English is stupid (1 Viewer)

Shadowless

HSC
my promise to very one is that when i become a teacher hopefully within 5 years, i will make hsc english not compulsory. This is my guaranty to you all.

Gotta make this quick: There is no valid argument against saying why english should be compulsory.

-hsc english isn't even actual english; yes english until the end of year 10 is valid but not hsc english
-least face the facts hsc math and science is far greater importance to society and the ever expanding developed world
-imagine if you made e.g. At least general math or senior science compulsory, would this be accepted?

Look around you even you reading this with your screen and typing with your key, it wasn't developed with english?

It was science and math and i don't see them two subject’s compulsory do i? Please stop this argument, hsc english will no longer be compulsory within i say at least 10 years my promise.
spell check please

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
In relation to Rawf's post.

1) In response to how you doubt that all composers dont mean what English teachers say they do. You will be surprised at the real depth some deep texts take. But its important to be able to form your own opinion. Not every forest is supposed to be an obscure metaphor, but if you do the right texts, you will start to realise the depth composers put in their texts, like Shakespeare himself (though I agree 99% of movies are just monetarily motivated rather than wanting to tell a story deeply)

2) The worst subject to do tutoring for is English in my opinion. Having tutors in English will lead to having your tutor perfecting your essay for you, then you rote it and put it in the exam. This doesnt work because you need your essay to answer the question. And maybe thats why idiots are able to beat you in English, because even if you turn up to the exam the disgrace to society they are, they might be able to answer a simple question. Sure their ideas are basic but they answer the question, and maybe your professional university style one is the probably the best essay in the world, but if it doesnt answer the question...who cares?

3) English doesnt reward rote learners, it rewards people who know their texts REALLY well. This means you need to rewatch/read your text and form your own personal analysis of it, and you keep doing it with DIFFERENT ideas, not the same ideas that you roted. After you do this, you can rock up to the test with only quotes and techniques and the knowledge of your text. Then you apply the practise you did with your style, then you write your essay.

People may disagree with me whole-heartedly with the rote-learning but I take a rather strong approach against it for English so I wont get into an argument for that.

The only thing I dislike about English, is having film-study and having to use techniques IN EVERY PARAGRAPH, which in itself is rather frustrating.

English is a good subject, people dont like it at first, then they get bad because of that attitude, which leads to them hating it even more. Its like that for everything.

RANK 1

HSC
If it has justification, how is it "bullshit"?
you can make up whatever the fuck you want for the justification, i.e the blue roof symbolises the antagonist's severe depression which catalysed his slow decent into madness. (and the guy who drew/wrote the thing probably just picked a random colour for the roof cos it looked nice)

also english is pretty easy only problem i had was that i couldnt write fast (about 650 words in 45mins).

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
My promise to very one is that when I become a teacher hopefully within 5 years, I WILL make HSC English not compulsory. This is my guaranty to you all.

Gotta make this quick: There is no valid argument against saying why English should be compulsory.

-HSC English isn't even actual English; yes English until the end of year 10 is valid but not HSC English
-Least face the facts HSC Math and Science is far greater importance to society and the ever expanding developed world
-Imagine if you made e.g. at least General Math or Senior Science compulsory, would this be accepted?

Look around you even you reading this with your screen and typing with your key, It wasn't developed with English?

It was Science and Math and I DON'T see them two subject’s compulsory do I? Please stop this argument, HSC English will no longer be compulsory within I say at least 10 years my promise.
Tell me, how would the best mathematicians speak if they spoke like monkeys? With mathematical symbols? Sorry no mathematician ever uses solely mathematical symbols and basic words, explanations of proofs need to be made.

Scientists need to publish their discoveries, would you listen to a scientist explain a concept if he spoke like a donkey?

Living Moment

HSC
Dude are you fucking retarded?

What language are you typing in?

What language are you reading in?
I swear that what you do everytime kid? chillax study and grow some balls

Big boy you wanna dance? hiding behind your cpu screen you big hero, if you wanna sort this out parra the go.

Blurgh

HSC
In relation to Rawf's post.

1) In response to how you doubt that all composers dont mean what English teachers say they do. You will be surprised at the real depth some deep texts take. But its important to be able to form your own opinion. Not every forest is supposed to be an obscure metaphor, but if you do the right texts, you will start to realise the depth composers put in their texts, like Shakespeare himself (though I agree 99% of movies are just monetarily motivated rather than wanting to tell a story deeply)

2) The worst subject to do tutoring for is English in my opinion. Having tutors in English will lead to having your tutor perfecting your essay for you, then you rote it and put it in the exam. This doesnt work because you need your essay to answer the question. And maybe thats why idiots are able to beat you in English, because even if you turn up to the exam the disgrace to society they are, they might be able to answer a simple question. Sure their ideas are basic but they answer the question, and maybe your professional university style one is the probably the best essay in the world, but if it doesnt answer the question...who cares?

3) English doesnt reward rote learners, it rewards people who know their texts REALLY well. This means you need to rewatch/read your text and form your own personal analysis of it, and you keep doing it with DIFFERENT ideas, not the same ideas that you roted. After you do this, you can rock up to the test with only quotes and techniques and the knowledge of your text. Then you apply the practise you did with your style, then you write your essay.

People may disagree with me whole-heartedly with the rote-learning but I take a rather strong approach against it for English so I wont get into an argument for that.

The only thing I dislike about English, is having film-study and having to use techniques IN EVERY PARAGRAPH, which in itself is rather frustrating.

English is a good subject, people dont like it at first, then they get bad because of that attitude, which leads to them hating it even more. Its like that for everything.

This man speaks the truth.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
you can make up whatever the fuck you want for the justification, i.e the blue roof symbolises the antagonist's severe depression which catalysed his slow decent into madness. (and the guy who drew/wrote the thing probably just picked a random colour for the roof cos it looked nice)
Your missing two critical points here:

1. The work is not only defined by what is included, but also, what is not included.

2. The entire notion of audience interpretive control, which actually has practical artistic use.

English is built on a long line of academic, cultural and critical history which is not taught to students. However, the fact that you are not taught it doesn't mean it doesn't exist, and doesn't mean there isn't justifiable reasons for what is done.

Shadowless

HSC
Tell me, how would the best mathematicians speak if they spoke like monkeys? With mathematical symbols? Sorry no mathematician ever uses solely mathematical symbols and basic words, explanations of proofs need to be made.

Scientists need to publish their discoveries, would you listen to a scientist explain a concept if he spoke like a donkey?
HSC English doesn't actually teach us grammar, etc.

We learn that in English from Y7-Y10.

HENCE your ARGUMENT IS INVALID.

2xL

HSC
Your missing two critical points here:

1. The work is not only defined by what is included, but also, what is not included.

2. The entire notion of audience interpretive control, which actually has practical artistic use.

English is built on a long line of academic, cultural and critical history which is not taught to students. However, the fact that you are not taught it doesn't mean it doesn't exist, and doesn't mean there isn't justifiable reasons for what is done.
Maybe there are..sometimes. But not to the extent that we analyse them to be in the HSC course. So essentially we are "bs"ing, which is why I believe the course is to put it simply, stupid.

Blurgh

HSC

I'm pretty sure HSC English continues to teach language. The essays/texts you write are constantly teaching you the styles and different ways English can be written in.

2xL

HSC
I'm pretty sure HSC English continues to teach language. The essays/texts you write are constantly teaching you the styles and different ways English can be written in.
Nope. You write Essays. That's it. End of story. No different "styles" or "ways" that English can be written.

enoilgam

HSC
Just to put my two cents out there, I think english should be compulsory, but I think the current english syllabus really needs an overhaul. In theory, english should help improve your communication skills and analytical ability - at the moment, I feel that it really doesnt help with communication skills and it is only somewhat effective with analytical skills. One of the chief complaints which uni lecturers have when marking essays is spelling, grammar and punctuation along with other basics of writing like structure. I have marked quite a few essays over BoS and I have to say that written communication skills are seriously lacking for most people. I think this is mainly due to the fact that these skills arent taught enough at a secondary level

At the moment there is too much of an emphasis on english literature, as opposed to actual english itself. What I would do with english is to insert a module or two which focuses on written skills. I think this would go a long way in helping english become a much more effective and beneficial subject, because at the moment I think it is lacking somewhat.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

I can speak with the utmost grammar, but still talk like a 10 year old.

For example, most people who dislike English argue on here like a pack of geese, their words might have some meaning and emotion put into them. But nevertheless...

Shadowless

HSC
Yes, but most of us would've probably learnt how to talk better than 'donkeys' by the time HSC English begins.

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A
No, as long as it's bs'ed well enough it will be accepted. Because at the end of the day..english is "our own interpretation".
No. There is no such thing as "bs"ed well. Yes, you are encouraged to ha e your own interpretation, but this interpretation has to be well justified and concrete. English markers are not stupid, they know exactly when you are clutching at straws and talking out of your ass and no matter how many obscure techniques and how much flowery language you pull out, if your arguments seem flimsy and far fetched you will lose marks

Blurgh

HSC
Nope. You write Essays. That's it. End of story. No different "styles" or "ways" that English can be written.
Wellp, that's what you believe. I personally think essays have assisted me in my language style. For me, that would probably be the only advantage to English, as it's a characteristic that's gotta be with you for the rest of your life.

Shadowless

HSC
Just to put my two cents out there, I think english should be compulsory, but I think the current english syllabus really needs an overhaul. In theory, english should help improve your communication skills and analytical ability - at the moment, I feel that it really doesnt help with communication skills and it is only somewhat effective with analytical skills. One of the chief complaints which uni lecturers have when marking essays is spelling, grammar and punctuation along with other basics of writing like structure. I have marked quite a few essays over BoS and I have to say that written communication skills are seriously lacking for most people. I think this is mainly due to the fact that these skills arent taught enough at a secondary level

At the moment there is too much of an emphasis on english literature, as opposed to actual english itself. What I would do with english is to insert a module or two which focuses on written skills. I think this would go a long way in helping english become a much more effective and beneficial subject, because at the moment I think it is lacking somewhat.
+1

theind1996

HSC
N/A
I swear that what you do everytime kid? chillax study and grow some balls

Big boy you wanna dance? hiding behind your cpu screen you big hero, if you wanna sort this out parra the go.
Beautiful. Resorting to violence. That's the way right? Just the same that you wanted to do with iSplicer.

Blurgh

HSC
Yes, but most of us would've probably learnt how to talk better than 'donkeys' by the time HSC English begins.
I think you're gonna need a bit more language then a donkey for any job you're gonna take.

Shadowless

HSC
I think you're gonna need a bit more language then a donkey for any job you're gonna take.
*than

And I was merely referencing some previous post. Obviously one would require more...

-_-

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)