First year at uni and hate it! (1 Viewer)

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
I think the reason so many people (including me) feel like uni is killing them is due to two reasons.

Firstly, most days i finish at 5 and it freaking hurts when i remember i used to finish at latest 2 - 3:30 in yr 12. Finishing so late drains my energy and im just pissed of by the time i get home - and on top of this i cant help but think how much worse it will be when day light savings ends (dark by 5:30!).

Secondly, the travel time! Most people had a significantly shorter distance to school. It took me 10 mins to get to school, now it takes 1 hour +.

uni is some thick shit.
Ahaha, yesterday I started work at 8am, then went to uni and finished classes at 8:15pm. Buck up. Finishing at 5 is practically early.

jirwin

HSC
I think the reason so many people (including me) feel like uni is killing them is due to two reasons.

Firstly, most days i finish at 5 and it freaking hurts when i remember i used to finish at latest 2 - 3:30 in yr 12. Finishing so late drains my energy and im just pissed of by the time i get home - and on top of this i cant help but think how much worse it will be when day light savings ends (dark by 5:30!).

Secondly, the travel time! Most people had a significantly shorter distance to school. It took me 10 mins to get to school, now it takes 1 hour +.

uni is some thick shit.
As someone else has aid, 5pm is early. I don't finish TAFE until 9pm on a Thursday, 7.30pm on a Monday. Granted I don't start until 2.30 and 1.30pm respectively but my friend who goes to uni is there from 8.30am till 7pm on a Wednesday (with an hour or two break)

By the time I finish TAFE I'm pretty tired, and the idea of having an exam at 5.30pm is horrible (happened last night) so I understand what you mean by draining your energy - travelling doesn't help. But just think, when you finish at 5pm, I'm not even starting my second class yet.

tanna

HSC
It is difficult I suppose. I know I'm used to a 10min walk to school, back home at 3:30, study, free time and sleep routine.

But with uni, it's a 6:30 wake up, 6pm return home most days, and the days in which I finish early, I'm working til 9:30. It's a dramatic change for a lot of people I know, but I'm sure we'll all get used to it eventually - it'll get easier :p

spazamataz

HSC
I actually like my hours.

I only go for 2 hours on mondays and tuesdays, then a 1:30 start, 7:30 finish on wednesdays, and a 2:30 start, 6:30 finish on thursdays!

And Wednesday night is student night, so essentially I come back home, have food, then leave!

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Haha well no, it doesn't get easier.

But you do learn to work smarter, rather than harder.

I mean, I looked at my workload this year and cringed a little, but I know it'll get done so I'm not stressing out too much.

cassiecocaine

HSC
Getting up at 530 three days a week is harder than I thought it would be. So is working two jobs. I think mine is more a case if working out my priorities and moving closet to uni/getting my liscence. There are heaps if people who have it harder than me.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC

uni is some thick shit.
Honey, life in the real world is the same if not harder. Get used to it.

Personally going in early/finishing late doesn't bother me that much. I do a day where I need to be at campbelltown at 9am for a class 9-12, then at macquarie 2-6 for lectures and tutes, yeah I feel like shit at the end of the day but meh my uni week is pretty much over, plus I know thats just 1 hr more than a normal working day.

Omar-Comin

HSC
N/A
Honey, life in the real world is the same if not harder. Get used to it.

Personally going in early/finishing late doesn't bother me that much. I do a day where I need to be at campbelltown at 9am for a class 9-12, then at macquarie 2-6 for lectures and tutes, yeah I feel like shit at the end of the day but meh my uni week is pretty much over, plus I know thats just 1 hr more than a normal working day.
honey don't be so harsh, there's a big difference between the type of work a halfwit sociology/law student (i.e. you) has to do, and the work a real student has to do.
Mahdi try getting up earlier and getting your uni work done before 6pm, then you can relax.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
honey don't be so harsh, there's a big difference between the type of work a halfwit sociology/law student (i.e. you) has to do, and the work a real student has to do.
Mahdi try getting up earlier and getting your uni work done before 6pm, then you can relax.
1. You have no idea how much work inside or outside of uni. My contact hours may be less but I am pretty sure that I qualify as a real student by my excessive reading load + 2 days of work a week + my honours thesis + mooting + being overloaded in terms of units but I know you're the type of person who will still maintain I have it easy.
2. the post I quoted wasn't complaining about the workload, they were complaining that they were finishing later than 2-3pm.
3. I wasn't saying I worked harder, all I was saying was grow up the real world is full of 9-5 days...it doesnt get easier

I wasn't trying to be harsh but in my experience a lot of first years need some tough love, I know the transition is hard, I am currently mentoring 1st years but I'd rather teach someone the lesson now then have the lesson taught the hard way.

As has been said above it doesn't get easier BUT you learn to deal with it all better, better manage your time etc...

Last edited:

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Yeah nobody tells an honours student that they don't know what work is.

witide

HSC
Gosh, this is my second year and I'm loving it. It may be demanding at times, but at least I have an interest in what I'm studying.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
i hate
uni
so
much
:mad1:

i really do.

Sokolov

HSC
N/A
UNSW is the best uni there is.
no other university in australia matches the pride and joy of unsw's engineering.
also the uneven terrain.
but there are more asians than blacks.

only dumbasses and fucktards go to usyd.

I hate uni so much, I hate the amount of work, I hate the travel.

I did fine in HSC, but I'm struggling so badly at uni and its only been 3 weeks.

I like my course but I can't keep up at all :(

Why did noone warn me. FML
sucked in.

now you can dive into a pond of piranhas

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Lockie. Actually, thats all I know, and theres some girl in one of my tutes, but I dont know who she is! lol
Ah, I know Lockie. Good guy. The other girl is probably one of the two I mentioned. :)

mahdi

HSC
WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

unles ur doin engineering/science stop ur bitchin'
Im not bitching man. Everyone seems to think i am. I know starting at 9 and finishing at 5 is normal and is what people have to do for work. Im just saying its a big change from school and im not used to so many hours of work and travel. And lol im doing engineering.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)