ATAR Raw Mark/Cut-off Band Database! (1 Viewer)

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
brettymaccc has been kind to share an ATAR raw mark database that he/she compiled with the community. The figures should be taken with a grain of salt as alignment differs from year to year because of factors like difficulty of exam, caliber of cohort and etc.

Explanation (brettymacc): A raw mark in the final HSC exam undergoes a major amount of changing before it reaches a final aligned exam mark. Firstly, each subject’s marks are changed according to any difficulties in option questions or prescribed texts. For example, in Advanced English Module B, Hamlet may align better than Speeches (ie. a 13/20 in Hamlet may be equal to a 16/20 in Speeches). These marks become the TWM (Total Weighted Mark) which factors in the respective difficulties of the actual question answered by each student. The determined difficulties of each option or various prescribed text is done so by the Board of Studies. This mark is then aligned based on the difficulty of the exam (which is based on how the entire state performed on the exam) as subjects that receive a smaller portion of total marks statewide are determined to be harder and so candidates are rewarded to a larger extent in the final exam. This becomes the aligned exam mark which, when averaged with the Assessment Mark, gives the specific subject’s overall HSC Mark.

ESTIMATED B6/E4 CUTOFFS
PLEASE NOTE: The following are estimates deduced from the marks above and are approximations. The actual cutoffs vary from year to year as the examination varies in difficulty. Therefore, do not assume that upon achieving the marks below will get you the corresponding band. Also, many subjects such as English vary according to the prescribed texts studied (as each text aligns differently in the HSC)

SUBJECT: RAW MARK APPROXIMATION
English (Advanced) 77/100
Chemistry 72/100
Physics 76/100
Mathematics 94/120
Mathematics Extension 1 57/84
Mathematics Extension 2 76/120
Biology 79/100
Ancient History 83/100
English Extension 1 39/50
Legal Studies 81/100
Business Studies 80/100

Thanks to: Riproot, NewiJapper, paul5666, blackratpoo, ajdlinux, unholybuddha, Shadowdude, suling, jetblack2007, Spik3balloon, mols01, bayan92, Thecorey0, mecramarathon and x jiim for the achieving, posting and compiling of raw marks.

To submit any raw marks to add to the database:
PM: brettymaccc http://community.boredofstudies.org/member.php?u=1611013201
EMAIL: deletemyname123@live.com.au

RawMark v1.01 UPDATED attached below (LOL its advisable to download the latest one because 1.01 > 1.0) =]

Attachments

Last edited:

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Fuck this makes me so happy.

It reassures that I am doing fairly well. (Of course i understand that it varies greatly, but seeing what you have done makes you feel better)

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks guys! I hope i can get band 6 for eco, business and ancient hopefully! good luck to all on wednesday and thursday.

brettymaccc

HSC
Ultimate Raw Mark Database v2.0 + Explanation Guide!

Hello all,

If you're not aware, a few months ago I compiled all the raw marks I could find into tables which should the relationship between raw mark and aligned exam mark for a range of subjects.

With the 2011 HSC behind us, that brings a new set of results and unfortunately, a new (and more confusing) way of giving them to us.

Consequently, while a lot of the data I received was valid and great, some of it was incomplete and thus invalid.

Also, to help 2011 and future raw mark applicants understand their data, I wrote a short guide on what all the marks mean and how they are obtained.

If you haven't already, I strongly encourage you to apply for your raw marks. You can find out how thanks to Rafy's thread here.

If you have any questions or contributions, don't hesitate to PM me or reply to this thread.

Cheers.

Attachments

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Re: Ultimate Raw Mark Database v2.0 + Explanation Guide!

I read your notes at the end of the database and would like to correct one thing - aligning it NOT determined by the difficulty of the subject (determined by the state’s overall performance in it) to give the Examination Mark that appears on your HSC.

It is done by judging the minimum mark a student needs to get to be at the band cut-off by looking at the difficulty of the individual questions (or a pathway not necessarily every question), the marking criteria and the performance descriptor bands. Theoretically if every student in the state meets the standard for a Band 6 they will get a Band 6.

brettymaccc

HSC

Oh, I'd been told by a teacher it was based on how everyone went - thanks heaps for clarifying. :)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

Oh, I'd been told by a teacher it was based on how everyone went - thanks heaps for clarifying. :)
Your teacher is confusing aligning with scaling.

Aligning is related the raw marks to the performance descriptor bands and is what is reported to students as the HSC exam marks.

Scaling is comparing how all the students compare to each other in all the subjects and is what UAC does to the marks to determing the ATARs.

smartalec

HSC

you forgot to include my 2 unit results in there? it would help those aiming for a band 6.

brettymaccc

HSC

As I said in the OP, a lot of the data I received (including yours) was incomplete.

I need the "Raw Examination Mark" that the BoS provides to you, located down the bottom left hand corner of your report. You may notice it is different to the summation of your raw marks, read the explanation I posted for more information.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Mate, Extension Two 2011:
54/120 --> 54/120 --> 78
Add it broseph.
Good to see all my other raw marks were added. :)

Dylanamali

HSC

excellent data base, definite props goes to bretty.

viraj30

HSC
according to v1.01 if i get 55 as my raw mark out of 100 thats a band 5??? no there is something wrong with my understanding...sounds too good to be true...someone clear it out for me please!!

edit- im talking about chem

mike12345678

HSC
but dont forget guys that this is under exam conditions doing HSC exams and the marking criteria of the HSC. you cant really compare then to school marks or even school exams

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)