Was Text 3, Section 1 a Dog or Human?? (1 Viewer)

Was it text 3(the poem) from section 1 about a dog or human??

• Total voters

Manserd

HSC
Re: The Poem Was About A Dog?

lilwim said:
if you did the paper and didn't know what a metaphor is then i hardly believe that you'd get full marks...
QFT

j-3-s-5

HSC

It didn't even occur to me once, i just assumed it was a person.
But when I got out a few of my friends were trying to convince us it was, and it did make sense lol.

But it wouldn't go against you not mentioning, or mentioning the dog cause its our own interpretations of the poem right? and as long as we support our understanding then thats ok??

lol. Would be random if it was tho lol.

plinehan

HSC

The first stanza represents the persona as insignificant, displaced and lost like a dog. Domesticated dogs have no real purpose in life and I guess one could argue that a dog is homeless is some respects. Thus, the author has created a metaphorical outer body comparison. The poem is really quite depressing...

Shoelia

HSC

I don't think it was about a dog, I think the man was comparing himself to a dog. Why would they let a dog on the plane where the stewardesses are?

Garygaz

HSC

Yes it was about a human and he was described to be interacting with his surrounding environment through the extended metaphor of a dog. BUT to those people who interpreted it as a dog, if you supported your arguement then you are fine. For example, I do physical journeys (Skrzynecki) and he came into our school and gave many different interpretations of his own work then the ones that we see around the place that are commonly accepted.

So pretty much, anything is right in English if you can support it.

xtremedude

awesome member
HSC

Its not a dog. Dogs can't write poems:uhhuh:

Manserd

HSC

Garygaz said:
So pretty much, anything is right in English if you can support it.
Not if you're completely and utterly misinterpreting an entire text, based on one extended metaphor.

You're saying that the single tree constitutes an entire forest, to paraphrase an idiom.

Genshin

HSC

lilwim said:
if you did the paper and didn't know what a metaphor is then i hardly believe that you'd get full marks...
qft..again

Genshin

HSC

everyone who couldnt see the extended dog metaphor is a retard.

/fail.

why would he mention "beagles" if there was no dog metaphor - it wasnt about a dog literally - but he used the dogs smelling scent as a metaphor for memory blah blah blah

yew techniques ftw

Last edited:

wongahy

HSC

Maybe it was a werewolf. =P

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A

Yes, because a dog so often describes his childhood, or, er, doghood? as being dipped in tea... thick-ply?

Jake Chief

HSC

xtremedude said:
Its not a dog. Dogs can't write poems:uhhuh:
LOL
i saw the dog as an extended metaphor but i never thought that dogs could live from 1967-1992

Some people are quite Literal. Plus, dogs CANT write poems :p

Kujah

HSC
N/A

Does it matter anymore?

Patar

0101 0000
HSC

It wasn't a god damn dog.

For those of you who are saying those who didn't see the dog metaphor are retards - I will say this. Just because the poem used repetition of olfactory imagery and the word 'tail' does not mean it was a dog.

It's a metaphor promoted by people who go OOOH look at me I can see the deep and subtle meaning.

No.

There was no dog. It was a guy.

And if you ask me, the last 2 texts were dangerously close to the next AoS Focus - Belonging.

Saying that, I had not too much trouble with it.

watsthebuzz

HSC

The poem wasn't about a dog. It was about a person going back to his childhood home. Its described as the "Galapogas" of his childhood. If you didnt know, the Galapogas ISlands is where Charles Darwin found out all about the exotic species such as the finches and tortoise. Anyway, it was an allusion to an exotic landscape.

Further the poet Peter Goldsworthy was very smart playing on various different puns. The Beagle which was referred to was Charles Darwin's ship HMS Beagle. By saying "quicksilver Beagle" it meant a plane, as it is a form of transport. Also the most famous cyclone in Darwin, Nt was cyclone Tracey. So basically, it was a very cleverly written poem, drawing on puns from anthromorphoism (dog), Cyclone Tracey in Darwin, and Charles Darwin.

ps i only got this after going through the test at home with a clear mind. I wish i could think like this in the exam!

Last edited:

bocaj4224

HSC

It could also have meant the Beagle Gulf, the sea off Darwin. The poem was called Darwin after all. The quicksilver part could have been refering to the silvery sea flowing near the airport.
Take a look at google earth : 12°24'32.77"S,130°51'16.27"E
Just a thought

Last edited:

scatlover999

HSC

u guys are all spazs
the poem was clearly about a dog
do people have tails??

u guys are all gonna get done for missing the obvious
my aunt is an hsc marker and she told me that of the three marks, the first was recognising the persona was a dog

watsthebuzz

HSC

It doesnt matter, everyone can see it differently. It only matters if you supported your points with techniques.

Triple777ER

Vamos Rojas
HSC

the exams over. Who gives a shit, its unlikely you will ever be doing a comprehension unless...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)