Malaysian Airlines flight MH17 shot down (1 Viewer)

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
This annoys me. Yes its tragic and sad that this plane got shot and all the lives gone. But an airplane gets shot down or mysteriously vanishes and the whole world cares. Meanwhile in Gaza genocide is happening in front of our very eyes and it gets hardly any notice/help from politicians/people
this is an extremely callous thing to say
sounds like negligence on malaysian airlines behalf continuing to use that route even though they were advised by the international council to choose longer alternate routes (more spenno fuel wise for a struggling airline) and was kind of an avoidable incident in that sense

wonder if families will/can sue for damages or something
i was wondering if the aviation/air traffic control authority that approved the plane to fly there could face legal action

_traveler_

That married guy
HSC
N/A
As someone that is a avid aviation hobbyist and an international relations student here's my 2c.

It is an extremely sad day. There was nothing fundamentally wrong with the airspace in which MH17 travelling in even more so when all the other massive airlines also flew within the same airspace. We're talking about SG/AI/LH/TG/ect. You could argue that it was poor risk assessment but in reality if MH17 wasn't there SG or AI would have taken the hit.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=DXB-LHR
https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/489843415002001408
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-crash-of-malaysian-airlines-flight-mh17.html

I also really dislike how other airlines have jumped on this in saying that they've do not fly this route anymore putting MH in bad light when in reality some of the airlines which have denied the route have actually flown over the route; in addition the absolute pointless comments and reassurances by airlines which NEVER fly over that specific airspace/route. Notably: Qantas (It only flies DXB-LHR which doesn't even touch that area). Moreover, in our day and age, technology allows us to get information quick. Now this is perfectly fine but when people start saying shit like black box being taken by separatists and Russians without actual confirmation is atrocious journalism. As the Guardian has reported the black box is in Ukrainian hands.

Black box found: report
Ukrainian emergency workers have found the plane's black box flight recorder, AFP reports.

It was earlier believed the recorder had been taken by pro-Russian separatists in the area. Link
Now from an international relations perspective, the news cycle has fundamentally pitted the world against RU. I'm not naive enough to believe that Russians had no involvement in the conflict. However, claiming Russian had direct involvement in this specific tragedy is a bit of a stretch. Furthermore, until I see specific proof that directly implicates the Russians in this tragedy and that they supplied the BUK SAMs I won't be drawing any specific conclusions. I believe there has also been news of the separatists taking control over an AA military installation (which did have BUK SAMs) in eastern Ukrainian so that makes things a bit more complicated. I really dislike the attitude that everyone has taken against Russia in the past 12 hours. My dislike for our PM may hinder my analysis of his approach towards diplomacy but his aggressive comments are doing no good other. The only good that come of it might just help his poll numbers in the coming months. His approach reminds me of hard line approach of the Americans. Except the Americans actually soft and hard power to back it up. If abbot really wanted to do something, maybe he should rescind the G20 invitation and expel the RU ambassador (its a bit hardcore though).

I recommend people to remain impartial when it comes to the blame game. In the world of international politics it's naive to believe that there is a right and wrong or everything is either black and white. Sure Russians are doing some aggressive shit but then again I understand that this region has been in geopolitical turmoil for ages. Its also understandable why Ukraine wanted to join the EU and NATO. So look at things from both sides. Try to be objective and understand the grand picture. The reality of this situation is that it is most likely a idiotic separatist that ended up firing the missile assuming that MH17 was a military aircraft.

Last edited:

rawrliongirl

HSC
this is unbelievable and seriously depressing. :'(
so many tragic things have happened this year..and its only getting worse and worse... seems like the world is going out of control and will end O.O

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Malaysia airlines is probably going to go bankrupt after this. Sad this is and MH370 is not really their fault and just terrible terrible luck.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Malaysia airlines is probably going to go bankrupt after this. Sad this is and MH370 is not really their fault and just terrible terrible luck.
They have been runnin at a loss for a long time

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
It's all about politics.
RIP to everyone especially the 8,10, 12 year old kids on the plane who died.

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
the world is slowly deteriorating......

this is it...

:(
trust me i know how it feels, after one my mom's uni friends died in 9/11... my heart breaks whenever I see my mom cry when she sees photos of her friend.

honey23

HSC
N/A
I cannot even begin to imagine the turmoil experienced by the family and friends of the deceased. I hope and pray that they are comforted and are well supported during this difficult time. Rest in peace :(

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
what doesnt get shown in the aussie media was that ukraine fascist govt set up a no fly zone over eastern ukraine held by "rebels", secondly the said "Rebels" dont have air missiles to hit a plane at 10000metres, also the fact you need to know how to use the missile system, which means only ukraine could have done it
That's Australian media for you.... The quality of journalism is terrible.

It's filled with sensationalism ...just look at A CURRENT AFFAIR, or THE HERALD

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
As someone that is a avid aviation hobbyist and an international relations student here's my 2c.

It is an extremely sad day. There was nothing fundamentally wrong with the airspace in which MH17 travelling in even more so when all the other massive airlines also flew within the same airspace. We're talking about SG/AI/LH/TG/ect. You could argue that it was poor risk assessment but in reality if MH17 wasn't there SG or AI would have taken the hit.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=DXB-LHR
https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/489843415002001408
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-crash-of-malaysian-airlines-flight-mh17.html

I also really dislike how other airlines have jumped on this in saying that they've do not fly this route anymore putting MH in bad light when in reality some of the airlines which have denied the route have actually flown over the route; in addition the absolute pointless comments and reassurances by airlines which NEVER fly over that specific airspace/route. Notably: Qantas (It only flies DXB-LHR which doesn't even touch that area). Moreover, in our day and age, technology allows us to get information quick. Now this is perfectly fine but when people start saying shit like black box being taken by separatists and Russians without actual confirmation is atrocious journalism. As the Guardian has reported the black box is in Ukrainian hands.

Now from an international relations perspective, the news cycle has fundamentally pitted the world against RU. I'm not naive enough to believe that Russians had no involvement in the conflict. However, claiming Russian had direct involvement in this specific tragedy is a bit of a stretch. Furthermore, until I see specific proof that directly implicates the Russians in this tragedy and that they have BUK SAMs I won't be drawing any specific conclusions. I believe there has also been news of the separatists taking control over an AA military installation (which did have BUK SAMs) in eastern Ukrainian so that makes things a bit more complicated. I really dislike the attitude that everyone has taken against Russia in the past 12 hours. My dislike for our PM may hinder my analysis of his approach towards diplomacy but his aggressive comments are doing no good other. The only good that come of it might just help his poll numbers in the coming months. His approach reminds me of hard line approach of the Americans. Except the Americans actually soft and hard power to back it up. If abbot really wanted to do something, maybe he should rescind the G20 invitation and expel the RU ambassador (its a bit hardcore though).

I recommend people to remain impartial when it comes to the blame game. In the world of international politics it's naive to believe that there is a right and wrong or everything is either black and white. Sure Russians are doing some aggressive shit but then again I understand that this region has been in geopolitical turmoil for ages. Its also understandable why Ukraine wanted to join the EU and NATO. So look at things from both sides. Try to be objective and understand the grand picture. The reality of this situation is that it is most likely a idiotic separatist that ended up firing the missile assuming that MH17 was a military aircraft.
Truth!

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
That's Australian media for you.... The quality of journalism is terrible.

It's filled with sensationalism ...just look at A CURRENT AFFAIR, or THE HERALD
um

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)