What are you currently Reading? (1 Viewer)

Verify

HSC
Does anyone have any books they can recommend me read before the Year 11 starts? Thanks :)

Verify

HSC
The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire vol 1-6
Woah, that's going to take an age to read :eek: Do you have any recommendations for Modern History? Would Mein Kampf/Das Kapital be worthwhile reads just in general?

It depends on what you're doing as texts at school but I'd recommend 1984 by George Orwell for anyone.
I see, I've already read 1984, it was an interesting book, but thanks for the recommendation :D Keep them coming please x)

Magical Kebab

HSC
Woah, that's going to take an age to read :eek: Do you have any recommendations for Modern History? Would Mein Kampf/Das Kapital be worthwhile reads just in general?

I see, I've already read 1984, it was an interesting book, but thanks for the recommendation :D Keep them coming please x)
SylviaB was joking btw. There are plenty of ****** like that on this website.

But in all honesty it depends on what topic you're going to be doing in ext1 (at my school we did gothic literature which I really liked but still dropped the sub) and then adv English is split up into topics/modules.

Maybe have a read of 'Brave New World' by Aldous Huxley. You may end up studying this if you do science fiction (I think) in year 12 for ext 1 and its nonetheless a good book to read.

Alexis Texas

HSC
N/A
Does anyone have any books they can recommend me read before the Year 11 starts? Thanks :)
Candy by Luke Davies is v good.

all orwell

if you have the stamina to withstand character development read Anna Karenina it is great.
A clockwork orange
of mice and men (if you haven't already)
p much anything Steinbeck. or Dickens.

um

great gatsby
After dark - Murakami
anything by chuck palaniuk (buit weird but you srsly cannot put it down)
The road - cormack mccarthy

idk

Magical Kebab

HSC
Candy by Luke Davies is v good.

all orwell

if you have the stamina to withstand character development read Anna Karenina it is great.
A clockwork orange
of mice and men (if you haven't already)
p much anything Steinbeck. or Dickens.

um

great gatsby
After dark - Murakami
anything by chuck palaniuk (buit weird but you srsly cannot put it down)
The road - cormack mccarthy

idk
^

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
SylviaB was joking btw. There are plenty of ****** like that on this website.

But in all honesty it depends on what topic you're going to be doing in ext1 (at my school we did gothic literature which I really liked but still dropped the sub) and then adv English is split up into topics/modules.

Maybe have a read of 'Brave New World' by Aldous Huxley. You may end up studying this if you do science fiction (I think) in year 12 for ext 1 and its nonetheless a good book to read.
What? Decline and Fall was a good book. I read it. It was fucking ace. Put an entire era of history into a new perspective.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Read Salman Rushdie. That shit cray.

ShayK

HSC
Just finished reading Poison Study by Maria Snyder and now going onto Magic Study :D
Pretty interesting.

Focus is Key

HSC
I found some crime texts good. Anything by P.D. James, Agatha Christie, Raymond Chandler, Dick Francis etc. And yeah definitely give 'The Catcher in the Rye' a go.

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
I believe the most correct word would have been "immensely"

"vastly enjoyed it" sounds funny. like saying "in the bus" instead of "on the bus" still correct but weird.

"immensely enjoyed it" duh fred.
pffffft. Weirdness nazi.

It sounds fine to me.

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
Finished previous book. I still vastly enjoyed it (not immensely :p). I am now half way through Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton. It's...okay.

Skellington54

HSC
For school: Shakespeare's 'As You Like It'
Non-school: 'The Hobbit' by J.R.R Tolkien

I like reading Shakespeare but I hate having to analyse everything...makes it dreadfully boring. In regards to Tolkien's work- I can never tire of it :) Its just everything I want to read, y'know? I might read his 'Lost Tales' next.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)