Do I need 4 unit maths to get an ATAR above 99? (1 Viewer)

wjdyeon

HSC
Hello! So I'm currently in a state of dilemma because I'm contemplating whether I should take 4 unit maths (extension 2 mathematics) next term. So the subjects I'm currently undertaking are: English Advanced, Physics, Chemistry, Extension Maths and SOR. The thing is, my final advanced maths exam mark was really good whereas I my extension mark wasn't as good as my advanced. Although extension 2 maths is something that I've always wanted to do, after talking to some people, it has come to my attention that instead of doing extension 2 maths, it might be more beneficial to rather spend more time bringing up the marks for my other subjects (especially with my good advanced mark, my teacher advised me to do this). However, at the same time, I really want to get into UNSW medicine which obviously requires a really high ATAR. Since I'm aiming for an ATAR 99 or even over, I've heard that I need to do an extension 2 subject (maths or english) to really hit that high ranking. Even upon research of people who previously got an ATAR over 99, they've all done extension 2 maths. At this stage, I'm just generally curious whether I can get an ATAR over 99 with my current subjects or if I should take extension 2 maths. And also, which would be more beneficial to undertake.

I understand that eventually whether I get a high ATAR is dependent on my effort, but apparently scaling plays a huge factor in your ATAR. Since these information are all just from my teachers, friends and family who've recently done the HSC, they may be subjective. If there are any errors or misunderstandings I have about subjects, scaling, ATAR, etc please let me know too!

idkkdi

HSC
Hello! So I'm currently in a state of dilemma because I'm contemplating whether I should take 4 unit maths (extension 2 mathematics) next term. So the subjects I'm currently undertaking are: English Advanced, Physics, Chemistry, Extension Maths and SOR. The thing is, my final advanced maths exam mark was really good whereas I my extension mark wasn't as good as my advanced. Although extension 2 maths is something that I've always wanted to do, after talking to some people, it has come to my attention that instead of doing extension 2 maths, it might be more beneficial to rather spend more time bringing up the marks for my other subjects (especially with my good advanced mark, my teacher advised me to do this). However, at the same time, I really want to get into UNSW medicine which obviously requires a really high ATAR. Since I'm aiming for an ATAR 99 or even over, I've heard that I need to do an extension 2 subject (maths or english) to really hit that high ranking. Even upon research of people who previously got an ATAR over 99, they've all done extension 2 maths. At this stage, I'm just generally curious whether I can get an ATAR over 99 with my current subjects or if I should take extension 2 maths. And also, which would be more beneficial to undertake.

I understand that eventually whether I get a high ATAR is dependent on my effort, but apparently scaling plays a huge factor in your ATAR. Since these information are all just from my teachers, friends and family who've recently done the HSC, they may be subjective. If there are any errors or misunderstandings I have about subjects, scaling, ATAR, etc please let me know too!
You don't have to take extension 2 maths.
The reason why it may seem like there is a correlation is because people who get over 99 ATAR tend to enjoy doing harder subjects.
If you are taking SOR II, that scales decently I believe, but SOR I scales pretty badly. If on SOR I, pick up 4u.

Xanthi

HSC
Over 99 you should be able to get with SOR.

If you need high 99s since med might be better to do math extension 2, seeing that your most other subjects are science/maths. Most people getting higher 99s on humanities do all or most humanities.

c8

HSC
With bonus points UNSW actually required about 99.2 last year so you'd want to be aiming as high as possible

And no you don't need extension 2 to get 99, many people get 99+ without even doing maths at all. It's true that 4u scales the best but to be honest if you're not good at it the scaling is going to do nothing for you. Choose the subjects you like and are good at over scaling

Good luck!

idkkdi

HSC
With bonus points UNSW actually required about 99.2 last year so you'd want to be aiming as high as possible

And no you don't need extension 2 to get 99, many people get 99+ without even doing maths at all. It's true that 4u scales the best but to be honest if you're not good at it the scaling is going to do nothing for you. Choose the subjects you like and are good at over scaling

Good luck!
bonus points for med are basically non-existent.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Nope you don't need to do 4 unit maths. I did 2 unit math and 3 unit maths and got 99.70. Of course if you are capable then go for 4 unit as it will be good for your ATAR if you are able to do well in it. The statement about focusing on other subjects is an important point to consider as well and that's the reason I chose not to do 4 unit maths, as it allowed me more time to study for things like English adv, chem and physics because I didn't spend much time on maths.

I also had a friend who only did 2 unit maths, English adv, economics, legal studies and SOR I and he got a 99.05.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
No, you don't have to do 4 unit mathematics to get an ATAR over 99.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)