= Jennifer =

HSC
v sia said:
Dan brown books

- da vinci code
- angels and demons
- deception point
- digital fortress
people say the order you read his books in matters for example you apparently should have read angels and demons before da vinci code...i am reading da vinci code and i havent read the others yet...has anyone found it makes a difference?

G

Gavvvvvin

= Jennifer = said:
people say the order you read his books in matters for example you apparently should have read angels and demons before da vinci code...i am reading da vinci code and i havent read the others yet...has anyone found it makes a difference?
I read Da Vannci Code before Angels and Demons and it doesnt seem to make any difference.

laracroft

House of teh Spirits
Eva Luna
Portrait in Sepia(which follows another book, which i cant rember the name of)
all by Isabel Allende

Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson

i find the ammount of books in a bookshop overwhelming, theres jsut so many, and im intimidated by the fact that i will never be able to read them all, and i mite miss out of something life changing....
thats kinda weird hey??.....

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
miss_salty said:
other books
- Lolita (here's ur perverted book)
- Anna Karenina (if u want a long enjoyable read)
- As I Lay Dying (loved this book)
- Crying of Lot 49 (a very tough read but not coz its boring - it just postmodern)
- To Kill A Mockingbird
- Ulysses
- The Eyre Affair

there's books everywhere. impossible to list all
definitely agree with anna karenina, to kill a mocking bird and ulysses - THE BOOK OF THE 20TH CENTURY that covers every you theme thought possible with such vivacity -- maybe thats why its hundreds and hundreds of pages :)

Oscar Wilde - the picture of dorian gray.

its not just books - poetry is a must! i personally love auden, plath, browning.

brain over load...too much to read, too little time to do so its depressing

Wohzazz

HSC
Thanks Guys. Haven't logged in for ages. I just made a big list of to READ books. I'll start with DA Vinci Codes since it so critically acclaimed by fellow BOS members here. :)

G

Gavvvvvin

Im reading Desperation by Stephen King now. Seems pretty good so far :)

Seabiscuit

HSC
Read that book by Germaine Greer about little boys... its perverted!

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
i bought rule of four today
but its for a teachers present lol
i heard it's gooood

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
miss salty: lolita is the BEST book, go vladimir nabokov! cant seem to find any other of his books...

raybow

HSC
N/A
are dan brown's books in any order??

like do they run off the end of each other and continue???

btw da vinci code.....great read

any body heard of matthew reilly...

apparently he's style is similar to brown's but tonnes beta....
so if any one has recomedations plz state:) thx

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
how about trying some nice science fiction

theres Ender's game by Orson Scott Card

that books awesome, basically he answers the question on how war in space will be fought, and exstremely bright children are sent into space at a young age [ like 6] to learn how to fight, and how to be leaders. quite good

theres also

The Forever War ill edit post later when i find my copy and who its by

this basically addresses the question abotu relativity, a way to travel very fast to other solar systems is discovered, but while your war ship may age only a few months, by the time u get back home Earth will have aged like 100 yrs. a war occurs with an alien race and u can never be sure if ure fighting less advanced aliens [ i.e they left their home planet relatively before you] or more advanced so you could be fighting against technology like 100yrs into your future rather interesting read, only problem is when its set, as the book was written in like the 70's, space trave and the war begins in something like 1996 lol

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Restraining myself to 20th century fiction...

James Joyce-Dubliners (Then A Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man, then Ulysses. Trust me, you get more out of them if you go in order, due to characters crossing over between texts...Besides the fact that they're among the greatest works of the 20th century.)
F Scott Fitzgerald-The Great Gatsby (Speaking of pertinent novels.. The prose style is also brilliant.)
William Faulkner-The Sound and the Fury
Salman Rushdie-Midnight's Children
Kazuo Ishiguro-The Remains Of The Day
Gabriel Garcia Marquez-Love in the Time of Cholera
Arundhati Roy-The God of Small Things
Virginia Woolf-The Waves (Has a unique feel. Woolf's poetic style really comes across.)
Franz Kafka-Complete Short Stories (The Trial is also very good, but his short stories are where it's really at.)
Ford Madox Ford-The Good Soldier
Joseph Conrad-Heart of Darkness
Thomas Mann-Death in Venice
Yevgeny Zamyatin-We (Difficult to find, but this book heavily influenced Brave New World and 1984. Makes them that little bit less striking, in terms of innovation.)

moffat

Yeah. Think about it.
HSC
j.d salinger's catcher in the rye is a good book. its short. and it holds ur attention. lord of the flies is interesting. u should read that. i watched the black n white version on dvd the other day..fascinating. i enjoyed the hobbit moreso than lord of the rings...u should read them both coz their great. i'm about to start reading robin hobb's- assasin's apprentice, heard that was worth reading.

somechick

HSC
N/A
mittens said:
i nearly forgot! sophie's world is a must-read! man! and the solitare game by the same author... they're such trippy books! for a really philosophical mystery kind of book! and honestly when reading them you have to keep the most open mind... if you close yourself off to any way of thinking like if u believe in evolution and u get to the part where they talk about semitism etc. then you're not going to get the full grasp of the book! its incredible and a must read for those that want to battle to keep an open mind... and there's a sub plot that just blows you away... try to work it out! with the major... and all the supernatural occurances and the storybook characters... you wont b sorry! my gosh i really do sound like im trying to sell it! lol

also i loved to kill a mocking bird... but honestly... brave new world...? im sorry but i cannot endorse that! this guy was taking LSD when he wrote that and some other drug who's name i've forgotten... but this guy... no! horrible! if i didnt have to read it and return it, i would have burnt it. well thats my take anyway.
Shite. you sound exactly like me. I was about to post the exact same books but.....Eeek thats freaky.
Yeah, how good is "Sophie's world"? I"ve read it like a dozen times. Its so INTERESTING. All those philosophers, omg its like the best read ever. Josteen Gaarder is such a good author. TEN times better than that darn Dan Brown. What a load of craip.
And "to kill a mockingbird"...where do i start? I read it in year 7 and its such a good book. so intellegent. its getting harder to find books like that. I'd also recommend "wuthering heights".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)