• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Years 9 & 10 2012 Chit Chat Thread (2 Viewers)

kat-

msftsrep
HSC
Is anyone here choosing/chose Chinese who is doing heritage? I'm considering doing it but people say it's extremely hard and I'll get thrashed by all the expert background speakers.

Aysce

HSC
^ m8 I got 83 in SC Engrish.

See my pain, sufferings and fatal flaw now?
Ah I remember the good old days. I think I got around 87-89 for SC english surprisingly. A word of advice to you youngings:

Do not do english standard, it is potentially detrimental to your ATAR.

If worst to worst comes and you are doing it, do not worry, go hard out and try the very best you can.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Yeah unless you are particularly weak in english I would choose advanced

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah unless you are particularly weak in english I would choose advanced
+1 I got 83 in sc English and I'm doing eng ext. Therefore, choose at least adv if u r somewhat capable of eng.

Aysce

HSC
+1 I got 83 in sc English and I'm doing eng ext. Therefore, choose at least adv if u r somewhat capable of eng.
I don't know why I was rejected then... By the way, you're home early?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with what you said but I want to give it a chance, if it is much better in years 11 and 12, I might choose it :)
Have a look through the Preliminary syllabus and see if it fancies you.

If you have got any specific questions, feel free to ask.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
I don't know why I was rejected then... By the way, you're home early?
Wait what.....

You were rejected from eng adv? How does that work?

If it was based on ur sc results thats ridiculous as sc is hardly a measure of ur aptitude in hsc english tbh

Aysce

HSC
Wait what.....

You were rejected from eng adv? How does that work?

If it was based on ur sc results thats ridiculous as sc is hardly a measure of ur aptitude in hsc english tbh
Dumb school... I scored around 84-89 iirc. I remember it being relatively high band 5. Wowzers

Aysce

HSC
Year 11 and 12 is a whole new game, so just give it a go!

deswa1

HSC
How good does one have to be at Chem & Bio (preferably) to do them in Yr 11 & 12?
At the start of Year 11, I couldn't properly tell you the difference between an ionic bond and a covalent bond. In year 11, I came 4th in chem and now I'm coming first in Year 12. This is at a selective school. Moral of the story, they teach you everything you need for chem in year 11. Having said that, if you try hard in year 10 and still find it hard, maybe you'll find prelim chem hard (I still recommend giving it a shot) - I didn't pay any attention at all which is why I could make a rapid improvement.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
At the start of Year 11, I couldn't properly tell you the difference between an ionic bond and a covalent bond. In year 11, I came 4th in chem and now I'm coming first in Year 12. This is at a selective school. Moral of the story, they teach you everything you need for chem in year 11. Having said that, if you try hard in year 10 and still find it hard, maybe you'll find prelim chem hard (I still recommend giving it a shot) - I didn't pay any attention at all which is why I could make a rapid improvement.
I think it is important to listen to what this person is saying.

kev-kun

HSC
You sound just like my brother. He's doing coastal management as well... I used to hate Yr 10 Geo as well (I think its a common theme statewide). Did you like junior geo though?
Haha is that so? Yeah I did like junior geo, even year 9 geo was good, just hate this year's... Hopefully Australian links is better than issues ~_~

BTW in terms of Standard and Advanced English, if your somewhat decent in English should you go Advanced? Because our school is complaining that most people drop advanced to standard...

kev-

HSC
Don't know why this thread suddenly stopped...
but it is true that you only need to signup for English Advanced in Hurlstone Ag and you're in? I find that hard to believe.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
but it is true that you only need to signup for English Advanced in Hurlstone Ag and you're in? I find that hard to believe.
Most selective schools do not offer Standard English for a variety of reasons (VERY BAD ALIGNING MAKING IT ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO GET A BAND 6 and HIGHER QUALITY OF STUDENTS). I'd assume it'd be the same with Hurlstone given its selective nature, which would explain how you automatically get in.

I go to a selective school with the same "minimum English Advanced system" and you don't have to sign-up for it or anything, since that's the only level of English you can choose, so there's no choice involved. However, you can CHOOSE to do English Extension 1 if you enjoy English, for which there is a "sign-up and they check your English ability" and only then you're in.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I think so...

I doubt there's any cut-off mark lulz... Or is there?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)