Does God exist? (1 Viewer)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters
HSC
"I'm John McCain and I disapprve of this message. Not really, I just don't like you having 2 things of rep."

:( H8u whoever u r :(

ademayd

HSC
hmm well said. i accept it was hypocritical of me.
what i am trying to do though, is not incite an argument but to try and understand atheism. so if any one has the decency to explain this to me without the obscene language please do soon!
lmao :rofl: ... exactly what I said in the thread about the buses in UK with the atheist ads.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
being unable to propose an alternative to god does not render him in existence.
It's easy to propose an alternative hypothesis

Observation: the universe exists

Null hypothesis: The universe arose independently, without a divine creator.

Alternate hypothesis:God created the universe as recorded in the bible

Can you achieve greater than 95% confidence that the null hypothesis does not explain the observation?

If not, you must accept you have failed reject the null hypothesis. The null hypothesis is never accepted as suspicion always remains over its validity.

prime-factor

HSC
What would be your definition of God.

Would he/she/divine being have to come down to Earth and say:

'You wazzzuppp my fellow Earthlings, I was lurkin' on BoS and thought I'd clear this up once and for all'.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
God would be any being who could act contrary to the known physical laws of the universe.

That's what miracles claim to do.

prime-factor

HSC
Okay.

Example: People who can predict the future.

>>This is defying the 'known physical laws'. They are beings and they are not God.

Please define being? (I can see where you are coming from, but I want to understand what you mean fully)

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
No one can predict the future, psychics aren't real, independent testing shows all psychics do no better than random guesswork.

The supernatural does not exist.

If someone could see the future, really and in a scientifically provable, detailed way, that would be evidence for the divine.

But that never happened.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
I dont think, that even if i give you historical evidence, of Jesus' existence, you would believe it.
most people are aware that a guy named jesus lived about 2000 years ago but just because some guy named jesus lived then, doesn't mean that he could raise people from the dead, or was the son of god or any of that crap.

they actually think he was born in 6AD, so that sends our year system right out of whack doesn't it. he wasn't even born in december. also that the star of bethlehem was halley's comet. so much for all the magical stuff he could do.

if there was a way for the 'prophets' to see that their story book was still being read about 1900 years later, they'd probably be pissing themselves laughing.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
lol, ok. I guess my explanation is insufficent, that is my fault, and is open to scrutiny.

But you must remeber, its your atheists supporters who brough up the omnipotent God.

In other words your 1st premise is that
1.God is omnipotent.

Then this renders all claims that God is illogical false.
No it doesn't... It is quite possible that while it is a premise for the being 'God' that he be omnipotent, we believe that omnipotence in its self creates illogical situations.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
i wanted to leave this thread but i was sent this by a friend of my fathers is a christian and a lecturer in science, "but i thought being a christian was committing intellectual suicide" you say?

anyway this document is in reference to the 'genealogy' sections of early Genesis where people are said to have lived 900+ years (a premise which has been attacked by non-thiests more than a few times during this thread), and some third party sources which attest the same claims of the same time, also of a great flood.

HalcyonSky

HSC
i wanted to leave this thread but i was sent this by a friend of my fathers is a christian and a lecturer in science, "but i thought being a christian was committing intellectual suicide" you say?

anyway this document is in reference to the 'genealogy' sections of early Genesis where people are said to have lived 900+ years (a premise which has been attacked by non-thiests more than a few times during this thread), and some third party sources which attest the same claims of the same time, also of a great flood.
is this a joke?

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
I thought it would be relevant to this thread and the frequent argument on "burdens of proof" which take place here to post a quote by Christopher Hitchens:
What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.

Hajime

HSC
Is this thread still going? It's HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE!

zstar

HSC
N/A
894 pages just to debate if some invisible dude exists or not.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
894 pages just to debate if some invisible dude exists or not.
seriously, looking at your posts and especially your debate with zeigeist over communism - you're one of the biggest douches ever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)