are you dropping (1 Viewer)

Answer

• Total voters

blackglitter

HSC
marcquelle said:
heres a good brainteaser

"are positive sterotypes still offence?" i believe it is then up to the individual
That's a hard one, it really will end up on the individual whether they choose to be offended or not. Although, all stereotypes in general can have a negative impact and put unrealistic pressures on certain individuals. Even though we may choose not to believe it, we all do stereotype automatically in many cases - it's been hardwired into our brains in a way, simply by the society we live in or the way we were brought up.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
blackglitter said:
That's a hard one, it really will end up on the individual whether they choose to be offended or not. Although, all stereotypes in general can have a negative impact and put unrealistic pressures on certain individuals. Even though we may choose not to believe it, we all do stereotype automatically in many cases - it's been hardwired into our brains in a way, simply by the society we live in or the way we were brought up.
agreed it's such an interesting question to ask isn't it you will many different responses.

blackglitter

HSC
marcquelle said:
agreed it's such an interesting question to ask isn't it you will many different responses.
Yeah, it is a hard one - everyone's going to have a different opinion on it. There's really no right or wrong answer. And you could ask, "Is there such a thing as a positive stereotype?"

louise08

HSC
I may be dropping extension english. But I think I'll try and stick with it, because I've been told its my only subject that is scaled well!

+ I'll be dropping either society and culture or business.

Apart from that, no other changes

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
blackglitter said:
Yeah, it is a hard one - everyone's going to have a different opinion on it. There's really no right or wrong answer. And you could ask, "Is there such a thing as a positive stereotype?"
exactly isn't this kind of conversation fun, where something could exist but in such a paradoxial manner.

blackglitter

HSC
marcquelle said:
exactly isn't this kind of conversation fun, where something could exist but in such a paradoxial manner.
Yes, very philosophical lol. Example of a positive stereotype: All asian kids are extremely smart
Negative consequence: One of my friends is asian and she doesn't get good marks at all, so she's labelled as the dumb asian chick

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
lol

heres another:
"all blondes are bimbos" my close friend is blonde and just graduated first in her class in law/commerce.

blackglitter

HSC
marcquelle said:
lol

heres another:
"all blondes are bimbos" my close friend is blonde and just graduated first in her class in law/commerce.
Lol, kind of like in Legally blonde yeah? I go to a selective school and there are a LOT of blonde girls in my grade - the majority are really smart too.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
blackglitter said:
Lol, kind of like in Legally blonde yeah? I go to a selective school and there are a LOT of blonde girls in my grade - the majority are really smart too.
exactly, so are positive sterotypes a compliment or do they imply a stigma to which people to become astranged too?

blackglitter

HSC
marcquelle said:
exactly, so are positive sterotypes a compliment or do they imply a stigma to which people to become astranged too?
While they can seem like compliments, I think more often than not, they're stigmas.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
blackglitter said:
While they can seem like compliments, I think more often than not, they're stigmas.
i concur, and thats why teenagers are more likely to rebel, as for this idea forms a lot of the philosophy of teen age years. Also highly influenced by TV eg the OC, 91210 etc or whatever they are called , contain stereotypical characters and plots

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
I've already dropped Studies of Religion II and Extension English.
I'm considering dropping Software Design and Development next year... but I probably won't.
Also hopefully I'll do good in 2U and 3U Maths this year, so i don't have to re-do it, so that will count as 'dropping 3 units" but I might pick up Extension II Maths.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
marcquelle said:
i concur, and thats why teenagers are more likely to rebel, as for this idea forms a lot of the philosophy of teen age years. Also highly influenced by TV eg the OC, 91210 etc or whatever they are called , contain stereotypical characters and plots
Don't you think you're a bit off-topic?
Another positive stereotype for you to discuss is black people have big *insert (I have no idea).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)