The Woolworths Thread (3 Viewers)

HSC
She doesnt start till the 4th so she comes this monday! Fuck my LIFE! Shes coming as the SSM for 5 days then the rest head office cashier. She keeps saying are you looking forward to it? I'm just like...ahah yeah heaps! Not really.
Yeah mum, I'm totes looking forward to working with you. err, it just doesn't work, even sarcastically.

When I hurt my shoulder, I had to ring my mum to get a stack of insurance stuff filled in (I could not write at all, and for legal reasons it had to be either me or my parents filling the form in). I felt, I dunno, really creeped out by the idea of my mum seeing where I work (well, the areas encompassing our finger scanner, stairs, SSM and SM offices anyway), so I can't imagine how you feel.

Come work with me for the week, I need someone to occupy me. Our totally gorgeous bakery assistant has gone to Sydney for two weeks, and I'm feeling the loneliness already. :(

Regardless, I can offer you decent trading hours, a neat smokeshop, SSM's which aren't your mum, and, uh, yeah, me.

Let me know. ;)

jgibson0011

HSC
N/A
OMG we're nearly at 500 pages!!! I think we have the Coles thread beat...they're only up to 48 :haha:

HSC
wow! I have mine on 30 replies per page so I don't notice.

I went and saw The Lovely Bones tonight and I'm heaps creeped out. so plz occupy me all. Facebook is not occupying me at all because my friends have ACTUAL lives and don't have to work sundays.
help.

Last edited:

PyroTek

HSC
We don't have SCO's so we don't have errors with them :p
I went out for NY...
Waited for 2 hours for a cab, finally got home at 3:30am, got a call at 4:30am from a now "ex" Friend telling me to give them a lift, i promptly told them to fuck off and also told them i had work at 7am. - After a long guilt trip (her guilt tripping me), she got the message i wasn't even going to get out of bed.
Worked till 11am NYD (meat dept) and went home and slept,
Was knackered this morning, but worked 7am-4pm on meat dept. Load was smaller than usual, so I got it all done and did some work on bakery etc. for the SM. Good stuff!

Our STM is weird! Seriously, he calls work to see if everything is going okay (on his days off) and stays back for 2 hours (or more) past the end of his shift... Doesn't do any work himself though, it seems.

Ah well, sleep in tomorrow!

HSC
ok, ima gonna try to keep you busy..
have you been to either of the perth city stores?
i was in the city earlier in the week and i was walking past the murray street store so i popped in to check it out - never been there before.

the city stores have such a different feeling to suburban stores!!! its so so compact and its got no bakery stuff at all as far as i culd see. its just got rows and rows of SCOs and like probs 6/7 express checkouts that go in an arc and with no trolleys and stuff it feels odd! really weird!
I prefer Murray St over the Enex100 store, but I sort of know where most stuff is in Murray St. I once went looking for Lindt Hot Chocolate in Enex and couldn't find it :(
Murray St has ONE main - thats my kind of store. The security guards there are pricks though, I once bought batteries in there that I knew hadn't been deactivated, and of course I set off EAS. The guy honestly tried to rape my handbag, while I held out the batteries that were setting off EAS with my receipt in the other hand. They take their job WAY too seriously.

And of course, Murray St has the blind guy and his assistance dog doing baskets. However so many people just barge past him and I think, how many of these people would shop in this store on a regular basis, and would notice that he's blind + has an assistance dog. Its a pretty bad representation of city office staff.

I spend a lot of time in the city after uni, so that explains a lot of my knowledge. I think Slively thought I worked in Murray St though, haha.

So yeah, Murray St > Enex.

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
Wow almost 500 pages. I came in at 96, and all of my 212 posts are on this thread 0_o

BSammy

HSC
Yes it was Sorell. They have a pretty good store there. I got told by my STM that refurbs and brandage/SCO installations greatly depended on sales and competition, which is why fucking Devonport has had a million and we've had 0. However why would they pick Sorell? There is no Coles until Hobart, I'm guessing, and their sales wouldn't be overly massive (except for in the lead up to Falls of course!)
coles is about to be building a new store in sorell. they've been threatening to for a while so i guess wollies there was like 'i guess we should refurb before they open' no rush tho as coles there has only just decided on a location i think.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Again, sexist attitudes towards the service department :p

Actually, speaking of the majority of women on checkouts the other day there was this grandma and who I presumed to be her grand-daughter and she wasn't looking at me and said to her daughter "Don't worry, just give your chocolate to the nice lady and she'll scan it and give it back" and then looked up and went all red and embarrassed lol
I said 'excuse me madam' to someone at falls when i was trying to squeeze through the mosh (i am a polite mosher) and then promptly realised it was a male.
Also i have a very lesbian & feminist best friend an one day at work she had her back to a customer and they were like 'excuse me, madam' and she turned around and then they were like 'oh, i mean sir'. roflcopter.

:O what are you saying? lol..

haha! the other day I was standing behind the service desk and I was waiting for office to load and I yawned..and as I was yawning I said
"uhh mother fucker" and I looked up and there was a customer standing there looking at me and I was like "omg..I am so sorry" luckily she said oh no its ok you look tired..hahah oops.

New shit on photo bucket too =D
Peace x
yes! i don't think customers ever mind so much because its so funny and we are so apologetic. Once a lady was saying how nice I am and a good teacher and then accidentally said shit in front of her, really loudly. She roflmaoed.

coles is about to be building a new store in sorell. they've been threatening to for a while so i guess wollies there was like 'i guess we should refurb before they open' no rush tho as coles there has only just decided on a location i think.
Ah, I see! Surely Sorell doesn't warrant two major supermarkets.

I actually love woolworths atm. I'm off from Xmas eve til Tuesday, and then have three big shifts next week and then have all next weekend off til i start full time in the following week! I'm also thinking I'm onyl going to have to work like one weekend per cycle because the CSM won't/can't want to steal s/vision hours off the part timers.

bdude

HSC
Ah, I see! Surely Sorell doesn't warrant two major supermarkets.
I'm not sure exactly how big Sorell is, but if Ulverstone has two supermarkets then Sorell could probably have a small Coles as well.

If they do build one, I wonder if they'll build it in the "new" style and if it will have SCO's

Harry778

HSC
Yeah mum, I'm totes looking forward to working with you. err, it just doesn't work, even sarcastically.

When I hurt my shoulder, I had to ring my mum to get a stack of insurance stuff filled in (I could not write at all, and for legal reasons it had to be either me or my parents filling the form in). I felt, I dunno, really creeped out by the idea of my mum seeing where I work (well, the areas encompassing our finger scanner, stairs, SSM and SM offices anyway), so I can't imagine how you feel.

Come work with me for the week, I need someone to occupy me. Our totally gorgeous bakery assistant has gone to Sydney for two weeks, and I'm feeling the loneliness already. :(

Regardless, I can offer you decent trading hours, a neat smokeshop, SSM's which aren't your mum, and, uh, yeah, me.

Let me know. ;)
lol. Arent you in WA? hahaha. Sounds good. It wont be that bad cos she works at woolies so she know what everything is anyway =D I have to be extra careful what I say at home about who at work too. There is always so much gossip at my store. Probably cos they're all young..most of them. I always get home and go "OMG guess what"! haha.

She starts tomorrow...fuuucckk. I start at 6am and she starts at 7 as SSM. Not looking forward to wednesday..thats my s/vision shift. I can just tell she'll be on my back about everything!

Driving to Town Hall Woolies today..should be interesting.

FIRST POST ON PAGE 500!

dimzi

OMGWTFBBQ
HSC
Argh, 500 pages? Wow, my first reply was on page 6!

Start my Perishables Manager relief tomorrow; my manager is moving into longlife and is getting trained up for a couple of weeks. So I have to wait 3 weeks to see if they appoint me or bring in someone else. I don't know how that will go seeing as though the head HR woman doesn't seem to like me :p

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
Start my Perishables Manager relief tomorrow; my manager is moving into longlife and is getting trained up for a couple of weeks. So I have to wait 3 weeks to see if they appoint me or bring in someone else. I don't know how that will go seeing as though the head HR woman doesn't seem to like me :p
Really make your case known to your Store Manager. Ultimately it'll come down to him/her, not HR who is hired.

Now for my predicament. Would really appreciate any advice because I'm stuck in the middle and I don't know what to do.

Okay a full time Checkout Supervisor position has become available, 40 hours per week, all night closes 2.30 - 10.15. I am thinking about this position for many reasons, they are:

From next week my Department manager is back, so I'll go back to 2IC, which means I'll drop back down to 30 hours. So this is already 10 hours less than the Sup job. They are night shifts, which I think I prefer. I hate having to get up at 5am every morning, and I prefer staying up til 1-2am and sleeping in. Always have done. And also, I feel I am the only one in the department that gives two hoots about it. The casuals we have working for us don't give a crap at all, and when the DM comes back she'll only be here for another 7 months as she is preggies, and she has constantly told me she is only there for the money, and she doesn't really care. This is a bit disheartening for me as I am trying to do a good job, but it feels like I'm carrying the load of everyone.

The reasons holding me back: I do like my Department manager, we get a long well, have a few laughs etc and I feel if I transfer that relationship will go down the drain. In 7 months when she does leave I'll finally be able to completely call the department my own. But having said that, that is 7 months away, and who knows, I may not even get promoted they may bring someone else in.

Also, I want to climb the 'ladder' and eventually end up managing my own store. What route do you think will have better success of getting me there? Service or trade? This is something I can't really evaluate. My SM has spoken to me about future opportunities, and he recommended that I move into Dry Goods (Grocery) because it accounts for 80% of our business, so a Good SM will need to know this area well. On the other hand, I applied for a Management training programme with The Warehouse (Our version of Kmart) and one of the main things they were interested in was service, like how big was the team you managed, how did you find it working in customer service etc etc.

So I'm torn, someone help me out please!

PyroTek

HSC
lordtopcat, I'd ask your SM what they did and how they did it, and how they suggest you do it?
Welcome to page 500 :D

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Argh, 500 pages? Wow, my first reply was on page 6!

Really make your case known to your Store Manager. Ultimately it'll come down to him/her, not HR who is hired.
Agree with this... though I suppose this would be difficult, seeing as dimzi's SM is relieving SM at another store :p

dimzi

OMGWTFBBQ
HSC
Yeah true, although I prefer the STM doing his relief; much nicer imo.

Also, I want to climb the 'ladder' and eventually end up managing my own store. What route do you think will have better success of getting me there? Service or trade? This is something I can't really evaluate. My SM has spoken to me about future opportunities, and he recommended that I move into Dry Goods (Grocery) because it accounts for 80% of our business, so a Good SM will need to know this area well. On the other hand, I applied for a Management training programme with The Warehouse (Our version of Kmart) and one of the main things they were interested in was service, like how big was the team you managed, how did you find it working in customer service etc etc.

SM's always come from groceries, for the reason you said; its the most lucrative of the departments.
I say stick it out for the next 7 months, and by the sounds of it, they will appoint you (management would know that you care about your department, they just seldom do anything to acknowledge it) because then you will be produce manager, and then down the line become a groceries manager, and then upper management in stores await.

SS-champion

HSC
the city stores have such a different feeling to suburban stores!!! its so so compact and its got no bakery stuff at all as far as i culd see. its just got rows and rows of SCOs and like probs 6/7 express checkouts that go in an arc and with no trolleys and stuff it feels odd! really weird!
the Melbourne city store looks like fun with all those SCO's and express registers and it's actually quite a large store too with a Big W opposite. But it might be very tiring being so busy all the time.

I'm not sure exactly how big Sorell is, but if Ulverstone has two supermarkets then Sorell could probably have a small Coles as well.

If they do build one, I wonder if they'll build it in the "new" style and if it will have SCO's
Of course it will be the new style and very likely to have self serve!!

It doesn't appear to me that many store managers have much front end experience... (but I think it would be great if they did) you will definitely need to do grocery and a fresh food department while climbing the ladder.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Yeah true, although I prefer the STM doing his relief; much nicer imo.
Which STM is it? :p The longlife or fresh food one? *should know the answer but doesn't* :tongue:

EDIT: longlife STM. Am kinda :( about this.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)