HARRY POTTER & THE DEATHLY HALLOWS - thoughts (SPOILERS!!) (1 Viewer)

forevaunited

HSC
I was pretty happy with it. Really liked the whole Snape history with Lily - him and dumbledore will always be the best characters in the book. But in saying that, i think his death could have been dealt with in a better way.

Ron so needed to die though. Although his pairing with Hermione makes everything lovely and sweet. . . it would have been more tragic if he had died. Actually the only death that i 'felt' for was Dobby . . . the others including Fred didn't really impact me that much.

Ohh and in reply to someone who said something about the book not stating the importance of harry's eyes as Lilys . . . . that was the fact that Snape had loved Lily . . . when he dies hes says to Harry "look . . .at .. . . me" because he is picturing Lily - the person who he had loved and ultimately died for . . .

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
whoa havent posted here in ages but of course, HP brings me back haha

i've read through all the posts but nobody has mentioned this and I'm kinda confused about it...WHAT exactly happened to Ariana? What did those 3 Muggle boys do to her? I was thinking of rape but the line "they got carried away trying to make her do the magic again" (or something to that effect) doesn't seem to signal rape. But what else would ruin her mind so severely????

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
I liked the whole Dudley being all "Where's he going!?". That and the fact JKR used the word "bitch".

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Sarah168 said:
whoa havent posted here in ages but of course, HP brings me back haha

i've read through all the posts but nobody has mentioned this and I'm kinda confused about it...WHAT exactly happened to Ariana? What did those 3 Muggle boys do to her? I was thinking of rape but the line "they got carried away trying to make her do the magic again" (or something to that effect) doesn't seem to signal rape. But what else would ruin her mind so severely????
It could still have been rape. Rons uncle used to try and put him in lifethreatening situations to try and get him to do magic. Maybe they raped her or tortured her thinking she would use magic to try and escape?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
epilogue= absolute shite

the rest=yeah allright, i spose

too many deaths were just mentioned in passing, as if, meh, who cares who dies
wand thing got confusing

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Now that I think on it, there would have been plenty of opportunities to include foreshadowing of the Deathly Hallows:
- The book Harry opened in the Restricted Section his first year could have eaily had the symbol on it which caught his eye.
- When discussing the Chamber of Secrets in their second year, the ghost-teacher could have said it was as much of a legend as the Three Brothers.
- After explaining Sirius' story to the Minister in PoA, Fudge could have said something along the lines of "Black? Innocent? Next he'll be telling us there's a stone that can resurrect the dead!" to Dumbledore.
And so on and so forth. My sigle biggest problem was the way it was dropped on us with no warning; at least with everything else we were exposed to it beforehand.

HSC
Malfoy said:
I thought 'Accio Hagrid' was just as bad as the Parseltongue thing, to be honest.

And EDIT: It's kind of a pity Neville didn't get to kill Bellatrix.

And EDIT2: One thing I did like is in the midst of the battle, Lucius and Narcissa were just out looking for Draco. Puts a lot of fanon to rest, actually, even though the idea of Draco having a pretty cold relationship with his parents has led to a lot of interesting fanfic.
I agree on all of these.

Ron was still an idiot. Draco was a chicken, Remus was way different, there were soo many things that went way too fast-still didn't sink in. Overall the thing i hated most was the way Severus died. Also what happened to most of the deaths will be from the dark side?

I thought the book was good, she could have made it better.

I have a few questions though. This is what JKR said which i don't remember it happening, so if someone does could you tell me?!

-The Potters' profession is important to the plot. I don't even remember this!
-It is very important that Harry has his mother's eyes, and that her wand was good for charms.Anyone? The eyes, i've been trying to work out what the hell it means but she didnt mention it! whats with the wand?
-We will see the Weasley car again. When?Where?
-The spouses of a few of the professors at Hogwarts will have a role to play. Didn't happen
-Exactly what Dudley Dursley saw when he encountered the Dementors. She didn't mention it
-Rowling has refused to tell curious fans what the forms of Snape's boggart and Patronus are, as such an in-depth look at Snape's greatest fears and most cherished memories would give too much away. This information will finally be revealed. Umm.. we know half but i don't recall reading about the bogart, was it something to do with Lily?
-More information on exactly what spell Dumbledore tried to use on Voldemort at the Ministry in Order of the Phoenix ...
-Rowling has revealed that she has already written the last chapter of the book, although she admitted she would probably have to change some of it. It will reveal what happens to the surviving characters after they leave Hogwarts. SURVIVING CHARACTERS! She only mentioned 6 of them! Such bullshit man.

Also whats with Ginny? The whole, she has powers... far man JKR built this up big time.

Last edited:

Zephyrio

HSC
^ I AGREE WITH THE ABOVE.

I'm such a Potter fan and I was so ... disappointed.

(I was crying when Dobby died. Poor thing.)

And bloody hell so many loose ends were left UNTIED! Longbottom never got to kill Bellatrix. His part of the prophecy and why he wasn't chosen remains a mystery.

Also, Lily Evans's eyes. What significance did they have? I remember reading about them but not of their importance.

The way JKR explained how Voldemort's soul went out of Harry was really, really farfetched too. I was thinking - "WHAT?"

I also think that had we gained exposure to the bombshells in this book beforehand the whole series would be more flowy, more congruous and ultimately more fulfilling. I always had a problem with the sixth book because of the idea of horcruxes. I was thinking - WHAT! If I had been exposed to the idea of splitting your soul (said in a more direct way than the Diary incident in CoS) then to me it would have made so much more sense.

And every one dies. Death is mentioned in a very blase and nonchalant way, as if to say "meh, so what, he died. Next." I didn't like that aspect of it because Rowling was quite understated during most of the deaths.

And do not get me started on the epilogue. "ALBUS SEVERUS"? What in sam's hell was Miss Rowling thinking? And I also disliked the book in that the characters close to Harry - Luna, Neville, Seamus, Dean etc were only mentioned in passing and they didn't do much to the plot. Malfoy... well what was he doing? Sleeping the whole time? He might have been, for all little he actually did.

For a Potter fan following the series for so long, I'm pretty disappointed.

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Whatever your complaints, you all actually seem to have been given a lot of happiness from this book/series and I think it's great there's still more for you to discuss. I was genuinely shocked that there's this many people that absolutely fawn over harry potter, but it really does seem to have been a big positive in a lot of people's lives... When my friend picked up her copy of the book yesterday she looked like a little kid who'd just got the present she'd been hoping for months santa would bring, that sort of excitement just doesn't happen too often for adults - I almost felt jealously nostalgic that I couldn't feel the same.

- enteebee

Last edited:
HSC
Malfoy said:
Agree, agree, agree!

I've been thinking about Severus' death this morning, and while I think the fact he remained ambiguous to the point of death was probably the best way it could have been done, I do think his actual death was disappointing. He died completely and utterly in vain. He didn't have to die! The Elder Wand was never his. It was just so senseless and... ugh.

I could understand, say, if he died doing one final act that actually proved where his real loyalties lay, but to have the bravest, most noble (in my opinion. He sacrificed himself far more than any of the others, and never complained) character die such a senseless death just made me sick.
Agreed

I knew se was going to kill him off, but i wanted him to die in some other way...like an ACTUAL battle or to protect Harry or something huge. This was just crap! But the chapter about him and Lily was the best thing out of the whole novel :eek:

And every one dies. Death is mentioned in a very blase and nonchalant way, as if to say "meh, so what, he died. Next." I didn't like that aspect of it because Rowling was quite understated during most of the deaths.
SO TRUE! Man she killed everyone, and they got over the death like way to quickly! :( And Tonks, i mean she didn't HAVE to die!

Lol at the names of the children. And the way Percy just...came back. Honestly it could have been sooo much better if she put in what..another 100+ pages?

HSC
Malfoy said:
Agree. Though my favourite bits were about Kreacher (both when Harry gives him the locket and when he raises the house elf army) and when Lucius and Narcissa don't even bother fighting, they just go and look for Draco.
I forgot aout those. I loved Kreacher! I knew Narcissa would do that but Lucius was a suprise, must have been the way he was treated.

Yeah, maybe even another 200. Everything was too rushed, and there were a lot of plotholes. Then again, more writing = more chance to be sloppy, in the sense of 'Accio Hagrid' sloppy.
Lol There would have been alot of that kind of stuff, but she would have explained things more. I still have things i don't even understand!

I don't know if anyone noticed but she was kind of using lines from other HP books. Like when on was saying something about how he wished the cat was their, Hermione replied 'Are you a wizard or not' When he said the same thing to her in one of the other books...

HSC
I liked the book overall, although there were a few coincidences that annoyed me
-Umbridge just happening to buy Slytherin's locket/Horcrux from Mundungus. I understand Rowling wanted to show what was happening in the ministry, but it would have better if the locket had been purchased by random x ministry official rather than Umbridge
-Griphook, Dean, Ted Tonks and others happening to walk past Harr/Hermione/Ron's campsite talking loudly about Gryffindor's sword and how it had been switched.
-Like someone else mentioned, Crabbe/Goyle's 'fiend fire' spell just happening to kill horcruxes, and also Harry happening to see and remember the diadem in the room of requireiment.

On the other hand I actually liked the hopeless "stuck" part of the book where Ron left and everybody was out of ideas. The battle of Hogwarts was fantastic (Molly Weasley saying bitch and killing Bellatrix was a little odd). I understand why people are a little 'wtf' about the whole deathly hallows thing, especially because it had bever been foreshadowed, but I guess there's no reason an author cannot bring new content iinto the book.

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
I've read this whole thread, and i don't think anyone has mentioned the stuff-up with Hermione's memory charm.

Earlier she said she modifies her parent's memories to get them to Australia (Woohoo for us!), then later as she's about to "Obliviate" a pair of Death Eaters she said she's never done it before "But i know the theory".

PS. Imagine this was all a huge publicity stunt and there's gonna be a REAL version
in like a months time where we can trade in the book we have now for the REAL one.

-P_D

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
PS. Imagine this was all a huge publicity stunt and there's gonna be a REAL version
in like a months time where we can trade in the book we have now for the REAL one.
Imagine if they wrote a different story in invisible ink above the current one zomgz ^___~

-NTB

HSC
Some parts of the book did seem rushed, I agree, but I think that is possibly because we've all read a hefty 600 page book in 12 or so hours :)

Kujah

HSC
N/A
It was pretty tough for Harry to not make a noise when Voldemort did the Crucicatus spell on him.

I thought overall, the book was pretty rushed. Evenets kept on occurring pretty simultaneously, especially when they were on the run.

HSC
Malfoy said:
I think he finally realised, after losing favour with the Dark Lord, that his family was more important than his desire for power.

Maybe he didn't actually realise how important Draco was to him until there was the threat of the Dark Lord's retribution a) after Lucius gets sent to Azkaban and b) after Draco fails to kill Dumbledore.

(There's certainly a fic or two in that, btw - Lucius coming to finally appreciate his son)

EDIT: You can actually kind of trace the change in Lucius from the way JKR describes his physical appearances in book 7. He looks pretty much defeated and hollow, you know?

EDIT2: I wonder if Narcissa secretly wanted Harry to win because of what happened after Lucius lost favour with the Dark Lord? I mean, she lets him think Harry is dead and all, just like Harry wanted.
Yeah i agree. He does change. From the start it is obvious.

Narcissa could have told Voldemort that he was alive and she still would have ended up going inside to look for Draco, i think she wasn't really that into the whole voldemort taking over. In the end they all know that he has no problem with killing people as long as he remains in power.

Edit: Harry being related to voldemort is weird. [the whole Deathly Hallows thingy]

Last edited:
HSC
Malfoy said:
You're right. I think Narcissa initially was only following family expectations in marrying Lucius, and she was never as much into the whole Death Eater thing, but suffered it as a good pure-blooded wife should. But I also think that Narcissa and Lucius really did grow to love each other, despite what a lot of fic says (Cassandra Claire, I'm looking at you!)
Lol. Well they don't fight, and they can work together.

I can't get over these useless deaths! Can't wait till she maks an interview!

Someone said that the only important thing about Harrys eyes is that they remind Severus [and others] of Lily! If thats true man...:bomb:

dhampoet

HSC
N/A
Kujah said:
We never get a mention of what happens to Godric's sword do we at the end?
The sword is mentioned after the battle. It is used by Neville
I think the sword comes back through the Sorting Hat because it will always comes back to the true Gryfindor

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
all this mention of fanfic, i'm curious, wheres the best place to get it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)