100% guarntee high salary & free of of 'money problems' as you might call it. As tommykins said, employers look for more than a piece of paper, hence we now have interviews/relevant work experience/character/work ethics etc to determine if one is suitable for the job.

With the above things being said, your argument of 'no-sunlight-kids' succeding in workforce because they can 'study' and resist distraction is hence flawed.

Your tunnel vision of the UAI being the 'be all and end all' factor in one's life confirms you're arrogant.

sannous1

HSC
my parents want me to do well in my HSC. but if i dnt get a good uai, they wont mind as long as i tried my best thats all that matters.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
cs01001 said:
With the above things being said, your argument of 'no-sunlight-kids' succeding in workforce because they can 'study' and resist distraction is hence flawed.
not only that but those kids that study 24-7 learn little social skills needed for the work place.

Zephyrio

HSC
Lol.

It's true. If you don't get 99+, you will be condemned to cleaning cellars and public toilets in Cabramatta.

.../sarcasm.

TurkStyle

HSC
im Turkish and the formula

hardwork=good UAI=cash cash money in the bank shawty tell me what you drank=respect from family and friends=happy life

is applied

so imagine the reverse if i got a lame UAI..........

ccc123

HSC
TurkStyle said:
im Turkish and the formula

hardwork=good UAI=cash cash money in the bank shawty tell me what you drank=respect from family and friends=happy life

is applied

so imagine the reverse if i got a lame UAI..........
Surely you don't believe that formula :p

ccc123

HSC
Devouree said:
Seriously, some of the posts here make sense. Yours doesn't. I believe I've done more fucking research than you'll ever have. Let's see now. You say that 99UAI doesn't mean anything in uni. Do you even have ANY bloody idea what your talking about? I want to get into com/law at unsw, and that requires 99.3 UAI. if I got 95 UAI that's basically a straight rejection. Now some1 'smart' may argue that who cares if you don't make it into that particular course, and that person would probably be right. But saying that 99 UAI means nothing is, plainly, stupid of you (i wonder if this forum has a strict non-cussing policy...).

And what do you mean the kids who get no sunlight fail in uni and the workforce. They'll do better than you, that's for certain. They actually know how to study, and how the work hard at something without getting distracted (skills I personally lack :p). Now where did this negative stereotype of sunlight-deficient asian kids come from? Who the fuck do you know who doesn't get sunlight, or is 'locked up in a box'??? Cause I have no idea what you mean, please explain.

Well then, let's see your school get that top 30 ranking so-called 'top school' ranking. Cause what I said is the truth, blockhead. A normal public high school will actually DRAG DOWN YOUR MARKS!!! Because the assessments at these schools are automatically assumed to be marked easily (even if they're not), --- OK, I admit that's wrong, but reading other parts of this forum will explain it fully---. So your doing you HSC before me hey? Let's see your 90+ UAI then.

So in the end, maybe you should cease your babbling and get on with that study which is all you'll ever be doing, cause you fail at life, idiot.

Check your facts on how the system actually functions before you made yourself look even more idiotic. *shakes head* It is beyond me how someone who attends Sydney Boys (and is therefore supposedly in the upper echelons of academic proficiency) can make such unfounded, ignorant and utterly ridiculous comments.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
TurkStyle said:
hardwork=good UAI
hard work =/= good UAI. good marks in the HSC are determined through a number of things and not just hard work e.g. memory ability, intelligence, prior knowledge in that subject, understanding - all of which has not got to do with how hardworking someone is.

good UAI=cash cash money in the bank shawty tell me what you drank
lol how can you make that correlation. there is no connection between the two. the purpose of a UAI is to be ranked againist people to get into the course that you want not to determine how much money you will end up in the bank. some of the richest people did not do well in school. if you want examples just ask.

cash cash money in the bank shawty tell me what you drank=respect from family and friends
im sure youre family and friends would respect you no matter how much you earn if they were any sort of good family and friends.

respect from family and friends=happy life
if the only reason why your family and friends respect you is because of how much money you earn i don't see how that should equal a happy life. also im sure that there a people with a whole heap of money that aren't happy. happiness doesn't just come from one source.

Saloo

HSC
My sister got 99.8 in the HSC so my parents are expecting me to do equally well - and they told me that they would be seriously disappointed if i didn't get a UAI above 99 coz they said that anything below 99 wasn't a high UAI mark.................

so im guessing being booted out of the house if i don't get what they think is a good UAI is looking very likely for me :angry:

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
UAI is not a mark but a rank.

EDIT: if all parents kicked out their children if they didn't get a UAI of 99+, there would be a whole lot of little kiddies roaming around the streets.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Without Wings said:
Guys i'm extremely close to closing this thread.

Either keep on topic and quit attacking each other or i'll take action.
I apologise.

On topic -

Parents don't really care what I get, but for their satisfaction and my own 95+.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)