• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Years 9 & 10 2012 Chit Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Most selective schools do not offer Standard English for a variety of reasons (VERY BAD ALIGNING MAKING IT ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO GET A BAND 6 and HIGHER QUALITY OF STUDENTS). I'd assume it'd be the same with Hurlstone given its selective nature, which would explain how you automatically get in.

I go to a selective school with the same "minimum English Advanced system" and you don't have to sign-up for it or anything, since that's the only level of English you can choose, so there's no choice involved. However, you can CHOOSE to do English Extension 1 if you enjoy English, for which there is a "sign-up and they check your English ability" and only then you're in.
Hurlstone offers Standard.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
I think so...

I doubt there's any cut-off mark lulz... Or is there?
OH and BTW, you can't afford to "fuq English" since apparently Tech does drop people to standard (Deswa said that 40 people do Standard in his grade)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
OH and BTW, you can't afford to "fuq English" since apparently Tech does drop people to standard (Deswa said that 40 people do Standard in his grade)
You can drop if you WANT.

I don't think they would force you to drop (or else it'll be like Malek Fahd).

theind1996

HSC
N/A
You can drop if you WANT.

I don't think they would force you to drop (or else it'll be like Malek Fahd).
I seriously doubt that 40 people in Tech are doing Standard because they want. I'm sure that at least 90% of their grade is fully aware of scaling and aligning, which is probably why so many do MX2.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I seriously doubt that 40 people in Tech are doing Standard because they want. I'm sure that at least 90% of their grade is fully aware of scaling and aligning, which is probably why so many do MX2.
Mate, if you were constantly getting D percentages in Advanced English, you'd feel sad and move down to standard.

A D at Tech in English is like a C or B in most schools.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
SC results and Year 10 Yearlies?

Well now, they can only use your internal results since SC exams have been abolished.
Pretty sthpid imo as year 10 english is hardly an adequete indicator of how u will do in ext english

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Mate, if you were constantly getting D percentages in Advanced English, you'd feel sad and move down to standard.

A D at Tech in English is like a C or B in most schools.
Yea, but a D %-tage at Tech in Advanced would still be an Early Band 5, which is still heaps hard to get in Standard. My point is that MOST students at Tech, (as with any selective school) FULLY UNDERSTAND ALIGNING and would care about their marks and the effect of Standard on their ATAR rather than their feeling of being "sad".

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Yea, but a D %-tage at Tech in Advanced would still be an Early Band 5, which is still heaps hard to get in Standard. My point is that MOST students at Tech, (as with any selective school) FULLY UNDERSTAND ALIGNING and would care about their marks and the effect of Standard on their ATAR rather than their feeling of being "sad".
Some students don't care. Every school will have those type of students who don't give a shiz.

Tech marks ruthlessly for English which is my worst nightmare. (I've never gotten a D in anything so I'm scared)

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Some students don't care. Every school will have those type of students who don't give a shiz.

Tech marks ruthlessly for English which is my worst nightmare. (I've never gotten a D in anything so I'm scared)
Oh well, I guess so. I'm just surprised since 40 is a massive amount and Girra has ZERO doing Standard, even by the end of Yr 12.

But would you, if you were getting a D drop down to Standard by choice?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh well, I guess so. I'm just surprised since 40 is a massive amount and Girra has ZERO doing Standard, even by the end of Yr 12.

But would you, if you were getting a D drop down to Standard by choice?
No. I'll never drop down to Standard.

It's because I actually care.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
None. Tech doesn't offer Standard in Year 11.
Shit. 40 is a huge amount dropping. Are there that many in your grade who "don't give a shiz"?

BTW Years 9 and 10, you've probably heard this again and again, but never choose to do standard at the start of year 11 if you have a choice.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Shit. 40 is a huge amount dropping. Are there that many in your grade who "don't give a shiz"?

BTW Years 9 and 10, you've probably heard this again and again, but never choose to do standard at the start of year 11 if you have a choice.
Not too sure, I'm new so yeah. I don't know much.

I reckon there might be a few from my class dropping down. We have the worst teacher in the English faculty.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Not too sure, I'm new so yeah. I don't know much.

I reckon there might be a few from my class dropping down. We have the worst teacher in the English faculty.
Bad luck, you're going to go for 4U Maths right? To complement your 5 unit pimpology?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)