English is stupid (1 Viewer)

2xL

HSC
No. There is no such thing as "bs"ed well. Yes, you are encouraged to ha e your own interpretation, but this interpretation has to be well justified and concrete. English markers are not stupid, they know exactly when you are clutching at straws and talking out of your ass and no matter how many obscure techniques and how much flowery language you pull out, if your arguments seem flimsy and far fetched you will lose marks
I am going to say this once again, AS LONG AS YOU MAKE SOME KIND OF BS LINK THAT MAKES COHERENT SENSE AS PART OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE THEY WILL ACCEPT IT.

RANK 1

HSC
Your missing two critical points here:

1. The work is not only defined by what is included, but also, what is not included.

2. The entire notion of audience interpretive control, which actually has practical artistic use.

English is built on a long line of academic, cultural and critical history which is not taught to students. However, the fact that you are not taught it doesn't mean it doesn't exist, and doesn't mean there isn't justifiable reasons for what is done.
main point im getting at is that the hsc english course atm is really shit

lolcakes52

HSC
The belief that HSC english is developing ideas is misguided. It is about interpreting texts and ideas. I doubt a question has ever been asked on the english HSC that went along the lines of "According to a freudian/modernist/existentialist/whateverist interpretation of some text do blah", it will also be your interpretation, which can be whatever you want as long as you back it up. Therefore, it is essentially very difficult for someone who knows a text and has thought about a text, and they have had a year to do so, to not do well. Communication is really the only intermediate skill here, and this can be remedied by practice.

tl;dr You do poorly in english if you are bad at it.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Referring to my post about mathematicians and scientists. The good mathematician knows how to explain his proofs in elegant way so that anyone can understand it.

Your going to need to know how to talk and write elegantly such as for a university thesis and such

2xL

HSC
Referring to my post about mathematicians and scientists. The good mathematician knows how to explain his proofs in elegant way so that anyone can understand it.

Your going to need to know how to talk and write elegantly such as for a university thesis and suc
h
Fair enough, but the HSC COURSE does NOT teach this.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
The belief that HSC english is developing ideas is misguided. It is about interpreting texts and ideas. I doubt a question has ever been asked on the english HSC that went along the lines of "According to a freudian/modernist/existentialist/whateverist interpretation of some text do blah", it will also be your interpretation, which can be whatever you want as long as you back it up. Therefore, it is essentially very difficult for someone who knows a text and has thought about a text, and they have had a year to do so, to not do well. Communication is really the only intermediate skill here, and this can be remedied by practice.

tl;dr You do poorly in english if you are bad at it.
I frequently refer to different philosophies and historical contexts and that's what separates my essays from the conventional 15/20s and such. I don't know how easy your school might mark though. At my school to get 90s you need to do more than just regurgitate frequently used ideas and interpretations

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Fair enough, but the HSC COURSE does NOT teach this.
Of course I don't blame any student for their poor English experience, there is an extreme shortage in supply of good english teachers who know how to teach the course and know how to mark essays and such.
Im lucky to have a good teacher...

My teacher has taught me to speak and write more elegantly. Which has helped my essays alot too

Living Moment

HSC
Beautiful. Resorting to violence. That's the way right? Just the same that you wanted to do with iSplicer.
You know why because kids like you talk so much smack then when you get into the real world you get smashed and then go why is this world so unfair, You live your pathetic life on BOS 24/7 your always on, grow some balls buddy, Go to gym lift some weights do something with your life keyboard warrior

lolcakes52

HSC
I frequently refer to different philosophies and historical contexts and that's what separates my essays from the conventional 15/20s and such. I don't know how easy your school might mark though. At my school to get 90s you need to do more than just regurgitate frequently used ideas and interpretations
I would argue that this is done because its hard to teach people to be smart and essentially, it is basically a step in determining ones own interpretation.

2xL

HSC
Of course I don't blame any student for their poor English experience, there is an extreme shortage in supply of good english teachers who know how to teach the course and know how to mark essays and such.
Im lucky to have a good teacher...

My teacher has taught me to speak and write more elegantly. Which has helped my essays alot too
Well lucky you, but i'm simply stating the way the course is structured; it does not focus on writing but more on analysis of literature which I believe is of utterly no use after the HSC.

Blurgh

HSC
You know why because kids like you talk so much smack then when you get into the real world you get smashed and then go why is this world so unfair, You live your pathetic life on BOS 24/7 your always on, grow some balls buddy, Go to gym lift some weights do something with your life keyboard warrior
Nice profile pic, does it come in mens?

lolcakes52

HSC
You know why because kids like you talk so much smack then when you get into the real world you get smashed and then go why is this world so unfair, You live your pathetic life on BOS 24/7 you always on, grow some balls buddy, Go to gym lift some weights do something with your life keyboard warrior
Calm down, your fighting with someone on the internet. Go drink a glass of milk and then, once both of you guys have calmed down, come back and have a nice discussion.

ArguablyMitch

HSC
I agree with you 100% that English is the WORST and STUPIDEST subject that I know of. What we learn in English is absolutely bs in my opinion, and I really doubt the composers of texts/movies even think about in depth to what we go to in English. So as long as you have a brilliant vocabulary full of words no one uses on a day to day basis, and is the best bull shitter in the world, you'll do well in English.
Thank you, and others like you on this thread, for demonstrating an absolutely banal understanding of literature and cinematography.

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A
I am going to say this once again, AS LONG AS YOU MAKE SOME KIND OF BS LINK THAT MAKES COHERENT SENSE AS PART OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE THEY WILL ACCEPT IT.
Show me an essay that got a band 6 in the HSC that does this

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Well lucky you, but i'm simply stating the way the course is structured; it does not focus on writing but more on analysis of literature which I believe is of utterly no use after the HSC.
But literature is just another form of another person in real life conveying their views on the world (if you read good texts). That might sound cheesy, but its the truth. For example in Harry Potter it may not be very evident but there is alot of Biblical Imagery which is reflective on Rowling's Christianity (legit techniques)

Being able to analyse literature in a way, is being able to analyse society (except analysing society is much harder). Analysis of society is important to build your own character up (no pun intended).

This is of course not counting stupid texts that people might have as their related text...

2xL

HSC
But literature is just another form of another person in real life conveying their views on the world (if you read good texts). That might sound cheesy, but its the truth. For example in Harry Potter it may not be very evident but there is alot of Biblical Imagery which is reflective on Rowling's Christianity (legit techniques)

Being able to analyse literature in a way, is being able to analyse society (except analysing society is much harder). Analysis of society is important to build your own character up (no pun intended).

This is of course not counting stupid texts that people might have as their related text...
That was the biggest load of "bs" I've seen in my life. Deadset. That's what I mean.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Sitting here in english and im about to shoot myself in the head. English is without doubt the biggest fuckery to have ever been created straight out of Satan's arsehole.

If I was Prime Minister or some fuckhead with some power, I would get rid of this fucked up subject or make it better. Fuck sakes this teacher just rabbits on about fucken trash and I gotta sit here and cop this shit. Fuck off please. Can't wait to finish this dumb fucking subject.

Discuss.
When I am prime minister I will have more important issues to worry about and deal with (illegal boat people, carbon tax deception, national security etc) than whether Shakespeare or equivalent texts are taught in high school English courses.

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A
That was the biggest load of "bs" I've seen in my life. Deadset. That's what I mean.
No, it wasn't. Simply because you can't appreciate that literature is a way of conveying ideas relevant to society doesn't mean, it's "bs", it just means you're too simple to understand it.

enoilgam

HSC
You can "bullshit" in any essay really (bullshit is in italics because an essay presents an opinion, not objective truth) - but an essay isnt really marked on its argument, but rather the way in which that argument is presented (is it sustained, logical and supported by evidence).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)