• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Woolworths Thread (2 Viewers)

mitch179

HSC
Working two jobs, some people say this isn't allowed. Is BigW(Recovery)/Coles(Dairy) allowed?????
You're really not supposed to, as it's known as a conflict of interest.

But as long as neither company finds out about the other, you'll be fine.

Roga

HSC
Where do I go to apply for a second staff discount card? I can't seem to remember the site

the blind man

HSC
Quick question. I'm currently part-time and was wondering how flexible my CSM would be if I asked to change my contracted hours. I only need one of my shifts moved and it's not for another 6 weeks time. Is she gonna bite my head off for asking this or do people do this all the time?

Peartie

HSC
i did it heaps...i just said that my uni timetable changed...or just that i needed more time etc....6 weeks should be fine to do....especially if ur keeping same number of hours and then they can just move casuals around...

ritabai

HSC
Re: Woolworths FAQ- how to get a job

last wednesday i had my second interivew with store manager ,i am waiting for the whole week ,no mail and no call from woolworths. it's the sign of rejection??

nice5uy

HSC
Re: Woolworths FAQ- how to get a job

yeh i think it is but you have to wait and see dont know maybe one unexpecting day. I know some people who got called up in months and years as well. Woolworths is really unreliable.
ps call them to see whats happening

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
You technically don't have to write a reason for your resignation on your letter.

You can tell your manager what the reason is, but you don't have to write it down. Although, correct me if i'm wrong on this.

Harry778

HSC
oh my shit!

I was looking through all these photo albums up on the lunch room today, and there where some from 1994 and 1990. Everything looked so different! The registers where like the size of an over-head projector, the smoke shop had like glass cabinets so you could see what cartons there where, there was a big sign that said 'Cigarettes Cheques Refunds' it was soooo weird.

I took a photo on my phone, but dont know how to put it up?
There where heaps of other photos with all the old stuff, like the registers before the touch-screens, smoke-shop operators wearing like a supervisor vest but it was blue. And in 1994 they had white shirts with like a red blazer/vest type thing.

I with I could like go back in time and see how everything was, and how they did stuff.

soo funny!

ytrbut

HSC
That's how I would do it.
Folding the letter in half is alright. Just give it to her in one of your shifts.
I'd be inclined to print two copies, one addressed to your manager and one to the Store Manager. You can always put the SM one in an envelope and leave it in his/her desk, if you aren't comfortable handing it to them directly.

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
You're really not supposed to, as it's known as a conflict of interest.

But as long as neither company finds out about the other, you'll be fine.
Yeah, I thought so...
They are both located inside the same westfield, but at total different levels and opposite ends. I have never actually seen a Big W Member ever inside coles, mabye they like shopping at Woolworths then??...anyway I have had a "Sighting" from my Coles manager and he said he didn't give a shit as he has more important things to worry about..

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
Haha good pickup.

What do you mean store manager and manager? I was planning on giving it to the store manager? I don't even know the manager
You know the Store Manager, but you don't know your department manager? Hmm

mitch179

HSC
Yeah, I thought so...
They are both located inside the same westfield, but at total different levels and opposite ends. I have never actually seen a Big W Member ever inside coles, mabye they like shopping at Woolworths then??...anyway I have had a "Sighting" from my Coles manager and he said he didn't give a shit as he has more important things to worry about..
Hmmm, it's weird that he doesn't care. Did he see you or did someone report seeing you?

I know Big W definately care. I remember when I had an interview, they made it VERY clear that you cant be working at a similar store such as Target, Coles or Woolworths while working at Big W.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
oh my shit!

I was looking through all these photo albums up on the lunch room today, and there where some from 1994 and 1990. Everything looked so different! The registers where like the size of an over-head projector, the smoke shop had like glass cabinets so you could see what cartons there where, there was a big sign that said 'Cigarettes Cheques Refunds' it was soooo weird.

I took a photo on my phone, but dont know how to put it up?
There where heaps of other photos with all the old stuff, like the registers before the touch-screens, smoke-shop operators wearing like a supervisor vest but it was blue. And in 1994 they had white shirts with like a red blazer/vest type thing.

I with I could like go back in time and see how everything was, and how they did stuff.

soo funny!
lol, i love how this sort of implies that the pre-touchscreen registers are like heaps old, they're not that bad.

i'm sure some other people out there will remember for instance

54 transcode
52 transcode
28 transcode
15 transcode
9 transcode
11 refund type
22 refund type
1/2/3/4/5/6/7/9/27 dissection dump

HSC
Yeah everyone at our store remembers all the old stuff. I started a week after all the new systems came in, ha!

yoddle

is cool
HSC
and the number for lychees was 4039. that is the only fruit/veg code i remember, cept for maybe bananas 5025? ah the old days, where i had to add up people's extra cash.

but on another note, a few questions for anyone who cares to help:

on wednesday i start at a much bigger store in the city (i think about 17/19 registers as opposed to our 7) and i want to suss out what it will be like.

1. Is it likely that the store will have a smokeshop? what exactly is a smokeshop? at our store operators ring their bells for ciggs and the supervisors bring them down...will this not be the case?

2. It closes at fucking midnight. Will they take into account the fact that i go to school and shit in not giving me like three midnight closes a week?

3. They said i can continue supervising. Usually at our store we have only one supervisor on at a time cept for wed/thur/fri, how many will they generally have? Also, because of the scale of the store, say i do a close, will i leave at like 12.30AM or later? how much earlier than the opening time do you start if you're a supv?

On the whole i imagine its going to be much better due to more staff and shiz, although the North Tas. head office is upstairs so they're probably going to be pretty anal.
Answers would be apprec.

HSC
Yoddle,
1. Of course they'll have a smokeshop. What store is it? Did your old store actually have a smokeshop?
2. If you're under 18 you can't work past 10.
3. I'm guessing they'd usually have 2 supervisors on. You'd probably leave at the same time, its just like your old store. Unless they have heaps of staff on still for close then you'd stay till they're all bagged. Also do they have self serve? Coz we do so the supervisor and the self serve person stay till 12.30 to empty it, even though it takes about 5 minutes.

I just realised its obviously somewhere in Tasmania.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
I think if you are under 16/18? you need your parents permission if you want to work after 10.

I don't think the midnight finish will be too much of a concern, our store is pretty quiet after 10.30pm (But i guess i am in Sydney and not Tasmania). In fact I wish we just did a flat 7am-11pm or something instead of 7am-midnight weekdays and 7-9/7-8 on weekends. It is absolutely hectic on weekends, surely the time and half on Sunday is outweighed by the ridiculous amount of customers.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)