formal dress - where? (1 Viewer)

margareth

outlet stuff go get like sassnbide, alannah hill, bare rebecca davies for cheaper ;) worth the money with the designs they have sureto turn some heads

margareth

mashimaro1987 said:
Ma formal is in a couple of weeks from now and i need 2 start go shoppin' after hsc.....do u guyz kno where 2 get a formal dress dat is small cos' i'm reli 'petite'
kids section. kidding...just try to find some many dresses in size 6 dont tell me ur under that other than that u shouldnt have any probs

HSC
Just in case you are smaller than a size 6, Alex Perry is the only designer that comes to mind that makes size 4.

Lainee

HSC
mashimaro1987 said:
Ma formal is in a couple of weeks from now and i need 2 start go shoppin' after hsc.....do u guyz kno where 2 get a formal dress dat is small cos' i'm reli 'petite'
You can always get a slightly larger dress altered quite cheaply. I have the most annoying proportions (hips, boobs, waist... blah) so I generally have to get stuff that's meant to be fitted altered so that it clings properly. I got a Charlie Brown dress that I'm wearing to a family wedding in December altered for $30. It was quite hard to alter as well because of the detailing around the waist and hem.

So don't despair if you don't find one in your size. :) Just buy something relatively early (3/4 weeks) so that there's plenty of time to get it altered before the formal day.

HSC
I agree with Chic Collections, which are all over the place. There are great dresses at The Strand, near Pitt St Mall, if you're happy to part with large sums of cash (although my friend did get a gorgeous cream, silk Third Millenium dress for $100).

I wore a matching champagne top and skirt from Review for my Year 10 formal, and a Morrisey dress from the outlet at Birkenhead Point for Year 11 - I was the only one in both, happily, but it is a lot less likely that someone else will wear the same thing if you go with outlets.

sxc_ballerina89

HSC
Argonaut said:
Here's a hint I picked up from a group of freinds who were mostly female - go as far out of town as possible. A lot of places keep records of who bought what dress and what school they go to so you'll avoid arrriving in the same dress as someone else (tragedy as it is).
This is so true i went to a place about 45 mins away from my school for my dress in yr 10 and was told that the style of dress i got was a discontinued dress...but as the fates would have it it wasn't :mad: n b4 i had even got out of the car i saw a girl wearing the same dress in the same colour (it was opal, a shiny blue with different shades shimmering through very unique) and as a result got my false nails caught in the door handle and broke 3 of them off :angry: and then 2 other girls had the same dress in a pale blue and pale yellow so i was no very happi at the time but looking back i cnt believe i was so pissed but hey thats part of being young and unwise lol

Cykologi_gal

Psyche...
HSC
For truly unique styles, I designed my Year 10 and Year 12 formal dresses and my mum made them. My Year 10 one is like the late-1800's ball gowns - Blood-red satin with faintly printed flowers, three layers of off-the-shoulder satin wave-frills plus a string of studs around the shoulders, a flower on the hip, a split down the left side to reveal a second layer and another round of wave-frills at the bottom . You really feel like a princess wearing one of these...

...But it was a bit over the top and so my Year 12 one was simpler and more modern - Swimming pool blue satin, mermaid shape, off-the-shoulder, scruched-up blue chiffon around the shoulders and straight down the back clipped by a brooch, two asymetrical columns of single studs running down the body to the knees, a string of studs around the knees and another brooch in front of that - It had a royal feel to it, like it can be worn to palaces and such.

Both dresses cost less than $200, buy the fabrics at Cabramatta - there's a bridal and evening gown fabric shop on the main street. The accessories were a bit expensive and it took around two weeks to sew...but they're the best dresses I've seen so far.

My point is, try have a vision of your dream dress, my vision always has a princess feel to it. You don't have to, just ask yourself what style you like, colour etc...HARTS always has the best dresses, and the price range is enormous...go there :) One of my friends bought hers in the QVB, cost her $800 and was voted "Best Dressed" - It was peach, short, low-back low-front and had sequins all over it....So, make it if it's possible, it's way cheaper and no one else will ever wear that dress...there's no risk and that's truly unique.

Last edited:

lilmissjules

HSC
jcrew but i think the best option is to talk about it with a tailor because they're the experts and the fitting of your dress will be perfect - will definitely turn heads

sxc_ballerina89

HSC
quick question does any1 have an idea of wat styles r "in" at the moment? cos im starting to design my dress n dnt realli want 1 that reflects an "in style" dress n i havent been out shopping to see thanx

<3 *SaMmY* xox

Cykologi_gal

Psyche...
HSC
sxc_ballerina89 said:
quick question does any1 have an idea of wat styles r "in" at the moment? cos im starting to design my dress n dnt realli want 1 that reflects an "in style" dress n i havent been out shopping to see thanx

<3 *SaMmY* xox
Hmm..wear what you like, what YOU look good in...no matter if it's 'in' or 'out' - long'nflowy, ballroom and mermaid never go 'out' yet some of them are only 'in' during winter in HARTS and stuff...WEAR what you like, not everyone will go for 'in' anyway, so not much competition there!

Mel_b

HSC
I bought mine for this year from Review - it's lilac with a creamy print, spagetti straps, empire line and pleated skirt (sort of 1930s style). They had the same dress in a lot of different colours/prints but I don't think many girls in my grade have their dress yet, and they're mostly sold out, so I should be the only one in it.

I wore a gown for my year 10 formal, and I wish I had bought something different. It's a pain to dance in, and I just didn't feel comfortable. Sharing the back seat of a car with people was a bitch too.

ruthquack

HSC
say your a bigger person.. not that skinny and stuff where would you get one from? and not from harts... somewhere in sydney..

kangarulz

Procrastinaton
HSC
i don't know if anyone has mentioned this already (i cant be bothered looking through 12 pages)... but Brides of Piccadilly in piccadilly mall on pitt street has some awesome dresses, i just recently bought mine from there... they also have a clearance store open thurs-sun with good bargain dresses that still look great!
good luck xo

blu biu

HSC
well for me. . i love looking at small shops to find one of a kind dresses ! I definitely wouldnt go HARTS or any shop like that .. lols incase someone else wears exactly the same thing at my formal -__-"

candyblush.com has some dresses .$35-$40

You can try MYERS as well.. their dresses are quite affordable and good quality

happy searching

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
blu biu said:
well for me. . i love looking at small shops to find one of a kind dresses ! I definitely wouldnt go HARTS or any shop like that .. lols incase someone else wears exactly the same thing at my formal -__-"

candyblush.com has some dresses .$35-$40

You can try MYERS as well.. their dresses are quite affordable and good quality

happy searching
Harts is unoriginal :|
I went to some outlet place for year 12 and got something no one else had thank god!

However there were these two dresses that about 6 people had in... in varying colours

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)