Save sex? (1 Viewer)

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Uh... Chad, Mary Mag. actually was a prostitute.

You know what annoys me about Christians? How they all spell 'him' as 'Him'. As if God gives a fuck about something as petty as capitalisation.

Oh, and also:

Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
adultery [əˈdaltəri] noun
sexual intercourse between a husband and a woman who is not his wife or between a wife and a man who is not her husband.

Adultery is not premarital sex.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Uh... Chad, Mary Mag. actually was a prostitute.
Uh... Alleycat, there is no/pathetic scriptual support for that statement.

To help you out:

Luke 7
37When a woman who had lived a sinful life in that town learned that Jesus was eating at the Pharisee's house, she brought an alabaster jar of perfume, 38and as she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them.

Then, next chapter.

Luke 8
1After this, Jesus traveled about from one town and village to another, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom of God. The Twelve were with him, 2and also some women who had been cured of evil spirits and diseases: Mary (called Magdalene) from whom seven demons had come out;

That's the best connection that has been offered up for her being a prostitute... Tell me, does it read that way to you? Many have hypothesised that the reason she was demonised and labelled a prostitute was because the male hierarchy of the church didn't like a powerful female figure.

Surely you've heard all this before, I believe it's a part (one of the few solid parts, I'm not a fan) of the Da Vinci Code.

Last edited:

SamTan*06*

All alone in a memory! I was beautiful theeeen....
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Given you're so certain of your belief, I have the same problem for you that I've posed to others before, I'd be very greatful if you could answer it:

If you were to find out a faithful christian friend was going to die and she would recieve pain killers that would eliminate any pain death could bring her, would you feel the same as if she was telling you she was going away for a trip to the behamas and will never come back? I somehow imagine you'd be rather more upset than that.

I'd argue that's because you don't believe in the afterlife anymore than I do, you just hope it's true.
I would be more upset if my Christian friend whent to the Behamas forever than if she was going to die. Because she'd find eternal bliss with her loving Lord and Saviour if she died. Why would I be upset about that?

From the posts I have read by you, relating to religion, I'm guess that your not a religious person. Maybe your agnostic, I dont know. But what make you think that i 'dont believe in an afterlife' any more than you?? Mabey you didn't read my response right. I said faith a lot. Faith is stronger than belief. I have faith that in death, I'll be re-united with my creator.

If one calls themselves a passionate Christian (as I like to) how can they only hope that there is an afterlife? How can they not be 100% sure?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Faith is a subset of belief, and is a weak kind because it lacks any supporting evidence.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I would be more upset if my Christian friend whent to the Behamas forever than if she was going to die. Because she'd find eternal bliss with her loving Lord and Saviour if she died. Why would I be upset about that?
haha wow, if you're serious and not just defending your faith at all costs, you're a fanatic and i'm slightly worried for you.

From the posts I have read by you, relating to religion, I'm guess that your not a religious person. Maybe your agnostic, I dont know
I'm an atheist. I'm about as agnostic about God as I am fairies at the bottom of my garden.

But what make you think that i 'dont believe in an afterlife' any more than you??
Most believers would say on honest reflection that they'd much prefer their friend went to the behamas. I know this because I've seen and heard how upset the staunchest of 'believers' can get at funerals of other staunch believers. I'm still not convinced, even after your claim that you'd be happier, that you're being sincere. A big part of 'faith' is to wildly defend it, even if that means taking up some positions you normally wouldn't consider.

But I have no way to prove that, so we'll probably have to leave that there.

I said faith a lot. Faith is stronger than belief. I have faith that in death, I'll be re-united with my creator.
Faith is generally described as 'a strong belief', to call it something other than belief would be to ignore what the word belief means. I'd actually call faith an overpowering hope, when there is no evidence for belief.

If one calls themselves a passionate Christian (as I like to) how can they only hope that there is an afterlife? How can they not be 100% sure?
Well because there's not the evidence there to be 100% sure, but no matter the argument here, I'm sure you'll agree most believers out there don't exhibit the signs that they are happier about a close friends death than a close friend moving to the behamas.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
SamTan*06* said:
If your friend was to live for 40 years in incredible pain for every second of her life, and prior to this she had lived a good, Christian life, would you sacrifice your own afterlife to euthinase her?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I don't think that's much of a challenge, it's obvious that she'd let her friend suffer 40 years than let herself suffer eternity. It would show she's rather calous (I don't think she really is, but i could be wrong) but we've seen already she's willing to come off as a fairly odd person in order to defend her faith (Someone that prefers to hear someone's dying than moving away? :/)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
But the Christian thing to do would be to help others. Therefore you have a conflict.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
How does prayer help?

I'm really confused over that.

God doesn't love you enough just to help you so first you have to sacrifice your time and effort to pray a lot to him? And the more you pray, the more chance you'll have of whatever you want happening?

lengy

HSC
bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha pray bahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaha oh that's gold.

HSC
this very argument here is what kills me about religion, as right as it may seem theres just these little potholes big enough too drive a car through that make it seem flawed

"I said faith a lot. Faith is stronger than belief. I have faith that in death, I'll be re-united with my creator."

you realise bible talks about when body dies so does the soul, and your only reunited with your created after armegeddon [when most people are resurced]. give revelations a look.

another thing that mcshits me is that i am told if i dont dedicate myself too god church every day etc. i will not be ressurected, but hey mr joe blow who died 500 yrs ago could of done nothing but throw spears at animals, fornicate or whatever. but because he's died, (and lived his life) its fine he is ressurected. someone like me never stealing, do my best too try and keep a clean life isnt worth considering too someone just cause hes already carked it.... that seems so dodgy too me and thats what killed off my faith

Last edited:

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Exactly. Plotholes such as "hey, I'll believe what the Bible says about adultery and shun those who have premarital sex, but I'll totally ignore that passage in the Old Testament [don't know where, but it's there - laughed and laughed when I first read it. NIV, by the way] that says it's a father's God-given right to sleep with their daughters".

*shakes head*

SamTan*06*

HSC
Tulipa said:
How does prayer help?

I'm really confused over that.

God doesn't love you enough just to help you so first you have to sacrifice your time and effort to pray a lot to him? And the more you pray, the more chance you'll have of whatever you want happening?
It goes back to the whole "if God loves His children so much, why do we suffer?" It's beyond explanation why God just doesn't do what we ask straight away, or even before we ask. But yea, praying helps. Sometimes, it mite just be God's plan that this person suffer. Once again, its unexplainable. We have faith that God will hear us and help us. But it all comes down to God's plan.

SamTan*06*

HSC
Casmira said:
this very argument here is what kills me about religion, as right as it may seem theres just these little potholes big enough too drive a car through that make it seem flawed

"I said faith a lot. Faith is stronger than belief. I have faith that in death, I'll be re-united with my creator."

you realise bible talks about when body dies so does the soul, and your only reunited with your created after armegeddon [when most people are resurced]. give revelations a look.

another thing that mcshits me is that i am told if i dont dedicate myself too god church every day etc. i will not be ressurected, but hey mr joe blow who died 500 yrs ago could of done nothing but throw spears at animals, fornicate or whatever. but because he's died, (and lived his life) its fine he is ressurected. someone like me never stealing, do my best too try and keep a clean life isnt worth considering too someone just cause hes already carked it.... that seems so dodgy too me and thats what killed off my faith
Its a pitty that you lost your faith. I dont know what to say about that. Maybe you pastor or whatever whent about stuff the wrong way.

Yea, I know that its after armageddon we go to heaven, but Jesus said "there is now no condemnation for those in Christ"

waterphaerie

HSC
Casmira said:
I think that's a very valid point, and often it gets to me too- it's like- there are so many "good" people- people who try hard, don't hurt others deliberately, have never stolen etc; And yet someone who might've killed other people, if they say sorry to God, they'll be in heaven.

The best analogy for trying to explain it i've heard is that heaven is like a birthday party. When you have a birthday party, who do you invite? You generally invite people you know, people you're friends with, so they can celebrate with you. You don't invite someone just cos they seem like a "nice person" - usually you know the people you invite.

It's the same with God. The people who come to his "party" are the people he knows, not everyone who is a good person but doesnt know him.

Hope that helped.

crystaliced

so ... do u like stuff?
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Surely you've heard all this before, I believe it's a part (one of the few solid parts, I'm not a fan) of the Da Vinci Code.
must remember the da vinci code is fiction based on assumptions im a catholic i was always told that magdalene was a prostitute never liked reading conflicting things such as the bible and yeah your right about what you said about hope it was my mistake lol lost words anyways whatever she chooses to do she can always justify if there ever was a judgement day that she chose to love an that the bible preaches loving one another and i guess love can also refer to sex?

crystaliced

so ... do u like stuff?
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Erm but clearly some people don't need to hold onto a belief.

oh everyone hjas a belief even if its a belief that they dont believe in anythin technically thats still believing in something =3 or some one believeing that vegetables are good/bad for them still a belief

ohh btw anyone good in legal studies that will be nice enuff to help me out lol soz..

HSC
waterphaerie said:
I think that's a very valid point, and often it gets to me too- it's like- there are so many "good" people- people who try hard, don't hurt others deliberately, have never stolen etc; And yet someone who might've killed other people, if they say sorry to God, they'll be in heaven.

The best analogy for trying to explain it i've heard is that heaven is like a birthday party. When you have a birthday party, who do you invite? You generally invite people you know, people you're friends with, so they can celebrate with you. You don't invite someone just cos they seem like a "nice person" - usually you know the people you invite.

It's the same with God. The people who come to his "party" are the people he knows, not everyone who is a good person but doesnt know him.

Hope that helped.
so all the few girls i helped stop killin themselves, taking drugs etc. that just is no good in his books? does that not make me worthy of the party ? if i knew of someone doing something, id invite the bloke with open ups even if he had no idea who i was and this isnt a party, this is apparently everlasting life, something that god can hand out too everyone, or nobody his choice. it isnt like limited stocks.

like i said, if god finds it justifiable that me stopping people killing themselves, etc. isnt worthy of it; while a rapist being hung is worthy and finds that "more rememberable"; then how does that sound like a fair god? something is flawed, theres always gonna be big holes in the bible that make no sense [like this]. you cant fill every single one up with faith

btw you dont just say sorry and you're in heaven, the only way you are ressurected is either dedicate yourself in god or die for your sins simple as that. most people taking the latter course (unoptionally). and when you are ressurected it isnt in heaven, you all know its just earth remade. (check revelations again); im pretty sure mentions something like new paradise on EARTH

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
SamTan*06* said:
It goes back to the whole "if God loves His children so much, why do we suffer?" It's beyond explanation why God just doesn't do what we ask straight away, or even before we ask. But yea, praying helps. Sometimes, it mite just be God's plan that this person suffer. Once again, its unexplainable. We have faith that God will hear us and help us. But it all comes down to God's plan.
You would make a great politician.
Answer the question.
How does prayer help?
Citing "God's plan" is not an answer.

ready..

GO!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)