• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Official Football Thread 2005/2006 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

niall045

HSC
news on jonathan woodgates debut for real madrid:

one own goal and a send-off. beautiful.

he seems worth every penny of the 15mill odd pounds that they paid for him...

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
lol that was a funny read, they still won but its hilarious none the less haha.

Jimmy_B

HSC
bJ_Bhoy 87 said:
do the epl clubs just not give a shit bout the league cup? while it seems the managers showed a bit of respect by fielding full strength lineups, the players must not care.

they do. because of the arseholes, mnyoo, cuntski and pool it's their best shot of getting into europe. but yeah, dont worry spurs are finishing fifth anyway :p

Jimmy_B

HSC
Benny_ said:
A little less confident since the start of the season Jimmy? :D

yeh, well.......

in better news, arsenal look like they could be without pires, ljungberg, bergkamp, henry and van persie tommorow. wonder what their attack's gonna look like :D

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I wonder what qualifies you as a fan of the team that beats Bayern. I've always rather admired Hamburg myself :O

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
shit, writing this with a sore head. the last day of school went off! im writing this now so i get some sleep and get back at it 2nite.

"Fed up with his treatment by the British press, English football's most outspoken manager Jose Mourinho has taken a vow of silence." How long do ya reckon itll last?

Fuckn hilarious bout Woodgate. I'll leave it at that.

"Chelsea, criticised for making fans pay too much money to attend last week's Champions League game with Anderlecht, have apologised and say they will offer retrospective discounts" The price of the cheapest ticket is $70, down from $84. Still a fuckn ripoff, I think the board realise that by paying so much for players has fucked their profit margins, and despite Abramovich's wealth they want to show a decent bottom line

And finally, GO HEARTS!!!

slip

HSC
err, what profit margins?

chelsea were at least 20million pounds in debt before abramovich.

and prices of tickets have little to do with profit, consider that chelsea earnt 25million from champions league last year, will earn close to that again just for making the final 16, and will probably continue to earn at least that each year for the forseable future thanks to the champs league.

global sales of chelsea merch would be through the roof, these days supporters who go to games are only a small(albeit important) part of running a succesful club, chelsea has the rest right, they obviously had this one wrong and should be critised but you cant really say anything about the overall management of the club now compared too 3 years ago.

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
slip said:
err, what profit margins?

chelsea were at least 20million pounds in debt before abramovich.

and prices of tickets have little to do with profit, consider that chelsea earnt 25million from champions league last year, will earn close to that again just for making the final 16, and will probably continue to earn at least that each year for the forseable future thanks to the champs league.

global sales of chelsea merch would be through the roof, these days supporters who go to games are only a small(albeit important) part of running a succesful club, chelsea has the rest right, they obviously had this one wrong and should be critised but you cant really say anything about the overall management of the club now compared too 3 years ago.
then explain to me the need to price tickets so high if not for the money. the only other thing i can think of is arrogance from the board, thinking that fans will pay anything to see their team. at least now they have been proved wrong

slip

HSC
you seem to have misread what I wrote. or at least taken a different meaning from it then I intended.

my point was you said 'I think the board realise that by paying so much for players has fucked their profit margins, and despite Abramovich's wealth they want to show a decent bottom line'

now I simply wanted to state that

1. chelsea profit margins were fucked 3 years ago when they were in debt.
2. they are now a well managed club looking to make a return on he cost of running a winning team.
3. attendance is a small part of this, they are doing very very well in other departments.

i think you got it somewhat right, when you said 'arrogance from the board' except i would say it was more an over estimation of demand then arrogance.

Jimmy_B

HSC
slip said:
1. chelsea profit margins were fucked 3 years ago when they were in debt.
2. they are now a well managed club looking to make a return on he cost of running a winning team.
3. attendance is a small part of this, they are doing very very well in other departments.
- how much profit did they make last year?

- they look more like an overelaborate money laundering project to me. well managed clubs don't leak money like they have over the past few years.

- in most countries attendance isn't the big cash cow, but in england and especially london, with ticket prices so exhorbitantly high they are hugely important. manure earn around 2mill extra per home game than any other side in the division, arsenholes are expanding to a 60k stadium which will put them atop the domestic earnings list should they sell out 3/4 of their home games.

- fact is, chelsea are only pretending to be a big club atm. you'd never see liverpool, manyoo or arsenal get a home gate of only 29k for their first champions league game of the season, and anderlecht are a half decent side too.

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
@ Jimmy_B- love the sig

chelsea will never make a profit when they spend the ridiculous amounts they have on their players. i wouldnt have so much of a problem with them buying so many players if they werent pushing prices on the transfer market up. I mean 20 million pounds for Drogba was crazy, as was all their buys, except maybe for the price for Cech. yeah, i know they were fucked before abramovich bought them, thats why he got the club at a bargain basement price. i just thought they may have to overprice to ensure their future. i am beginning to think many on the board are jittery regarding the clubs future. what will happen when the money dries up? What you're saying is right, but it doesnt explain the need for overpricing.

And english tabloids have reported jonno woodgates mum cried after the game. It gets funnier and funnier

Jimmy_B

HSC
copious said:
For anyone interested and not with Foxtel or whatever

http://66.17.214.82:8460/;freefooty-streams-online-com-rule.nsv

Paste in winamp, Birmingham vs Livo live.

do you have one for the hammers game mate?

EDIT: @Bj - chelsea weren't capable of making a profit before abramovich and theyre not capable of making one now. the club has always been run like a circus. they play such boring dross football that their fans dont even turn up to their champions league game.

slips claims of them being a well run, financially responsible club are delusionary. almost as delusionary as chelsea fans thinking that they belong to be classed in the same vein as liverpool, manyoo and arsenal.

Last edited:

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
Yeah cheers for the link copious/timbk2 :)

Quite an eventful last 20 odd mins, 4 goals plus a red card...but Liverpool really should hav won it late on, Crouch missed a sitter of a header..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)