• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Years 9 & 10 2012 Chit Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Bad luck, you're going to go for 4U Maths right? To complement your 5 unit pimpology?
Obviously.

I'm hoping I'll do 4 unit maffs.

But yeah, I have the worst luck when it comes to English at times but ahh well.

deswa1

HSC
Yea, but a D %-tage at Tech in Advanced would still be an Early Band 5, which is still heaps hard to get in Standard. My point is that MOST students at Tech, (as with any selective school) FULLY UNDERSTAND ALIGNING and would care about their marks and the effect of Standard on their ATAR rather than their feeling of being "sad".
Actually you have no idea. Most people doing standard think that if they write the same thing in standard or advanced, they'll end up with the same mark, just with standard you avoid Shakespeare. Very few people actually understand how the HSC works- really no one at a selective school should do standard.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Actually you have no idea. Most people doing standard think that if they write the same thing in standard or advanced, they'll end up with the same mark, just with standard you avoid Shakespeare. Very few people actually understand how the HSC works- really no one at a selective school should do standard.
That's probably true, I just found it extremely hard to believe at first when Rivalry said that people drop down by choice. I think every school's students should be educated on the scaling and aligning process in year 10 before subject selection, but then again, especially with selectives, you'd just find a another school transforming into James Ruse and choosing your subjects (I'm not saying it's wrong for you, since you genuinely like them and are doing well in them), but this wouldn't be the case for everyone.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
That's probably true, I just found it extremely hard to believe at first when Rivalry said that people drop down by choice. I think every school's students should be educated on the scaling and aligning process in year 10 before subject selection, but then again, especially with selectives, you'd just find a another school transforming into James Ruse and choosing your subjects (I'm not saying it's wrong for you, since you genuinely like them and are doing well in them), but this wouldn't be the case for everyone.
Year 10 Subject Selection Information Night Summarised:

At my old school: Someone who attended the night (I didn't attend) told me that ranks didn't matter anymore (i fuckin lol'd). Either they misinterpreted the information or the person speaking was misleading.
Also, apparently, the speaker said that 'General mathematics can be very hard' and the cliche stuff you would hear from such a session.

Guys, if you need information for Year 10 subject selections, scaling and aligning, please check out Dux College's website for info or ask your questions on this website.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Year 10 Subject Selection Information Night Summarised:

At my old school: Someone who attended the night (I didn't attend) told me that ranks didn't matter anymore (i fuckin lol'd). Either they misinterpreted the information or the person speaking was misleading.
Also, apparently, the speaker said that 'General mathematics can be very hard' and the cliche stuff you would hear from such a session.

Guys, if you need information for Year 10 subject selections, scaling and aligning, please check out Dux College's website for info or ask your questions on this website.
Yea, but at my old school, I gave almost half the grade a LUNCHTIME SESH on scaling and aligning that within a week (note: I didn't encourage people to choose certain subjects, I just made them aware).

Needless to say, we ended up having (non-selective school BTW) 94 people doing Phys/180 in the grade, 79 doing Chem, 67 doing Eco and 107 people choosing Extension Maths and 55 people choosing Extension English...

About 47 of the maths people got rejected, and about 5 doing Phys, 12 doing Chem, 20 doing Eco, and 35 doing English Extension 1 LOL.

And I left the school so they couldn't talk to me for their rejections or anything.

kev-

HSC
Thanks guys, I was really stressing about not getting into Advanced English... I'm finally seeing the benefits of moving to Hurlstone Ag :)

kat-

msftsrep
HSC
Yay this thread's back in use :D
Lul it's like my school purposely puts ALL the major tests for half-yearly reports in the 2nd and 3rd week and only tells us now about them.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Yay this thread's back in use :D
Lul it's like my school purposely puts ALL the major tests for half-yearly reports in the 2nd and 3rd week and only tells us now about them.
Well most are week 3-5 anyway, shouldn't be that surprising.

HSC
N/A
a year 9 - 10 thread? lol... you guys are waaay too keen if you ask me, save the discussions for yr 11 and 12, enjoy school life now while you can ! :D

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
Yea, but at my old school, I gave almost half the grade a LUNCHTIME SESH on scaling and aligning that within a week (note: I didn't encourage people to choose certain subjects, I just made them aware).

Needless to say, we ended up having (non-selective school BTW) 94 people doing Phys/180 in the grade, 79 doing Chem, 67 doing Eco and 107 people choosing Extension Maths and 55 people choosing Extension English...

About 47 of the maths people got rejected, and about 5 doing Phys, 12 doing Chem, 20 doing Eco, and 35 doing English Extension 1 LOL.

And I left the school so they couldn't talk to me for their rejections or anything.
You are too kind! :)

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
Really? Why bad? I'd have to agree that year 10 was the best year (for me) :)
I thought that without the school certificate, we could relax a bit but it is completely the opposite. They continue to emphasise the fact that our grades for year 10 will go on the ROSA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)