• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What qualities do you seek in a tutor/teacher? (1 Viewer)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
An ATAR just below 95 so they are still relatively intelligent but not socially impaired.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I've taught classes 20+ people classes and 3-people classes. Honestly, my optimal number is around 10. The reason is because the students actually work in their own groups and form a 'team'. When set up against another 'team', the competition can help drive students. Of course, students can crack under pressure, but that is less likely to happen with a larger class (effect of an outlier in a larger sample set etc).

What I also enjoy seeing is students 'arguing' with each other over what is the right/wrong answer because it allows them to 'discover' their own flaws, which I believe is a much better way to learn than by being told what the flaw is. Much like how I could tell you not to stick your finger in the toaster because it's dangerous, versus you actually getting electrocuted because you decided to get curious. Of course, you would never make that mistake again because YOU were the one to discover the mistake.

In terms of attire: I always wear jeans and a t-shirt when teaching at home, or jeans and a collared shirt when teaching at work. Too formal with suits, black leather shoes, black pants etc could create a strong image of authority, which will prevent students from asking questions because the tutor is 'scary'. I believe that authority in terms of teaching should be EARNED through your demonstration of your abilities, not through your attire. Though that is not to say that genuises can dress shabbily. Some decency is of course required.

If I had to name (in my opinion), the three most important things required in a tutor, they would be:

1. Friendly (more approachable, students ask more questions).

2. Knowledgeable, and perhaps even beyond the syllabus (students have confidence in their tutor)

3. Dedication (students feel cared for)

When I teach, I like to use a lot of analogies. The reason is because although the students may not understand a concept of Mathematics (say a limit), they definitely do understand the concept of an armwrestle (which works much like limits). So why not utilise their 'prior' knowledge to assist in the teaching of a concept? They understand a lot more easily and your job becomes easier: win/win.

Another good thing (in moderation) is humour. Reason is because it reduces tension and I utilise it to help teach topics by making incorrect things seem so ludicrous, it is humourous.

For example, if I said to you "If you type 'Google' into Google, you will break the internet" (I love IT Crowd), you will probably start laughing at my face because it is just so silly because it is obviously impossible. Similarly, for Mathematics, I've managed to get students to be able to laugh off silly things like finding 'negative area' for integration, for finding 'negative time' for time problems.

There are a lot of things I have to say about education, but cannot just condense it into one post. If you have any particular questions, I will answer them, but I do sometimes find it difficult to make a 'general post' like this one.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I've taught classes 20+ people classes and 3-people classes. Honestly, my optimal number is around 10. The reason is because the students actually work in their own groups and form a 'team'. When set up against another 'team', the competition can help drive students. Of course, students can crack under pressure, but that is less likely to happen with a larger class (effect of an outlier in a larger sample set etc).

What I also enjoy seeing is students 'arguing' with each other over what is the right/wrong answer because it allows them to 'discover' their own flaws, which I believe is a much better way to learn than by being told what the flaw is. Much like how I could tell you not to stick your finger in the toaster because it's dangerous, versus you actually getting electrocuted because you decided to get curious. Of course, you would never make that mistake again because YOU were the one to discover the mistake.

In terms of attire: I always wear jeans and a t-shirt when teaching at home, or jeans and a collared shirt when teaching at work. Too formal with suits, black leather shoes, black pants etc could create a strong image of authority, which will prevent students from asking questions because the tutor is 'scary'. I believe that authority in terms of teaching should be EARNED through your demonstration of your abilities, not through your attire. Though that is not to say that genuises can dress shabbily. Some decency is of course required.

If I had to name (in my opinion), the three most important things required in a tutor, they would be:

1. Friendly (more approachable, students ask more questions).

2. Knowledgeable, and perhaps even beyond the syllabus (students have confidence in their tutor)

3. Dedication (students feel cared for)

When I teach, I like to use a lot of analogies. The reason is because although the students may not understand a concept of Mathematics (say a limit), they definitely do understand the concept of an armwrestle (which works much like limits). So why not utilise their 'prior' knowledge to assist in the teaching of a concept? They understand a lot more easily and your job becomes easier: win/win.

Another good thing (in moderation) is humour. Reason is because it reduces tension and I utilise it to help teach topics by making incorrect things seem so ludicrous, it is humourous.

For example, if I said to you "If you type 'Google' into Google, you will break the internet" (I love IT Crowd), you will probably start laughing at my face because it is just so silly because it is obviously impossible. Similarly, for Mathematics, I've managed to get students to be able to laugh off silly things like finding 'negative area' for integration, for finding 'negative time' for time problems.
Thanks Carrot! =)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say these attributes;
*Kind and approachable
*Patience and willingness to go over things at different paces
*Dedication and encouraging
*Not a robot-i.e chat with the tute kids or students in a friendly way, chat a little about them and yourself, it helps to build rapport.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Another quality you need is adaptability - all students are different, both in terms of ability, goals, dedication etc. As a tutor, you need to have a good understanding of your students and an ability to tailor your technique to suit each individual person.
This. Every student is different in terms of learning style and strengths/weaknesses and you have to be flexible enough to tailor for all of them.

funstudy

HSC
Someone who is prompt, doesn't ask for ridiciulous fees, is adept at technology (sending emails etc), willing to explain concepts even if the student asks for the 10th time, SMART

Frostbitten

HSC
Someone who charges >$50 an hour and thinks it's a reasonable price for what they offer.

vikavish

HSC
From what I've experienced, by genuine.

Thats what sets the tutor apart. Be genunine

That could be through extra help or out of normal class help or extra classes to make up missed work or special preparations at assessment time etc etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)