Semester 2 USYD Chatter Thread 2013 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
Fucking hell. Completely and utterly sick of it. Im sick of getting atrocious abuse for walking to my classes, Im sick of having my entry onto the campus blocked and cop even more abuse for simply trying to get through. Im sick of being made to feel like some inferior insect for choosing to go to close, Im sick of lecturers having to rush material, because we missed the time where they could teach it properly because of strike days.

I support your right to strike but I simply ask to be allowed to make my own decisions and chose to go to class and not be affected because of it.

ADrew

HSC
Uni Grad
is the draft exam timetable out yet cause i cant find it anywhere

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
i was just looking for the election thingy
I could never find it last year. Haha

Everyone on my fb was like cray cray about something
I'm just like "it's just uni politics, it doesn't matter ~that~ much"
I just really didn't want Amelie to win. Mostly because whenever she came in to any of my lectures to talk she wouldn't shut up and the lecturers basically had to tell her to get out. Also because one of her major policies is legalising same sex marriage. Don't get me wrong, I support it but the fact is that the SRC has absolutely no power, or influence to do anything about it so it's entirely irrelevant. Same things goes for her refugee rights policy.
so jen light should win?
Yep, confirmed I believe.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I just really didn't want Amelie to win. Mostly because whenever she came in to any of my lectures to talk she wouldn't shut up and the lecturers basically had to tell her to get out. Also because one of her major policies is legalising same sex marriage. Don't get me wrong, I support it but the fact is that the SRC has absolutely no power, or influence to do anything about it so it's entirely irrelevant. Same things goes for her refugee rights policy.

Was this a grassroots person?

Last year they were all like "we need to legalise marijuana" when they ran for union board or something with Raue

and like

i was just

so fucking

dumbfouded

As to how they thought that would happen

just at uni or something??

like wot??

enoilgam

HSC
Also because one of her major policies is legalising same sex marriage. Don't get me wrong, I support it but the fact is that the SRC has absolutely no power, or influence to do anything about it so it's entirely irrelevant.
Why on earth would someone running for SRC at USyd have this as a policy? I support same sex marriage as well, but I think it's extremely pretentious to have this as a policy - I'd probably chalk it down to pandering for votes.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

I was so annoyed when people were like 'none of the others believe in same-sex marrriage", it was more like 99% of us do but we just keep our policies within the realms of what the SRC can more likely logistically do. But it was an extreme rallying point to get a lot of people on the ground helping, even defection from other campaign teams for it. Grassroots people have a great hunger and passion that I'd think that they'd make excellent councillors though.

Stand up had the Stand up for refugees policy, that wasn't Grassroots though perhaps Grassroots did have something on asylum seekers as well? Again good luck doing much for refugees with this government on a uni SRC rofl.

Wonder who will end up on the 33 council positions in the end.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Why on earth would someone running for SRC at USyd have this as a policy? I support same sex marriage as well, but I think it's extremely pretentious to have this as a policy - I'd probably chalk it down to pandering for votes.
Haha I know, what a joke. But I guess student politics is a bit of a joke. The SRC at UTS had international students being eligible for student concession as one of their main policies and coincidentally it happened like a couple of weeks after they were elected and I saw a status on fb from a campaigner claiming they were already delivering on their promises o_O

Our student association president also gave a 5 minute talk in the first week of a lecture with predominantly first year business students this year, and around half way through she had already brought up that she was an Atheist, Feminist, Lesbian from the country (well, ~Farmidale~) at which point I realised that student politics is as much about stroking your own ego as it is the actual politics. Oh, wait...

enoilgam

HSC
Haha I know, what a joke. But I guess student politics is a bit of a joke. The SRC at UTS had international students being eligible for student concession as one of their main policies and coincidentally it happened like a couple of weeks after they were elected and I saw a status on fb from a campaigner claiming they were already delivering on their promises o_O

Our student association president also gave a 5 minute talk in the first week of a lecture with predominantly first year business students this year, and around half way through she had already brought up that she was an Atheist, Feminist, Lesbian from the country (well, ~Farmidale~) at which point I realised that student politics is as much about stroking your own ego as it is the actual politics. Oh, wait...
It is a bit of a joke, like I said before, it's pretty pretentious to believe that you can actually affect serious change by being elected to student office. I'd hate to sound cynical, but I think most of the time people just do it to pad their CVs.

It's funny though because at ND, literally no one cares about student politics (hardly anyone knows about it). I remember someone telling me that the guy who got elected last year turned down the spot. He entered the race as a joke and didnt think he would win - he didnt have time for the role so he rejected it.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I think it does have its place but people seem to take it too seriously and then make themselves look like wankers with unrealistic goals or taking credit for things largely out of their control. Kind of reminds me of school captain speeches in primary school with promises of abolishing school uniform, reducing school times etc. (that was why my school made us "practise" in front of the principal and some teachers)

I'm also not a fan of the fact that STEM majors are severely under represented in student politics, but the same can be said about actual politics.

Last edited:

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
I was so annoyed when people were like 'none of the others believe in same-sex marrriage", it was more like 99% of us do but we just keep our policies within the realms of what the SRC can more likely logistically do. But it was an extreme rallying point to get a lot of people on the ground helping, even defection from other campaign teams for it. Grassroots people have a great hunger and passion that I'd think that they'd make excellent councillors though.

Stand up had the Stand up for refugees policy, that wasn't Grassroots though perhaps Grassroots did have something on asylum seekers as well? Again good luck doing much for refugees with this government on a uni SRC rofl.

Wonder who will end up on the 33 council positions in the end.
Yep, grassroots had it too.

HSC
Played so shit at uni games. Cannot believe it. I don't need words - I just need some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)