religious justification of sex (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
ella_fitzgerald said:
think about it, we didnt expect the annopheles mosquito to mutate and become resistant to DDT and other chemicals, but it did.
Ok, I wasn't going to bring this up, but it's called evolution honey...

ella_fitzgerald said:
yeah im sure you could toast marshmallows in there, assuming they had marshmallows in hell...
Yes!!! Anyone be joining me in my marshmallow toasting?

HSC
but they fucked after they were married

and yeah evolution happens, how groovy. but we didnt expect it to. we thought DDT would cure everything, thats wat im saying.. we didnt expect it cos our scientific knowledge is limited. so science encourages us to say nothing is definately absolute.. sweetie its called the THEORY of evolution for a reason.. we cant know for sure! so in a similar manner, since we didnt expect miracles they could have happened and we cant know for sure that they didnt.

Last edited:
L

LaraB

ella_fitzgerald said:
Right from the very beginning of the Bible, it is evident that God wants sex to be within marriage. For when Adam and Eve are in the Garden of Eden it is once the two have become united (in marriage) that they become one in flesh – NOT BEFORE.
Genesis 2: 24 For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.
Following this there are examples all throughout the Bible of avoiding sexual immorality, that is, sex outside of a marriage. God sees sex as so valuable that it has to be kept for the right person.

For Christians, your boyfriend/girlfriend is someone else’s future husband/wife – God wants us to respect that: 2 Timothy 2:22 says Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

Here is evidence from the bible that God wants us to avoid sexual immorality, that is, sex outside of marriage:

Galatians 5:19-25 19The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. 25Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.

1 Corinthians 6: 9-11 9Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders 10nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

And then 18-20
18Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a man commits are outside his body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body. 19Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20you were bought at a price. Therefore honour God with your body.

1 Thessalonians 4
Living to Please God
1Finally, brothers, we instructed you how to live in order to please God, as in fact you are living. Now we ask you and urge you in the Lord Jesus to do this more and more. 2For you know what instructions we gave you by the authority of the Lord Jesus.
3It is God's will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality; 4that each of you should learn to control his own body in a way that is holy and honorable, 5not in passionate lust like the heathen, who do not know God; 6and that in this matter no one should wrong his brother or take advantage of him. The Lord will punish men for all such sins, as we have already told you and warned you. 7For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life. 8Therefore, he who rejects this instruction does not reject man but God, who gives you his Holy Spirit.
as i said before - no where does it say "sex before marriage is a sin"

all of the examples you gave, fair enough you believe they support your view becvause that's how you interpret them...

but that's all it is - an interpretation... you have no way of knowing that that's what was the intended meaning for such phrases....

HSC
ok so flee from sexual immorality has another meaning?
like.. avoid russians?
OH I SEE. thanks for clarifying the really apparent alternative meaning.

L

LaraB

walrusbear said:
hahahah so true

as for the opening post
not all christians are fundamentalist and believe in more important things than a rigid concern for 'no sex before marriage' stuff

question for those who are christian or know about this stuff - isnt no sex before marriage/no contraception and all that stuff a version of Catholicism - by that i mean, certain gropus or catholics and certain popes were real heavy on this but some are like meh either way its no big deal...

i know for a fact its not a "Christian" thing....

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
ella_fitzgerald said:
ok, so the point of this thread really is to find out why people who say they are living for Christ would deliberately live against what Christ lays out in the Bible... it dun bother me if you dun think god exists or the bible exists and stuff but if you're a christian i'd like to know what you think.. thats not to say i dun wana kno wat u ppl think if you totally dun think god exists, im just saying mayb this isnt the rite thread
I'm Christian, and have had sex.

I don't feel guilty in any sort of way.

Simply because I loved one of God's creations with all my heart and expressed it physically. God won't condemn me for loving someone so.

I could go on about how religious constructs have changed over the years to suit society's needs and how its man-made. Whatever, the Bible is God Breathed, well religion isn't. It's man interpreted, and as far as I'm concerned, I don't believe that Christians that drill the fact that sex before marriage is terrible, and that abortion is wrong, that gay people are sinful and believe they are right have not taken a step back are truly Christian, especially when they justify their faith by saying that they go to church on Sunday. I don't want to associate myself with these people, that cannot be a loving, open minded Christian, rather than a fundamentalist Christian. if God was a good God, then he would favour the open-minded Christian simply because of the baser values such as love, tolerance, and respect.

You may say that fundamentalist Christians who follow all these rules are also loving and open minded, but as far as I am concerned, I have always come across their decisions to be somewhat surprising eg: they would force a 9 year old daughter who was raped into abortion. They follow the rules so blindly that they do not care who gets hurt.

The world is far too complicated to be set down a line of rules that mark out right or wrong.

God would know better than to do that.

The End.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
ella_fitzgerald said:

and yeah evolution happens, how groovy. but we didnt expect it to. we thought DDT would cure everything, thats wat im saying.. we didnt expect it cos our scientific knowledge is limited. so science encourages us to say nothing is definately absolute.. sweetie its called the THEORY of evolution for a reason.. we cant know for sure! so in a similar manner, since we didnt expect miracles they could have happened and we cant know for sure that they didnt.

And therefore each different religion is a different theory. The bible only outlines a certain THEORY....you cannot know for sure! Therefore its stupid to let it dictate your life.

L

LaraB

ella_fitzgerald said:
ok so flee from sexual immorality has another meaning?
like.. avoid russians?
OH I SEE. thanks for clarifying the really apparent alternative meaning.
go look up the meaning of immorality..

sexual immorality does not have on emeaning..

this could mean no sex before marriage but you have no way of being sure that it does..

it could mean don't have gay sex, don't have sex with someone else while youre married, don't sleep around, don't screw animals, don't screw til you're 'legal', don't have sex while you're drunk and don't know what you're doing, don't have sex as a means to manipulate people etc etc etc

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
sexual immorality can be having many sexual partners at once

its vague. its a group category that has by no means suggested meaning no sex before marriage. you simply used this to suit your argument, just as religion as set many parts of the bible to suit society's needs.

IF YOU WERE A REAL CHRISTIAN and wanted to argue effectively, you would refer to the New Testament.

The Old is to be taken in a didactic level ie: morals and messages. Adam and Eve was to emphasise that God created us ALL. and other such morals.

Last edited:
L

LaraB

ella_fitzgerald said:

yes its only a theory but it has real scientific proof...

it isn't merely one interpretatino of a bunch of words in a book thst itslef had not been 'proven' to be 100% true in either its content of conception...

yes scientific knowledge is limited... so what? that doesn't devalue asserted/evidenced scientific theories...

you cannot compare 'miracles' to an expectation of naturally occurring events because the principles behinds each are different, and one can be explained scientifically/factually and the other can't....

L

LaraB

ogmzergrush said:
I thought it was painfully obvious that it meant "Don't have sex with goats, unless they're asking for it".
lol only goats?:p

Minifish

Ghost
HSC
I am a christian, and i am a virgin. I personally think that it depends alot on what denomination you identify yourself with, ie. the denomination of the church you attend, if you do indeed attend a church, as to what the basis of the morals the church has told u to believe and if they place more weighting upon some then on others.

Personally, i find the Bible gives me some good moral GUIDELINES, with which i can then base my morals off and around. I think that Islam has some good moral values, that the Humanist Manifesto outlines some decent things which i cant call wrong, and that there are other things in this world which can dictate our morals.

I was raised in a christian home and have gone ot church all my life. A number of years ago i made the actual step from being a born christian to a born-again christian, after i had thought about the immediate things involved and if i agree with them. I dont have to go to church anymore, i choose to. I dont have to be a christian anymore, but i choose to, because it makes sense to me. I dont care if it doesnt make sense to alot of you out there, it's called a difference of opinion, and from my studies of the bible and the teachings i receive at church and other documents and people that i have read and talked to, it just makes sense to me.

I have a girlfriend, and we have been together for over 20months. Both her and I are christians, both her and I are virgins, and both her and I agree that we should save our virginity until after we have been united with each other in marriage. Why? Because it makes sense to us. It would be too hard to let go if we were to break up, something or someone was to come between us, or indeed, if one of us kicked the bucket.

I can list off some bible verses and my interpretations, but most of you people wont give a damn and i will only receive critisism for my beliefs, so i will say this:

- To you who started this, i believe that sex is a sacred act of a physical, mental, and spiritual connection, and should only be performed with marriage. I believe that you should go however far you want to above the waist, but that doing things below the waist is too much of a temptation to go on to other things.

- To the rest of you, believe what makes sense to you. To all the atheists out there, i would recommend you take a look at the Humanist Manifesto, probably version 3 as it's the most simplified version, and consider becoming a humanist. They have some decent values and 'beliefs' that you'll probably agree with. Dont have to listen, just a suggestion.

- I do believe in evolutionary adaption, though not in the Dawinian theory evolution, ie. apes turning into man or anything. The whole thing just doesnt match up in my mind. I know alot of you will say that about religion, but i have my own experiences that affirm my christian beliefs in my mind.

- As for the evidence of everything, well...it is hard to prove the miracles and outworkings of a religion based upon faith. Yes, parts of the bible have been historically proven, but what about the miracles? Most of it is judged by personal experience, and such, so unless you've been through a big healing experience or some such thing, or had a revelation or something of the sort, it is hard to prove. So, to the christians who believe, stay strong. To the non-christians, good luck with life.

Thank you, and good day to you all.

Last edited:

hipPo3

HSC
ella_fitzgerald said:
As a virgin and a Christian i look at my friends who are non-virgins and are christian and i just wonder how they justify what happened. i mean, God designed it to be special, to be enjoyed and to be between two people who love each other and who will be together forever ie husband and wife.
so for anyone who's a christian and has had sex, what's your view? whats your justification?
and for those of you who are still virgins, and are christians, how far do you go before you draw the line?
im interested in what people have to say..
is it just to christians ? .. there are alot of other religions out there that also forbid sexual immorality ...
as an athiest and non virgin type.. id just like to say, dont knock something u havent or might ever not do. those that save themselves for thier perfect match sometimes end up very dissapionted. Besides .. sex is a natural instinct .. didnt God create nature? .. therefore what we do with our bodies is only following the way it is intended.

HSC
ur_inner_child said:
IF YOU WERE A REAL CHRISTIAN and wanted to argue effectively, you would refer to the New Testament.

can i just quickly point out that in the verses i gave, four out of five were from the new testament: galatians, 1 corinthians, 1 thessalonians and 2 timothy. maybe you didnt know this because you dont read your bible and hence you think having sex outside marriage is ok because God wants you to love everything. God created mankind to love animals; does that mean you're going to have sex with them?
A real Christian would want to live in a way pleasing to God outlined in His word, the Bible. That is, you would live by what he has established not only to please Him but also to look after yourself, because God wants what is best for us. His word says dont have sex outside marriage. thats the point of this thread. Im not sure what makes you think that im not a "real" christian, aside from that you didnt see my four references from the new testament. maybe you need new eyes?

hipPo3

HSC
ella .. the bible wasnt written by god ... hell it was even written by anyone that knew jessus.

did u know jesus had a wife ? .. her name was apparently mary .. what a conikidence

hipPo3

HSC
maan ... kangaroo if God does exist and there where a heaven, i would s0o0o get in .. and when i do, ima gonna rub it in ur lame ass face hobo

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
kangaroo said:
sex before marriage / premarital sex is repeatedly condemned in Scripture (Acts 15:20; Romans 1:29; 1 Corinthians 5:1; 6:13,18; 7:2; 10:8; 12:21; Galatians 5:19; Ephesians 5:3; Colossians 3:5; 1 Thessalonians 4:3; Jude 7).
Sex between a married man and wife is the only form of sexual relations that God approves of (Hebrews 13:4).
And also the bible strictly says that the only sex allowed is BETWEEN A MARRIED MAN AND WOMAN. I don't know of many other ways you can interpret that.
So for all those people who sin by having pre-marital sex, can't really use the excuse "but I interpreted it differently to you"
Oh no. Not you!

I'm surprised you're not banned already. I don't interpret it differently, because I don't interpret it at all. I'm athiest but I don't ridicule other people's religious beliefs. I don't give a flying duck about what God approves of, but if someone else does, I still respect them. I guess that makes me a generally more likeable person than you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)