The Official QMA Hate Thread (1 Viewer)

Garygaz

HSC
Fuckn worst subject in the world. I have no interest in said subject and will be happy with a 50.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
haha depending where in business you are planning to major in, qma topics may well be the bread and butter of future courses e.g. finance, economics

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
haha depending where in business you are planning to major in, qma topics may well be the bread and butter of future courses e.g. finance, economics
Depends...

You'll need the financial maths in qma for finance later on. Especially for fins1613. Everything else in qma is mostly irrelevant.

As for economics though, its qmb that matters because its a foundation that then leads on to intro econometrics and so on. Mind you, you'll also see a bit of calculus (differentiation) here and there in the 2nd-3rd year eco courses but you mostly won't have to try and solve them with the same level of detail as qma.

Accounting major is no better, to be honest. It gets ridiculously hard in the later stages of the degree (Acct 2b is apparently a nightmare?) so you're stuck there too.

Simply put, maths is really inescapable at our university. Most of us will continue with it in some way because their majors are probably the most useful in helping one get employed.

Regardless, QMA is a load of shit and always has been for the last couple of decades its been around.

Garygaz

HSC
wtf, sitting in qma atm. Wtf are matrices.... Jeezuz

shakky15

HSC
Depends...

You'll need the financial maths in qma for finance later on. Especially for fins1613. Everything else in qma is mostly irrelevant.

As for economics though, its qmb that matters because its a foundation that then leads on to intro econometrics and so on. Mind you, you'll also see a bit of calculus (differentiation) here and there in the 2nd-3rd year eco courses but you mostly won't have to try and solve them with the same level of detail as qma.

Accounting major is no better, to be honest. It gets ridiculously hard in the later stages of the degree (Acct 2b is apparently a nightmare?) so you're stuck there too.

Simply put, maths is really inescapable at our university. Most of us will continue with it in some way because their majors are probably the most useful in helping one get employed.

Regardless, QMA is a load of shit and always has been for the last couple of decades its been around.
Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead but i almost died when i heard that QMA/QMB are being cut from the core subs from next yr :burn:

if i get 50 ill be more than happy... i got 0/10 for that last e-quiz holy shit it was impossible ... and i have no clue what this first order/second order principle shit is.

what's QMB like in comparison?

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
QMB is more statistics. Easy earlier on, but then it just gets crapper (for me anyway).
Stil ldid decent in it.

Btw, QMA is the basis for most, if not all, finance courses.
QMB is essential for some Economics courses & some finance.

albeit, acct does have some elements of qma

shakky15

HSC
QMB is more statistics. Easy earlier on, but then it just gets crapper (for me anyway).
Stil ldid decent in it.

Btw, QMA is the basis for most, if not all, finance courses.
QMB is essential for some Economics courses & some finance.

albeit, acct does have some elements of qma
Glad im not majoring in finance then :) annuities and more annuities hey...

unfortuantely im gonna have to do fins1612 / 1613 for CA requirements though :(

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
Glad im not majoring in finance then :) annuities and more annuities hey...

unfortuantely im gonna have to do fins1612 / 1613 for CA requirements though :(
There is still some QMA in Accounting courses.

1612 = theory.

1613 = Mathematics which you would probably hate/despise.

miaowsha

HSC
thx tehazner and onholidays...but sigh, the first two weeks of uni was complete hellT.T, gotten less painful since but still feel like i m just "tolerating" uni rather than adapting to it. (& sry for exploiting this forum lately for my own emotional relief, since this is the only place i can throw down stress without anyone knowing me in real life)

It's not that i wanna be spoonfed, but i just feel like all forms of support is removed since uni began. There are people telling me how they have friends doing qma quiz for them, and there are those who gets full mark by themselves. Those smart people have their own intellectual support, and those not so smart have their extensive social support....and i have neither.
Wow, people whinge so much on here. Seriously. Go see a psychiatrist. Call a helpline. Go for a walk. Learn some de-stressing techniques.

I don't know if you know but in uni it's up to YOU to get where you want to be. The idiots who have friends doing the quiz for them are just idiots.

If you DO YOUR HOMEWORK and ATTEND LECTURES, you will be fine.

I think you're mistaken... The ones who you think have their own "intellectual support" simply do their homework (best way to start studying). The ones who have "extensive social support" simply have friends. Go make some friends and do some study?

If you have neither and want both go DO SOMETHING TO GET THIS. People at uni don't bite. Well... I will if you just whinge about stuff that you can fix... which is probably everything except for death and some illnesses...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I can give you my perspective, coming from someone who's been out there working for the last 3+ years, that hated QMA and QMB when I did them (in 2003), pretty much 'just' passing - I don't think I've ever used any concepts from QMA since I did that subject...so suck it up, cram and get through it :)

mr.nice.guy

HSC
u hate qma? then u are going to find qmb like the 19th level of hell. its an extra level haters of qmb

miaowsha

HSC
I can give you my perspective, coming from someone who's been out there working for the last 3+ years, that hated QMA and QMB when I did them (in 2003), pretty much 'just' passing - I don't think I've ever used any concepts from QMA since I did that subject...so suck it up, cram and get through it :)
It depends what you work as and what your degree is in. Also don't forget it's to develop your brain to think that way rather than specifically apply those concepts in a lot of cases. I guess if you're in marketing or something fluffy like that you wouldn't need QMA, you can just keep bullshitting your way through your job like I did in my HD assignments for it :)

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
u hate qma? then u are going to find qmb like the 19th level of hell. its an extra level haters of qmb
really? i found qmb wayyyyyyy easier than qma. in qmb you can easily look at the working out from textbook and follow the same pattern and get the answer. qma is a bunch of random mumble jumbo.

miaowsha

HSC
really? i found qmb wayyyyyyy easier than qma. in qmb you can easily look at the working out from textbook and follow the same pattern and get the answer. qma is a bunch of random mumble jumbo.
QMA says the following on the course website:

"This course examines: mathematics of finance: (compound interest, present value, annuities); matrix algebra: (operations with matrices, determinants, matrix inverse, rank, solutions to matrix equations); the graphical approach to linear programming; calculus: (univariate differentiation, maxima and minima of a function, functions of several variables, partial derivatives, unconstrained and constrained optimisation) and the applications of the above concepts and techniques in accountancy and economics, including the use of spreadsheet computer programs.

Assumed Knowledge: A level of knowledge equivalent to achieving a mark of at least 60 in HSC Mathematics. Students who have taken General Mathematics will not have achieved the level of knowledge which is assumed for this course."

Is there anything in that which is complex? Seriously anything?

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
QMA says the following on the course website:

"This course examines: mathematics of finance: (compound interest, present value, annuities); matrix algebra: (operations with matrices, determinants, matrix inverse, rank, solutions to matrix equations); the graphical approach to linear programming; calculus: (univariate differentiation, maxima and minima of a function, functions of several variables, partial derivatives, unconstrained and constrained optimisation) and the applications of the above concepts and techniques in accountancy and economics, including the use of spreadsheet computer programs.

Assumed Knowledge: A level of knowledge equivalent to achieving a mark of at least 60 in HSC Mathematics. Students who have taken General Mathematics will not have achieved the level of knowledge which is assumed for this course."

Is there anything in that which is complex? Seriously anything?
There's no point exerting your intellectual superiority over a course that isnt even going to exist next year....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)