The Woolworths Thread (3 Viewers)

aussie92

HSC
Anyone think that they might push eventually for 24hr trading like kmart i think it would be horriable for workers especially nightfill and cleaning , but they always are after more and more sales :sleep:

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
Anyone think that they might push eventually for 24hr trading like kmart i think it would be horriable for workers especially nightfill and cleaning , but they always are after more and more sales :sleep:
Our tiny store used to be 24hours, but in the end the amount of sales generated from those extra 8 hours didn't cover wages, electricity costs etc.

In fact they probably didn't even cover the extra 8 hours of lights.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
our SSO does payroll and WBS and stuff herself,but then payroll is only 59 employees, so not too difficult.

My advice for getting it all done: remember, office doesnt have to be finalised by open of trade (PoS locking doesnt even need to be done by open either anymore), but lastpay.mac MUST be run before 10am (AEST), and your fucked if you dont, so always prioritise payroll over everything else if WBS hasnt balanced or whatever.

Also, there is a new folder in Storenet (Sore Services / Weekly Balancing Summary i THINK) which has ALL the information on how to balance the WBS yourself without needing to call the SSS in most cases.

ALSO! MY LAST SHIFT AS CSM TODAY! i almost cried, it's like the end of an era
Nawww, but you're finished with woolies altogether, right?

SM has dictated that to do the open the opening supervisor only has to be at work at 7.30, so that's HALF AN HOUR before trade. Which is exacerbated by the fact that our store is probs the only in the country where ALL the cigarettes have to be taken out of the service desk, piled into boxes and taken out the back at the end of the night. Taking these back out in the morning takes half an hour in itself, let alone actually putting the tils in etc. And the dick has done it while the CSM is off sick for a week so she can't defend herself. Grr.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Our tiny store used to be 24hours, but in the end the amount of sales generated from those extra 8 hours didn't cover wages, electricity costs etc.

In fact they probably didn't even cover the extra 8 hours of lights.
Aren't the lights on all the time anyway? There is always someone in the store.

It would not be horrible on nightfill, we are used to working around customers. It would be worse on the checkouts staff that would be forced to be up at crazy hours. And you would need security to prevent random idiots turning up.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Nawww, but you're finished with woolies altogether, right?

SM has dictated that to do the open the opening supervisor only has to be at work at 7.30, so that's HALF AN HOUR before trade. Which is exacerbated by the fact that our store is probs the only in the country where ALL the cigarettes have to be taken out of the service desk, piled into boxes and taken out the back at the end of the night. Taking these back out in the morning takes half an hour in itself, let alone actually putting the tils in etc. And the dick has done it while the CSM is off sick for a week so she can't defend herself. Grr.
He's still with the company.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
There are 24 hr stores around the place. Well i think it makes more sense that someone would need food at 3AM than they would some bras and a Shane Warne autobiography that you'd get at Kmart.

BSammy

HSC
what time do you open? we open at 8 hah.
We open at 7. At 6:30 the front end gets the draws and i help put half of them in the registers.
usually starting at 6 is plenty of time to get early stuff done, but on mondays i just want more time, so i give it to myself.

our SSO does payroll and WBS and stuff herself,but then payroll is only 59 employees, so not too difficult.

My advice for getting it all done: remember, office doesnt have to be finalised by open of trade (PoS locking doesnt even need to be done by open either anymore), but lastpay.mac MUST be run before 10am (AEST), and your fucked if you dont, so always prioritise payroll over everything else if WBS hasnt balanced or whatever.
Yeah, I think i've got the timing worked out to make my monday run smoothly.
recently I've been finishing the WBS etc before the payroll lady comes in, so I reckon I can do it in plenty of time.
just a bit worried i guess about all the payroll and stuff depending on me.

HSC
I got asked to be the store's eco ambassador, because the lady who is it now has the shits with management as they won't let her attend the weekly manager's meeting she's meant to attend, and they won't show her how to read corecomms, AND won't give her time off registers to actually DO anything.
What does the eco ambassador do exactly? We have about 5.

I had a crap night, but thats a combination of a) don't get 'involved' with other staff (iykwim), and b) my csm being brutally honest about what she thinks of me.

</3

Last edited:

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
Aren't the lights on all the time anyway? There is always someone in the store.
No, they get turned off at night, the only lights left on are the outside lights. We don't have a nightfill team, all our grocery work is done during the day.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
We open at 7. At 6:30 the front end gets the draws and i help put half of them in the registers.
usually starting at 6 is plenty of time to get early stuff done, but on mondays i just want more time, so i give it to myself.

Yeah, I think i've got the timing worked out to make my monday run smoothly.
recently I've been finishing the WBS etc before the payroll lady comes in, so I reckon I can do it in plenty of time.
just a bit worried i guess about all the payroll and stuff depending on me.
are you confident in the monay routine? whats your current monday payroll routine?

ours is
-action adjustments
-go through time and attendance as normal
-run mondayam.mac
-action excetptions
-cross check each employee in people planner against their contract if PPT, enter CU, F8, SA etc. as necescary.
-cost last weeks wages
-calculate SMS hours
-adjust charges to departments based on SMS
-re-cost last weeks wages based on changes
-quickly double check each employee
-run lastpay.mac

that tends to give 2 chances to make sure employees are going to be paid correctly before lastpay (3 if they are PPT), then oviously another check when the timecard comes, and another on tuesday morning for the second timecard. As long as your checking everything at least twice, preferably 3 or 4 times, you shouldnt have any problems.

PyroTek

HSC
No, they get turned off at night, the only lights left on are the outside lights. We don't have a nightfill team, all our grocery work is done during the day.
At our store our lights are on till about 10 when the store is closed (closes at 9 though), Nightfillers often reset the inside lights to stay on till they are gone, the outside logo/carpark lights turn off and there is always enough light on to see where you are going inside the store.

Nightfillers leave about midnight and the "people" that do the early jobs come in at like 5. That's our store anyway.

Pyro

BSammy

HSC
ours is
-action adjustments
-go through time and attendance as normal
-run mondayam.mac
-action excetptions
-cross check each employee in people planner against their contract if PPT, enter CU, F8, SA etc. as necescary.
-cost last weeks wages
-calculate SMS hours
-adjust charges to departments based on SMS
-re-cost last weeks wages based on changes
-quickly double check each employee
-run lastpay.mac

there's not so much double checking of everything at our store,
i don't think we do the CU/F8 etc, what do they mean?
also, if the sms hours are out we're not too fussed, they're usually pretty good, the only real fiddling we do for sms is between bakery and prop bakery, and also between longlife and variety. but that's usually dealt with before monday morning.
also we don't cost until after the lastpay.mac

last week, after checking on tuesday, our wages ended up being roughly $1300
one was payroll charging our relief STM to another store, also another store not paying our relief deli manager his merit.
meaning our wages which i'm checking today suddenly blew by the above amount. none of it our fault. :p
luckily sales were good on sunday and we come in only just under budget. assuming all goes well today.

T 360

One of the Fresh Food Peo
HSC
Heard yesterday that our old SM,who does nothing, is coming back. Apparently,he even told one of the former Grocery managers that he would never be a good Manager,Because he works TOO HARD!!:haha:

FML.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
What does the eco ambassador do exactly? We have about 5.
Meant to take ideas from staff RE: saving energy, reducing waste. Meant to attend minimum of one manager's meeting per week (I attend two anyway), receive CoreComms about waste reduction/energy saving initiatives.

I had a crap night, but thats a combination of a) don't get 'involved' with other staff (iykwim), and b) my csm being brutally honest about what she thinks of me.

</3
I am sensing an interesting story here. Go go.

Harry778

HSC
I have to do the closing supervisors holidays for 2 weeks. Started yesterday.

16.30-24.30 monday to friday! I love closes.

Also, what are com checks? (or comms checks)

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
I keep forgetting your store is small lol.

Well there is always a minimum of two staff in our store, nightfill finishes at 12-1, bakers are in at around that time, produce comes in at 4, cleaners clean the store around them. So we always have our lights on 24/7.

TG Fan

HSC
N/A
I everyone! :wave:

I'm new here but I've been lurking for a few months. I work at a Woolworths located in a small north-west town called Wickham. You might be lucky to find it on the map, but if you can't it's approx. 40kms north of Karratha (WA) and 1700kms north of Perth. It's a very small store with only 1 express, 4 checkouts and one smoke shop. It's been a VERY long time since it's had a refit. Someone posted a list of stores which had been refitted and when, and if I remember correctly the Wickham store had one done in the early to mid 80's. It's old, dirty and embarrassing for not only the employees but also the people in town. I feel embarrassed if I have to take relatives there. Most town folk prefer to go to Karratha, but all of us in our store know that if we had a refit the customers will all come back.

The other bad thing about our store is that we get the managers who are new to the job. Our store is the 'training store'. This makes things difficult because most managers that have come through our doors have absolutely no balls and wouldn't know the policy and procedures if it hit them in the head!! Oh how I wish we got one that knew what they were doing.

Anyway, I had better get to my question - Are your managers/department managers strict when it comes to how long you go for your tea and lunch breaks? The managers at our store are friggin' hopeless and gutless to do anything!!! The majority of us go on our tea/lunch breaks and come back after our allotted time, but there are a few employees who go on their 10/15 minute tea breaks, for 30 minutes....or more!! Or some who just walk around with a coffee in their hand for a good 45 minutes soon after clocking on!! Myself and others have complained to not only the manager but also our SSS and regional HR, but no one takes any notice. The morale in our store used to be very good, but now it's at the bottom of the barrel because of these certain people.

Sorry for the long first post.....:rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)