• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (4 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

stalk_if_u_dare

cheese hater
HSC
katie_tully said:
And who is Jesus? Ah, the son of God. So Christians are willing to dismiss the word of God, for the word of Jesus. Christianity isn't based purely on the teachings of Jesus.

The Christians on here dismiss the teachings in the OT, and I want a valid reason as to why. As far as I am concerned, you're either a Christian or you're not. If you are, then you consider the OT as valid as the NT. Picking and choosing which aspects of your religion you think should be taken literally or metaphorically isn't good enough.
I dont! thank you very much!
i regard the OT more than the NT

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
It's actually because Christianity is based on the teachings of Jesus, which for some bizarre reason (hmm...) just happen to be in the New Testament.

Clearly if it wasn't, we wouldn't be Christians, but Jews. That seems pretty obvious to me. Nothing to do with watering down.
Alright then explain why Jesus was the King of the Jews and made numerous references to the Law of Moses and yet you do not either accept the OT, or only accept what the NT doesn't "overrule"?

Analyst

HSC
katie_tully said:
And who is Jesus? Ah, the son of God. So Christians are willing to dismiss the word of God, for the word of Jesus. Christianity isn't based purely on the teachings of Jesus.

The Christians on here dismiss the teachings in the OT, and I want a valid reason as to why. As far as I am concerned, you're either a Christian or you're not. If you are, then you consider the OT as valid as the NT. Picking and choosing which aspects of your religion you think should be taken literally or metaphorically isn't good enough.
Totally agree to Katie Tully there. good on ya katie

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
The Brucemaster said:
Alright then explain why Jesus was the King of the Jews and made numerous references to the Law of Moses and yet you do not either accept the OT, or only accept what the NT doesn't "overrule"?
You have heard that it was said, "Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth." But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. (Matthew 5:38-41)

It's not a case of not 'accepting' the OT, but it's obvious that teachings such as this cannot be followed while simultaneously adhering to Mosaic Law. I was not talking about the OT in its entirety, simply the parts where the two might diagree. Nor do my previous posts say anything that would preclude Jesus from having been the King of the Jews. Nor do I deny that he makes reference to the Old Testament.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expounding_of_the_Law and
http://www.despatch.cth.com.au/Despatch/Jews04.htm

In many ways the two do agree, with fulfillment of prophesy from the Old in the New. Jesus also affirms commandments:

"And Jesus said, ‘You shall not murder; you shall not commit adultery; you shall not steal; you shall not bear false witness. Honor your father and mother. Also, you shall love your neighbor as yourself.’" (Matthew 19:17-19)

And finally as an aside, to me this can only be a good thing, as we see the consequences of attempting to uphold archaic laws in modern times in too many Islamic countries.

K

katie_tully

The Bible also says that those who murder shall also be killed.

So take out of that what you will, but it still doesn't excuse the fact that modern day Christians aren't willing to accept that the OT is an integral part of their religion.

stalk_if_u_dare

cheese hater
HSC
katie_tully said:
The Bible also says that those who murder shall also be killed.

So take out of that what you will, but it still doesn't excuse the fact that modern day Christians aren't willing to accept that the OT is an integral part of their religion.
im sorry to bring this up, but.......how do you know that 'modern day christians' arent willing to accept the OT?? have you asked them all???
& is this Christians in general; or are you mainly talking about Baptists, Churches of Jesus Christs, Uniting Christians, etc, etc??

As i've said, im a "Modern day Christian" & I accept both the OT & the NT. The OT more becuase its interesting to see how God coped with annoying ppl:)

G

genavania

well the words themselves. old testament and new testament mean exactly this. the OT was the old law before Jesus and the NT was the new law where Jesus was there. Yes Jesus is God but because he died and rose again these new laws could come into place. but with all this in mind Christianity isnt actually about rule following as its main point is that we are not worthy of heaven and we need Jesus' grace in order to go there so whatever rules are in place they cannot be followed anyway.

also Katie_tully said that Christianity is not based purely upon the teachings of Jesus. Well another word for Jesus is Christ and without Jesus Christianity would be still Judaisim so yes it actually is.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
also Katie_tully said that Christianity is not based purely upon the teachings of Jesus. Well another word for Jesus is Christ and without Jesus Christianity would be still Judaisim so yes it actually is.
Find the problem in your argument for yourself.

G

genavania

yes i can see what you are saying.. but
christianity is in a sense purely the teachings of Jesus.

a very loose analogy which probably is crap and if it is i will regret writing it could be like the HSC english course. You have your advanced english which is like the OT in it you study journeys etc then is your ext english in which you study something different ie crime fiction. they still have the same fundimentals but the ext course is purely crime fiction

did that make any sense?

davin

HSC
N/A
It seems odd to say that Christianity is based only on Jesus, when Jesus was himself a follower of the Jewish faith and for years after his death early christianity was considered just a branch of Jewish thought and not a seperate group at all

G

genavania

k point taken

k what im trying to say is although the OT is extremely important that without Jesus christianity would not exist. It would still be Judaisim

Generator

HSC
N/A
garbagedump said:
OWNED...
..seriously...u should stay out of this forum so that u dont get owned anymore.
and you should mind your fingers if you aren't going to contribute anything of constructive value yourself :).

pkc

HSC
N/A
As posted in Evolution thread:

(Sorry God :burn: )

"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing."

Mark Twain

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true."

Mark Twain

webby234

HSC
N/A
pkc said:
As posted in Evolution thread:

(Sorry God :burn: )

"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing."

Mark Twain

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true."

Mark Twain

I agree with that and it is dangerous to act on simply faith. No one has really responded properly to give any evidence for God, so you can not simply just assume he exists, based on what your parents and others have told you. The majority of "believers" have simply been indoctrined from a very early age and therefore know nothing else.

Dr_Doom

HSC
I'd say Jesus is the soul of Christianity. If you don't believe in him and what he did then you're not a Christian.

Christians concentrate on the NT more than the OT because the NT prescribes what people should live by. The OT is good in that it shows creation and stories of moses which can be good examples to use in christian teaching.

davin

HSC
N/A
but wasn't the Old Testament about how to live as well? I would think that it included rules to follow at that time.

Dr_Doom

HSC
Yeah like ten commandments and stuff. They are the rules. But NT more thoroughly explains the journey of Jesus and what's to come for the future...

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
What does God feel about those wacky grey area things in relation to the ten commandments? Why did he feel the need to lay down laws that obviously most Christians feel there are exceptions to them?

ie killing to protect your country or killing in self defence, or killing because the circumstances around you drove you insane (ie: the same person killed every person you were ever close to). Why is there the ability in certain branches of faith, in regards to those commandments, where there are exceptions that are not played out in the bible? Eg. Honoring your parents YET if they're abusive... or stealing unless you are dead set poor and will die if you don't?

What are these commandments, when you are able to trust a merciful, all knowing God, who will understand why you felt the need to break such laws?

Why does God leave the ten commandments so vague. What is "honor" in regards to your parents, when the idea of "honor" varies from one person to another.

ie. Honoring them is just to love them or to respect their wishes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)