I think I might end my life... it's too painful (1 Viewer)

yoonaday

HSC
Hello can somebody please help me? I'm doing really bad in my subjects while everybody around me is doing so well... I feel so left out in my group now... I don't feel like I belong when all of my friends talk about their marks and studies... it makes me feel so left out and depressed. And no matter how hard I try to study I don't seem to get the marks that I dream of having. Maths is the biggest problem and it's really dragging all my subjects down because I always get low marks for it (low marks = 5-10%) I don't think I will be able to get into uni at this rate.... what if I get a mystery atar?... sometimes I feel like I won't even have a future ahead of me. Please can anybody help me? I really want to go into uni to study... but I don't think that I will make it because I can't even keep up with everybody in class. PLEASE HELP!

Weasel406

HSC
Uni Grad
What maths are you doing? Did you pick classes that are too difficult?

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
So what if you get a mystery ATAR? Does that mean you suddenly can't do anything in life?

You have a pair of hands don't you? You can function? Why do you need a piece of paper with a number on it telling you what you can and can't do?

You don't have to go to uni. You can do anything. If you want to go to uni but don't get the marks straight away - go to tafe, study there, then in a year or two try and get into uni - it's not impossible.

But in the meantime try your best - ask for help with maths, even here there are loads of people who are willing to explain stuff to you. If you need help for anything just ask someone.

uniquee

reps2g is a stalker
HSC
may I know the range of your poor marks? Sometimes in the context of a person it can be over 50%. And if that is what you consider poor marks then it really isn't as bad as you think it is. I'm sure your parents will understand the amount of effort you put in. I don't think you should think of yourself like that. You seem to have a thorn for maths.. This is the case for many students in year 12 who struggle in mathematics.. it's actually such a tough subject, i struggle with it as well.. YOU definitely wont get a mystery mark.. you can still get an 85 + if you work harder, but work on maths the most, since your received marks that your displeased with.. Maybe get help from a tutor? (helps ALOT) improved my % from 70 to 85% in Mathematics Extension 1. And may i also know how much % of your exams you have done, with that relevant information, it'll allow from one to know your maximum mark. And what course are you trying to get into? and also at what Uni? there are also many different pathways to enter uni, Tafe is one example, it seems that this pathway is not appreciated by many students, but you'll eventually transfer into uni and you will soon be studying the course you wanted. But i urge, that the tafe option should be your last option, as you should study hard as you have approx 75 % of your HSC to go.

yoonaday

HSC
What maths are you doing? Did you pick classes that are too difficult?
I'm doing 2unit maths at the moment and that's really worrying because it shouldn't really be that hard but I don't seem to understand anything in class. I can't keep up with my class and I'm just struggling behind... I'm so lost when my teacher explains something and I don't want to ask the people sitting next to me because if I ask too many questions they get annoyed. I really don't know what to do.. I really should have dropped maths altogether but the thought of that is not even possible now. I don't think my subjects are difficult but it's really maths that's dragging everything down... but I can't seem to pick it back up either :/

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
So what if you get a mystery ATAR? Does that mean you suddenly can't do anything in life?

You have a pair of hands don't you? You can function? Why do you need a piece of paper with a number on it telling you what you can and can't do?

You don't have to go to uni. You can do anything. If you want to go to uni but don't get the marks straight away - go to tafe, study there, then in a year or two try and get into uni - it's not impossible.

But in the meantime try your best - ask for help with maths, even here there are loads of people who are willing to explain stuff to you. If you need help for anything just ask someone.
I agree.

yoonaday

HSC

But the thought of going tafe is scary because my whole family are watching me for my progress... and the thought of tafe would be horrifying. My parents might even kick me out of my house because I've been wasting their money to get tutored. I don't know what to do... I really want a good atar in the end.. but I feel like it's unachievable because I'm doing 10 units and my maths is already so bad. I'm really scared :/

madharris

HSC
N/A
I don't feel like I belong
Here is your AOS creative :p 15/15? :)

Don't be so hard on yourself, people get * atars and still manage to earn a living (sometimes more than someone who gets 90)
It just depends what you want to do, you should talk to your careers advisor to look at different options other than uni.
Prehaps tafe, an apprenticeship or go straight into the workforce? Uni isn't the only option you have after school, if you don't think that you will get uni, start researching other things that you may be interested in

yoonaday

HSC
may I know the range of your poor marks? Sometimes in the context of a person it can be over 50%. And if that is what you consider poor marks then it really isn't as bad as you think it is. I'm sure your parents will understand the amount of effort you put in. I don't think you should think of yourself like that. You seem to have a thorn for maths.. This is the case for many students in year 12 who struggle in mathematics.. it's actually such a tough subject, i struggle with it as well.. YOU definitely wont get a mystery mark.. you can still get an 85 + if you work harder, but work on maths the most, since your received marks that your displeased with.. Maybe get help from a tutor? (helps ALOT) improved my % from 70 to 85% in Mathematics Extension 1. And may i also know how much % of your exams you have done, with that relevant information, it'll allow from one to know your maximum mark. And what course are you trying to get into? and also at what Uni? there are also many different pathways to enter uni, Tafe is one example, it seems that this pathway is not appreciated by many students, but you'll eventually transfer into uni and you will soon be studying the course you wanted. But i urge, that the tafe option should be your last option, as you should study hard as you have approx 75 % of your HSC to go.
I already explained in my post that my maths marks are between the range of 5-10% That's really really bad... and a complete disgrace to my family as they are all expecting me to get that perfect mark. My parents don't seem to understand me... I can't ever have a proper conversation with them without it ending in a huge fight... that's why I try to avoid them as much as I can and try and do well in my studies. But no matter how much I try I still keep failing maths... I'm really scared on how hard the HSC will be... I mean I just did a maths test today and I couldn't answer a SINGLE QUESTION. I might as well just get 0 for my hsc if that's how it goes. I really want to go Uni to study marine science but science courses require a high atar and I don't think I have the potential to get that. Please could you help? I'm begging you!

yoonaday

HSC
Here is your AOS creative :p 15/15? :)

Don't be so hard on yourself, people get * atars and still manage to earn a living (sometimes more than someone who gets 90)
It just depends what you want to do, you should talk to your careers advisor to look at different options other than uni.
Prehaps tafe, an apprenticeship or go straight into the workforce? Uni isn't the only option you have after school, if you don't think that you will get uni, start researching other things that you may be interested in
Thankyou for your support... but uni seems like the only option in a way. I don't think tafe offers the course (marine biology) I'm really interested in and even if it did I would be a complete disgrace to my parents and my family as they are all expecting me to get a good atar. There's so much pressure on me and so much drama that I can't seem to cope..

uniquee

reps2g is a stalker
HSC
Science courses are not particularly high, if i recall correctly, My friend has the same aspirations as you, He wanted to Do Marine Science/Law though. And Marine science is around a 75 Atar. which is completely easy for anyone to get. And Macquarie University gives out Bonus Atar points, if you do well in the HSC that relates to Marine Science, Are you doing Biology, Earth, English Advance? Is so, you're in luck my friend you can get up to 5 Bonus points, I believe, so that means a 70 ATAR, and i stress don't think like this "AH GREAT ONLY NEED A 70 ATAR, YES THAT'S EASY" try your hardest and get the best possible Mark. You could surprise yourself and receive a 85 Atar and Do a science course in USYD or UNSW, Highly acknowledged universities with top notch equipment. I'm not sure how to Help you, But TRY your HARDEST and YOU will ACHIEVE what you DESERVE, which I hope is 75 ATAR + for your course.

HSC
study, study harder, keep studying.
how do you get 5-10%, i use to do maths and i dropped it cause i use to get liek 50%
u cld always repeat yr 12 and dont pick maths or drop down to general.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Why would you think of such a silly thing like ending your life? Cheer up! :) There are people out there with cancer and disease and they're clinging for dear life, praying that they will live to see another day. Then there are people such as you who want to throw it all away when you have no reason whatsoever to do so. Please don't compare yourself and create unrealistic goals. Not everyone is born to become a doctor or lawyer in life. I hope your parents will understand that in future.

madharris

HSC
N/A
Thankyou for your support... but uni seems like the only option in a way. I don't think tafe offers the course (marine biology) I'm really interested in and even if it did I would be a complete disgrace to my parents and my family as they are all expecting me to get a good atar. There's so much pressure on me and so much drama that I can't seem to cope..
science courses are only an atar of ~80 which isn't too hard. If you try to pick up your game, and work hard, you will achieve it as there is still a bit of internal assessments left.
Remember, you can always pick a lower course such as ~60 then transfer into science, there's always ways to get in. (My friend got 50 atar and somehow [i'm not 100% sure how] got into engineering which is usually quite a high atar to get into)

Bored_of_HSC

HSC

This times a billion.

Your main problem seems to be maths.Get a tutor and find out where your weakpoints are.

Also, not giving too much of a shit about others helps too. Set your goals for yourself, not so you can compare with your friends or impress your parents.

yoyoyoshi

HSC
N/A
Hello can somebody please help me? I'm doing really bad in my subjects while everybody around me is doing so well... I feel so left out in my group now... I don't feel like I belong when all of my friends talk about their marks and studies... it makes me feel so left out and depressed. And no matter how hard I try to study I don't seem to get the marks that I dream of having. Maths is the biggest problem and it's really dragging all my subjects down because I always get low marks for it (low marks = 5-10%) I don't think I will be able to get into uni at this rate.... what if I get a mystery atar?... sometimes I feel like I won't even have a future ahead of me. Please can anybody help me? I really want to go into uni to study... but I don't think that I will make it because I can't even keep up with everybody in class. PLEASE HELP!
Please don't give up. Believe me, you're not alone and you can achieve great things.
If you ever need someone to talk to msg me, I have a similar story and I hope it'll keep you strong. Like mentioned in the above posts, there are other options/pathways into uni. I'm currently doing TAFE but I'd recommend it be your last option, it's best to finish this years HSC first to the best of your ability. Stay strong and hold onto that dream because it's not out of reach.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
study, study harder, keep studying.
how do you get 5-10%, i use to do maths and i dropped it cause i use to get liek 50%
u cld always repeat yr 12 and dont pick maths or drop down to general.
Some people can not grasp 2u maths, me being one of them. If you can not understand the subject then the teacher must rethink their way of teaching or the student gets a tutor (and a good one).

enoilgam

HSC
Some people can not grasp 2u maths, me being one of them. If you can not understand the subject then the teacher must rethink their way of teaching or the student gets a tutor (and a good one).
Very true - not everyone is a wizz at maths. For some people, even their best efforts arent enough. On topic though, OP the HSC isnt the be all to end all, you still have a tonne of options available to you even if you get a miserly ATAR.

Last edited:

yoyoyoshi

HSC
N/A
Yes, I'm also one of those people who can't grasp 2u Maths though I wish I could as my dream job is to be a Marine Biologist. I've heard that the course has a good amount of Maths, I'll probably do Gen.Maths or attempt 2U and try get a real good tutor. Though, my friends aunt became a Marine Biologist and was alike in terms of Maths not being her strong point.

@enoilgam - Yeah, that's true.

Last edited:

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, I'm also one of those people who can't grasp 2u maths though I wish I could as my dream job is to be a Marine Biologist. I've heard that the course has a good amount of maths, I'll probably do Gen.Maths or attempt 2U and try get a real good tutor. Though, my friends aunt became a Marine Biologist and was alike in terms of maths not being her strong point.

@enoilgam - Yeah, that's true.
2u maths will definitely be a LOT more achievable if you find someone to sit down and identify your weakness, and tell you exactly what to study and concentrate on. Either get a tutor, or consult your class teacher =]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)