• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The transition form high school to university (2 Viewers)

henry08

HSC
N/A
If you got a Segway, I bet it would be stolen within a week.

Does UNSW ban skateboards/roller skates/scooters etc on campus and stuff?

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
Help is generally readily available. You can email, call, goto consultation hours, or goto peer-tutoring class, or just walk up to the lectuerer/tutor after class. It's just that it may take a little more effort than in highschool, and the help is little less user friendly.
Learning pace will be much quicker at uni, and the material will be much harder and require more thinking to understand. Competition is more fierce and the environment will be more chaotic, so time management is essential. But once you get use to the flow all should be fine.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Competition is more fierce? I don't know... it depends.

Lydia_88

HSC
i agree with a lot of posts above me.

you are free to experiment with what you wear while you are at uni....

dawdlex3

HSC
Do you have to provide your own lab coat and safety goggles?

UNSW needs a travelator between lower and upper campus. So many steps! It is easier to walk up the wheelchair ramps than climb 500 steps!
You save money by bringing your own if you have a set. You can check the CLB Arc Store (the Arc Store next to the Central Lecture Block, up the basser steps) for what the uni ones look like, and if yours look pretty similar, you're fine.

If you got a Segway, I bet it would be stolen within a week.

Does UNSW ban skateboards/roller skates/scooters etc on campus and stuff?
For your question, you're free to use skateboards/roller skates/scooters on campus. Around 4-6pm you'll be seeing some guys skateboarding down the main walkway if you're on UNSW. :p Bicycles are welcomed too!

bregitta

Red is for Rad
HSC
No uniform - you can dress up like you're going out of rock up in your PJs (unless you have labs, as mentioned above)

No daily lunchtimes with your friends - unless you make some with the exact same timetable

A bigger campus - you will probably get lost for a few days. And may have to travel for a loooot longer than you did to school.

Weird names for buildings/rooms - a lot different if you went to a small school

No one forcing you to do homework - apart from assignments, studying isn't actually compulsary for uni. Unless you intend to pass. And don't expect reminders about when your work is due; you'll only get told once.

No one forcing you to show up - some lectures/tutorials take a role call if you need a certain % attendance, but depending on the course you may never actually have to step a foot into uni (not recommended; even if you're half asleep in a lecture, you'll learn more than if you tell yourself you'll read the lecture notes but never do)

Completely different friends to the ones you had at school - you may only see them once a week, and they may live on the other side of the state from you. But you'll generally have a lot more in common with them as you've both chosen the same field to study.

More demanding work - I wouldn't go as far as saying it's HARDER than year 12, but you definitely are expected to learn more in a shorter period than you would at school. I swear some stuff covered in a one hour lecture would be taught over weeks at school

More stuff to do in your free time - Unis often have more food outlets/shops to visit and there's plenty of groups to join that'll give you a wider social circle and the occasional free lunch

All kinds of people - at school you only had people living in your area, your age. At uni there are people from all kinds of nationalities, all ages, and all socio-economic backgrounds. But everyone's really friendly :)

Dragonangel

HSC
No uniform - you can dress up like you're going out of rock up in your PJs (unless you have labs, as mentioned above)

No daily lunchtimes with your friends - unless you make some with the exact same timetable

A bigger campus - you will probably get lost for a few days. And may have to travel for a loooot longer than you did to school.

Weird names for buildings/rooms - a lot different if you went to a small school

No one forcing you to do homework - apart from assignments, studying isn't actually compulsary for uni. Unless you intend to pass. And don't expect reminders about when your work is due; you'll only get told once.

No one forcing you to show up - some lectures/tutorials take a role call if you need a certain % attendance, but depending on the course you may never actually have to step a foot into uni (not recommended; even if you're half asleep in a lecture, you'll learn more than if you tell yourself you'll read the lecture notes but never do)

Completely different friends to the ones you had at school - you may only see them once a week, and they may live on the other side of the state from you. But you'll generally have a lot more in common with them as you've both chosen the same field to study.

More demanding work - I wouldn't go as far as saying it's HARDER than year 12, but you definitely are expected to learn more in a shorter period than you would at school. I swear some stuff covered in a one hour lecture would be taught over weeks at school

More stuff to do in your free time - Unis often have more food outlets/shops to visit and there's plenty of groups to join that'll give you a wider social circle and the occasional free lunch

All kinds of people - at school you only had people living in your area, your age. At uni there are people from all kinds of nationalities, all ages, and all socio-economic backgrounds. But everyone's really friendly :)
Wow thanks so much! :) Very informative. I'm on the excited side now. :p

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
I think the stairs are fine IMO. Well, most of them are. The big stair case just past international square is the most annoying, but other than that, everything seems fine =]

Although, my high school had a similar number of steps even though they were more spaced out. XD

The exercise is good too =]

Sokolov

HSC
N/A
Do you have to provide your own lab coat and safety goggles?

UNSW needs a travelator between lower and upper campus. So many steps! It is easier to walk up the wheelchair ramps than climb 500 steps!
Get a segway! :D
"fuck i walk 10 steps and im exhausted"
"gotta take the lift"

saw a wheelchair bound guy at the gym doing weights the other day i bet he is better than you.
you peoples are much pathetic pretty much why australia has an obesity problem.

as for lab coat and safety goggles you must get them yourself.
from campus stores or somewhere.

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
youre a freak. wheres the international square?
It's at the end of the Mall, kinda where the stairs start. The staircase I'm referring to is just before Scientia Lawn.
=]

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
2 hours -_- Each way...
A drive, then a train, then a walk, then a bus... It sucks lol.
To be at uni by 9, I need to be awake by 5:30 a.m.!

Dragonangel

HSC
2 hours -_- Each way...
A drive, then a train, then a walk, then a bus... It sucks lol.
To be at uni by 9, I need to be awake by 5:30 a.m.!
Whoa! :( And I thought I lived far away!

It'd suck having 8am lectures wouldn't it?

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
Lol, god yes. Thankfully, I don't have any 8 a.m. lectures XD

It's ironic that I live in the Sydney Basin and it still takes so long to get to Sydney lol.

Dragonangel

HSC
Lol, god yes. Thankfully, I don't have any 8 a.m. lectures XD

It's ironic that I live in the Sydney Basin and it still takes so long to get to Sydney lol.
Lol I have an 8am tutorial on Tuesdays for the whole semester... T_T Are tutorials compulsory to attend to? Are they just revision sessions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)