Accounting Cadetships 2009 (1 Viewer)

pearling

HSC
N/A
As mentioned earlier by lyounamu, the 30k annual salary is not really attractive for 4 days of work per week, so am wondering how much cadets earn upon graduation when completing CA and when they've completed CA. Is it actually true that cadets generally can get senior positions earlier than non-cadets? I know these are kind of vague questions, but would really like some input since these arent questions you could ask in interviews hehe..

esty1

HSC
What's the hours and pay for other Big 4 & mid-tier firms?

It's 32K for PWC (before tax) and about 7-8 hours a day lol.

Not very attractive in terms of pay but it certainly is worthwhile in terms of work experience I guess...
I have a cadetship at a WHK accounting firm (pretty sure its the 5th largest firm in Aus).
The package involves me doing full time study (no work) for the first semester of univeristy and full time work (part time 2 units study) for the second semester. Over the year WHK pays me a total of $17k which increases as I get older (im 18 years old). $17k is pretty frigin good for half a year in the office. It's more than enough to pay my college fees and buy necessities such as the $600 nixon watch I just ordered (image makes an accountant gents) :p

I dont have the 'big 4 cadetship experience' to compare it to but working in a mid-tier firm has been a very enjoyable, rewarding and exciting experience. The people are all SUPER nice, the work is very team oriented, there are another four cadets in my firm which I can panic about assignments with and the half year work package lets me finish my degree faster than other cadetships (still allowing me to tell my future employer that I have had '4 years cadetship experience'. When I think about it, I probably will stay with WHK after I finish my degree (atleast while I get my CA/CPA) as they have a TONNE of firms scattered around Australia in which I can move around to if I want and WHK overall has a really great office lifestyle.

But yeah, the pay of a cadet isn't HOLY SHIT AWESOME but if you want a serious advantage after you graduate and love suiting up to look better than your ex-high school mates when you meet up for lunch then a cadetship is for you!

Last edited:
HSC

Not very attractive in terms of pay but it certainly is worthwhile in terms of work experience I guess...
lol let me tell u now that u will DEFINITELY NOT be working 7 hours @ pwc...8 hours when ure lucky...try around 10

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
that really depends on division and season. for divisions like audit this is only true in busy season.

When I think about it, I probably will stay with WHK after I finish my degree (atleast while I get my CA/CPA)
if the firm is going to pay for your CA program you'd be an idiot to leave before that. module's cost thousands of dollars each.

Last edited:

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC

I think it's pretty unrealistic to be expecting anything above ~30k for a cadetship.

After all, cadets come in with no experience and at the lowest level in the profession with the intention to learn whilst working.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
I think it's pretty unrealistic to be expecting anything above ~30k for a cadetship.

After all, cadets come in with no experience and at the lowest level in the profession with the intention to learn whilst working.
exactly. people make the mistake of thinking it isn't really that good a salary but the fact of the matter is that we're lucky to be getting anything. no qualification. no accounting ability. nothing. i'm stoked to be getting so much while learning on the job.

cassieagill

HSC
exactly. people make the mistake of thinking it isn't really that good a salary but the fact of the matter is that we're lucky to be getting anything. no qualification. no accounting ability. nothing. i'm stoked to be getting so much while learning on the job.
if you work in retail managing sometimes you only get around 25000 before tax, so i thought it was a really good salary....and compared to apprenticeships (which is practically what we are doing but not a trade) it is a EXTREMELY generous wage

lsdpoon1337

HSC
yeah, the salaries cadetships are pretty generous. It surprises me how people still complain given that like someone else said. you have zero skills to start off with. That being said, one would be pretty loaded if they managed to get the 10K scholarship + the cadetship. That's just godly.

Come on, working in retail or getting an apprenticeship can't be serious alternatives to getting offerred a cadetship. Totally different leagues.

On a side note, the parker pen I got was pretty damn chunky.

cassieagill

HSC
yeah, the salaries cadetships are pretty generous. It surprises me how people still complain given that like someone else said. you have zero skills to start off with. That being said, one would be pretty loaded if they managed to get the 10K scholarship + the cadetship. That's just godly.

Come on, working in retail or getting an apprenticeship can't be serious alternatives to getting offerred a cadetship. Totally different leagues.

On a side note, the parker pen I got was pretty damn chunky.
just saying that its a better salary than other sectors, where other people our age are working, with little or no experience, even managing retail they should have about 3 years experience in their fields and still get lower pay

...maybe i don't express myself properly...i know what i am trying to say

Last edited:

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Pesky kids these days

32k for 4 days is GOOD. Pre GFC trainees were getting 27-28k for 4.5 days work (only a semester or two ago did 1/day off a week become standard, before that it was 4 hours)

You can earn more working retail, childcare, whatever for sure. Thing is in the long run the big4 is at least a 15% pay increase per annum averaged out for the rest of your life.. There's not many fields that do that for you.

Also, if you're dandy and your big4 firm is able to you can potentially get a casual contract on top of your study grant when you go back to uni. You'll see some big $$$ then.

Also the pay is only as good as what you do with it. $2k+ cash in your bank /month ... Some people blow it on electronics, jewelry and alcohol, others trade and accumulate a hefty amount over their 2 years.

Your textbooks are tax deductible and because you'll be working so much you won't even need to spend much money on casual clothes.

Cadet life ftw.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
Pesky kids these days

32k for 4 days is GOOD. Pre GFC trainees were getting 27-28k for 4.5 days work (only a semester or two ago did 1/day off a week become standard, before that it was 4 hours)

You can earn more working retail, childcare, whatever for sure. Thing is in the long run the big4 is at least a 15% pay increase per annum averaged out for the rest of your life.. There's not many fields that do that for you.

Also, if you're dandy and your big4 firm is able to you can potentially get a casual contract on top of your study grant when you go back to uni. You'll see some big $$$ then.

Also the pay is only as good as what you do with it. $2k+ cash in your bank /month ... Some people blow it on electronics, jewelry and alcohol, others trade and accumulate a hefty amount over their 2 years.

Your textbooks are tax deductible and because you'll be working so much you won't even need to spend much money on casual clothes.

Cadet life ftw.
mine are just paid for completely.. i thought most firms did that :confused:

haha i'm pretty sure i will still actually exist outside of work. i might even wear clothes apart from work clothes too, but whatever floats one's boat; as they say..

ayehann

Procrastinator
HSC
mine are just paid for completely.. i thought most firms did that :confused:

haha i'm pretty sure i will still actually exist outside of work. i might even wear clothes apart from work clothes too, but whatever floats one's boat; as they say..
yeh my contract says 550 per annum for textbooks... i know thats not enough but it also says Provide us with receipets for any other uni related costs and we'll reimburse... so meh...

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Yes your textbooks are covered with the allowance... But your allowance is just assessable income, no different to them just giving you a slightly larger salary. It's taxed in the same way, hence keep your receipts/CC statement and charge them back.

550 is KPMG right? :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)