• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

yr 11 help pls idk what im doing (1 Viewer)

should i drop maths ext. or chem

• Total voters

greersy_01

HSC
hi im in yr 11 doing bio, chem, maths ext, maths adv, english adv, sor 1 and geography (exactly 12 units). my current marks for these subjects are:
  • biology: 73% (rank 43/98)
  • chemistry: 73% (54/72)
  • maths ext: 60% (59/88)
  • math adv: 68% (77/144)
  • english adv: 67% (34/63)
  • sor 1: 80% (9/12)
  • geography: 86% (3/19)
my marks are okay ish but my ranks are really quite horrible. i have missed a lot of school (attendance is currently 70ish%) and i feel like i am so far behind i will never catch up. everytime i step into chem class i am so lost and feel so stupid and for ext. i never really pay attention and havent done any work this whole term so i am unsure how i am going but it cant be good. for year 12 ideally id drop both chem and ext but obviously i cant do that so which do u think i should keep. i have considered dropping to standard maths but am unsure as i dont want it to affect my ATAR even though i know i would do quite well, i feel stupid going from ext. to std. also i dont plan on doing any courses that require maths ext. in a bit of a pickle whats ur opinions/experince.

sorry this is so messy just wanted to get everything out :))

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
From this information, your position in Mathematics Extension 1 appears slightly better than your position in Chemistry, despite the lower mark. Of course, whether this is indeed the case may depend on other factors, such as the performance of other students in your cohort for each subject. In year 12, you can also use the number of band 6's achieved in Chemistry and the number of band E4's achieved in Mathematics Extension 1 as an indication of the potential of your cohort for each subject. If you were to decide solely based on this, then Chemistry would be the subject to drop.

There are, however, other elements that you may wish to consider, which will allow you to make a more informed decision. One of these is your total number of units. The option of dropping Chemistry would leave you with 10 units worth of subjects, meaning that you would not have any backup units in the event of unexpected unfavourable performance in a particular subject. Of course, this is simply a possibility, and the chances of this occurring would be low especially if you are highly committed to your studies. Numerous students achieve outstanding results with 10 units, not to mention the additional study time that would be gained from dropping a subject. Therefore, you should consider whether you would be comfortable with having no backup units.

On the other hand, dropping Mathematics Extension 1, whether to Mathematics Advanced or Mathematics Standard also seems appropriate, especially given that Mathematics Extension 1 is not treated as assumed knowledge for the degrees that you are interested in. This would also leave you with 1 backup unit, which can halve the effect of unfavourable performance in a 2-unit subject, or completely negate the effect of unfavourable performance in a 1-unit subject (which in your case is Studies of Religion I). With that being said, if you decide to drop all the way to Mathematics Standard, you should ensure that the degrees that you are interested in do not treat Mathematics Advanced as assumed knowledge. Otherwise, keeping Mathematics Advanced would be more reasonable.

I hope this helps! 😄

HSC
hi im in yr 11 doing bio, chem, maths ext, maths adv, english adv, sor 1 and geography (exactly 12 units). my current marks for these subjects are:
  • biology: 73% (rank 43/98)
  • chemistry: 73% (54/72)
  • maths ext: 60% (59/88)
  • math adv: 68% (77/144)
  • english adv: 67% (34/63)
  • sor 1: 80% (9/12)
  • geography: 86% (3/19)
my marks are okay ish but my ranks are really quite horrible. i have missed a lot of school (attendance is currently 70ish%) and i feel like i am so far behind i will never catch up. everytime i step into chem class i am so lost and feel so stupid and for ext. i never really pay attention and havent done any work this whole term so i am unsure how i am going but it cant be good. for year 12 ideally id drop both chem and ext but obviously i cant do that so which do u think i should keep. i have considered dropping to standard maths but am unsure as i dont want it to affect my ATAR even though i know i would do quite well, i feel stupid going from ext. to std. also i dont plan on doing any courses that require maths ext. in a bit of a pickle whats ur opinions/experince.

sorry this is so messy just wanted to get everything out :))
What course(s) are you planning on doing at uni? I understand if you are unsure considering you are at year 11 but do you have a list of possible degrees you want to go to? Some courses have prerequisite or assumed knowledge for certain degrees. I say this now cause I think you can catch up to whatever subject you like considering you are at year 11

greersy_01

HSC
What course(s) are you planning on doing at uni? I understand if you are unsure considering you are at year 11 but do you have a list of possible degrees you want to go to? Some courses have prerequisite or assumed knowledge for certain degrees. I say this now cause I think you can catch up to whatever subject you like considering you are at year 11
i dont really have a clue. im interested in science (more environmental science than anything else) which most likely needs maths adv, as well as perhaps nursing??? or social work or teaching im not 100% on anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)