school captain/prefects thoughts (1 Viewer)

Aplus

HSC
N/A
sikhman said:
wow....our selection process involves an interview with the headmaster and rankings by teachers....no voting etc..

but captains have to give lots of speeches :)
That's a lot better than voting because you get captains and prefects who are actually motivated, committed and hardworking role models.

qmaz

HSC
for those giving speeches, please do not harp on about your achievements too much, its should contain 60% humour and 40% self-achievements maximum. otherwise people might get bored and/or call you stuck up

if anyone wants the speech i used, ask, but it contains 98% humour

Devouree

Good names already taken.
HSC
sikhman said:
but also captains who don't get any respect....although to be a captain (at our school) you pretty much have to be in the 1sts for a sport.....and most of them have been cuo's, and are generally liked by the majority of the school....
lol, i wonder how many people here actually understand what a CUO is...

And yeah, at my school (which has a cadet unit of 64 posted strength :(, not really comparable to your 500~900 unit strength, with your 70+ positions for CUOs as compared to our single one....), it used to be that every year the captain/vice-captain/senior captain would have to be a SNCO/WO/CUO in the unit. And nearly all the more senior cadets would get in...

Aplus

HSC
N/A
sikhman said:
but also captains who don't get any respect....although to be a captain (at our school) you pretty much have to be in the 1sts for a sport.....and most of them have been cuo's, and are generally liked by the majority of the school....
What's cuo?

HSC
I'm going for vice at my school...i have to do a speech next week :S
But, do any current captains think it will cut into my study time too much?
Thanks

itadakimus

procrastinator
HSC
My school system works something like this.
You nominate yourself first and then the students in your grade vote first. Then the top 20 [or maybe 50? I can't remember] go to vote by the whole school.

I think the teachers do not get a vote but if they feel a student is inappropriately suited for the role due to past misbehavoiur, they obviously can and will disqualify them from running. Even if they are coming first in votes.
However, our school gives us a 'clean slate' at the end of Year 10 so if you're gonna be naughty, do it while you're a junior!

bettina44

HSC
qmaz said:
for those giving speeches, please do not harp on about your achievements too much, its should contain 60% humour and 40% self-achievements maximum. otherwise people might get bored and/or call you stuck up

if anyone wants the speech i used, ask, but it contains 98% humour
ooo can we see?

My school system works something like this.
You nominate yourself first and then the students in your grade vote first. Then the top 20 [or maybe 50? I can't remember] go to vote by the whole school.

I think the teachers do not get a vote but if they feel a student is inappropriately suited for the role due to past misbehavoiur, they obviously can and will disqualify them from running. Even if they are coming first in votes.
However, our school gives us a 'clean slate' at the end of Year 10 so if you're gonna be naughty, do it while you're a junior!
at my school not a lot of people are that enuthasiastic(seriously 50?),there are 2 captains places and 8 senior mentor places,i checked out the list of who i'm up against and there's only 17 people.do the maths and i have a 50% of being senior mentor and i like those odds

imoO

HSC
School captainincy nominations

Hello,

Yes, I know, there are prob about 2-3 other threads out there asking for help, and I'm just another person in the same boat!. I'm over the thought that it might affect my HSC, because I only live one life, and I may regret not going for it later. I have nothing to lose anyway...

Okay, here's what's going on;

I have to write 150 words for my school captain nomination, and it will be published in my weekly school newsletter for all the students to read. Voting for a short list be will done (I'm not too sure whether it's students or staff body, but I assume it is students first because of the newsletter). After the shortlist, there will be interviews.

I know for a fact I 'have a greater chance' because I am part of the SRC, but to back that up, I'm also part of the Environmental committee. We go around patrolling rooms once a week and embarrass teachers at assembly :D.

I have also contributed to the establishment of microwaves, something that has been abused in the past but we have brought them back. I've only been at this school from the beginning of this year, because at the end of year 10, our school transfers all of us to a senior campus that holds only year 11 and 12.

I just need to know whether I should be trying to win over the votes? Or whether I should act professionally. If so, can you give me some examples?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much in advanced,

imoO

SimonLee13

HSC
Re: School captainincy nominations

I think personality+character has a lot to do with it; how well you're liked in the school is probably the largest factor and not just your ability to perform the role of Captain. As you said you had a "greater chance" which I doubt unless the SRC actually is respected in your school?

Btw, most people already would have already formed a decision on captaincy before your hand, which is not going to be changed easily by a speech.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

My advice is: don't ever appear to be desperate for the captaincy. I have few people at our school who are like that and I don't think they have muh chance because of that. That desperation leaves a poor impression to others and those kids that I mentioned earlier left pretty poor impression for fellow mates and they are not definitely voting for them. So NEVER verbally express your desire for the position. If someone is saying that you will get a captaincy or stuff like that, politely deny that. If you build on their statements, that's not a good thing.

Also, be professional about it and try to avoid the conversations where you go "Vote for me" or "Don't vote him" or "He is not the right person to be a perfect/captain/whatever".

On top of that, conduct like you always have. Don't suddenly act nice or act dickhead-ly (which are noticeable significantly). That leaves a message to fellow mates that you are trying to get some votes. However, always get involved in some works where some recognition can be given upon you (but recognition itself must come from teaches or someone else). Always engage in helping others. If others have exams or other things, help them. Get yourself involved whenever possible however, that should not show any sign of desperation.

For me, I am just doing what I have been doing in the past 2 years. I occassionally help others in the library and that sometimes leaves a good impression. I also try not to stand out too much like some at my school. I am quite a quiet achiever. I think that heped me to be short-listed for the prefect/captaincy.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC

lyounamu said:
My advice is: don't ever appear to be desperate for the captaincy. I have few people at our school who are like that and I don't think they have muh chance because of that. That desperation leaves a poor impression to others and those kids that I mentioned earlier left pretty poor impression for fellow mates and they are not definitely voting for them. So NEVER verbally express your desire for the position. If someone is saying that you will get a captaincy or stuff like that, politely deny that. If you build on their statements, that's not a good thing.

Also, be professional about it and try to avoid the conversations where you go "Vote for me" or "Don't vote him" or "He is not the right person to be a perfect/captain/whatever".

On top of that, conduct like you always have. Don't suddenly act nice or act dickhead-ly (which are noticeable significantly). That leaves a message to fellow mates that you are trying to get some votes. However, always get involved in some works where some recognition can be given upon you (but recognition itself must come from teaches or someone else). Always engage in helping others. If others have exams or other things, help them. Get yourself involved whenever possible however, that should not show any sign of desperation.

For me, I am just doing what I have been doing in the past 2 years. I occassionally help others in the library and that sometimes leaves a good impression. I also try not to stand out too much like some at my school. I am quite a quiet achiever. I think that heped me to be short-listed for the prefect/captaincy.
Double edged sword really. Desperation kind of shows that you really want the position, but also shows that you're insecure like you NEED it (hence, don't deserve it?)

HSC

well, from experience i say the students at ur school and ur teachers would already have their mind made up. chances are what u do around the school for the school would affect how the teachers vote. as for the general student body, if they like u, think your a good person with a good personality, then they will vote for you.

good luck ;)

Aplus

HSC
N/A

Also don't go for that clichéd campaign of, "I'll make changes and do all this. I'll improve the system etc." It's school captaincy, not Parliament.

HSC

Aplus said:
Also don't go for that clichéd campaign of, "I'll make changes and do all this. I'll improve the system etc." It's school captaincy, not Parliament.
good point ;)

what ur going for is going to be different from src per say... the src is for changes, representation of the student body. As captain however, ur the representation for the school, meaning you will love the school no matter what:D lol... not saying u cant affect change... but ur part would be more of comfority.... also look after ur own grade too would be a good thing ;)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

Aplus said:
Haha. It's not like Prefects do that sorta thing anyway (well, not at our school).

bettina44

HSC

my no. one tip:
make your speech funny
but not too funny that it makes you seem as if you don't take the role of captain seroiusly.i have to disagree with some of you guys who say that people already make up their minds as to who they're going to vote for-its not really a popularity contest.i know that people definately wouldn't of voted for me if they already made up thier minds (as i am not exactly the most popular person in school),if anything i only got votes for my half funny speech.

in terms of what you do,for me i have gate duty once a week where i have the honour and the previlage of telling the juniors to unroll their skirts,roll down their socks and pull their bands up and formal assembly once a term but we don't really do anything besides passing awards and sitting on the stage to make it look pretty.its not really a lot and it depends on the school you go to.

HSC

bettina44 said:
my no. one tip:
make your speech funny
but not too funny that it makes you seem as if you don't take the role of captain seroiusly.i have to disagree with some of you guys who say that people already make up their minds as to who they're going to vote for-its not really a popularity contest.i know that people definately wouldn't of voted for me if they already made up thier minds (as i am not exactly the most popular person in school),if anything i only got votes for my half funny speech.

in terms of what you do,for me i have gate duty once a week where i have the honour and the previlage of telling the juniors to unroll their skirts,roll down their socks and pull their bands up and formal assembly once a term but we don't really do anything besides passing awards and sitting on the stage to make it look pretty.its not really a lot and it depends on the school you go to.
who says it is a popularity contest? lol just because ur liked, doesnt mean ur 'popular', i think theres always a negative cornatation to that term.... i dont think that term even exists in our grade anymore. it just means that those who've known you and know your good personality will most likely put a tick next to you.

we get a homeroom of yr 7's, yr 7 camp, leaders retreat, organise christmas concert, school patron day, yr 12 affairs and lots of mass/litergys, assemblies, canteen etc... definatly does depend on ur school ;)

imoO

HSC

It's not a speech!!!

It's a self nomination 150 words, and it's going to be posted in our newsletter, and student body will vote via that. There will be no speech.....I think....anyway...lol

Let's just hope I get short-listed on the nominations before we care about speeches.....anyone else with advice?

Here's my first crack at it-
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G’day,
I would like to express my gratitude towards everybody that has given me the courage to do this. Instead of self promotion, I would rather offer everybody a piece of advice, I mean seriously, where is being fake now going to get you?
As a part of the SRC since the very beginning of the year, a change from my laidback Balmain days, I have an idea of what a school captain does, but as the old phrase says ‘you don’t know him unless you’ve walked a thousand miles in his shoes’. The SRC is for changes and represents the student body, while a school captain is representing your school. Over the next few weeks, I am sure you will find a few people who are going to change the way they act of behave around certain individuals, and especially teachers that may vote. I want to make it clear to you all that you should look out for these people, and ask yourself, ‘Do I really want this person to represent our school’? ‘Does he know what school captains do?’
Your judgement should not have been made in the weeks leading up to this, but well before this campaign began. Your votes will be made useful if you voted for somebody who actually is serious about getting this job, rather than putting on display a fake personality to win a popularity contest.
Your vote will be one that will change a person’s life forever.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

Last edited:

asdf.cosmo

HSC

To be honest, it sounds a little negative. Like, "you should wake up and chose a captain who is serious about being captain, not just because you like them." You should make it about you - not everyone else. You should explain why you'd be a good representative of the school and a good captain - explain that people can depend on you, that you're always there for people to talk to you about issues, etc.

Good luck, though! I'm going for captain as well.

bettina44

HSC

imoO said:
It's not a speech!!!

It's a self nomination 150 words, and it's going to be posted in our newsletter, and student body will vote via that. There will be no speech.....I think....anyway...lol
my bad,then make your self nomination thingy funny.btw its looks good so far. gl

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)